PDA

View Full Version : Whats better air or liquid

GNCC GROVE
03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
So whats everyones opinion and why? I can order either air or liquid cooled. Were goind to race this DRX2 70 in GNCC.

forgiven
03-15-2007, 05:42 PM
If you live in PA I would say heat won't be a huge issue so I would go with the air since it is 100 bucks cheaper. Additionally if you want a high compression head it would be cheaper with an air...I believe.

2 cents given

markvette
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
also right now there are way better cylinders available for the air cooled motors than the water cooled.

Mark

AFROracing
03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
when I place our 1st order I asked Lou for his advise on this subject..

Air cooled has way more performance upgrades as of now, was his answer.. Exactly what I had been thinking!

I trust Lou and order the aircooled!

bulldogfallon
03-16-2007, 05:53 AM
The air cooled is faster in stock form due to the performance of the head, but that will be addressed in the near future.

or

just get some head work done and you will have a high performance water cooled quad. Wouldn't that be done for any type of racing anyways?

Not really an expensive thing to do, so I wouldn't shy away from the water cooled versions in the 90cc quads in warmer areas.

We even have 44" wide water cooled DRX50s arriving next week, along with a bunch of water cooled 90s.....

I will try to post some feedback once they can be run side by side.

That should be an interesting thing to test out

But yes, Lou is the best!! I call him Yoda, since he seems to know the answer for most things....

markvette
03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
the head design is not really the bad part. it is the cylinder and the placing of the transfer ports. the air cooled cylinders are better in this area which means you can do much more in porting one. not saying things cant be done to the water cooled cylinders just as of right now you can get more out of porting with a air cooled cylinder.

Mark

GNCC GROVE
03-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the input. I believe we'll be ordering he air cooled model.

QuadJunkies
03-17-2007, 10:37 AM
There is an approx 6 HP gain from a new GO FAST cylinder thats coming avail. any day now for the liquid cooled.
We are on a waiting list for one, cant wait to see how it does:blah:

Nichols Atvs
03-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Whos making the go fast cylinder kits

jetmedic
03-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Buy a drx 70 water cooled. remove cyl. and throw in trash. goto cycleimports.com and buy a METRAKIT cyl. Install cyl and tell your kid to hold on! These cyl have wicked power out of the box. with a little case modification you will get even more. Just my opinion. I have one and there totally reliable. I will never swith to air cooled.

bulldogfallon
03-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Hetrick also has a nice 70cc water cooled kit.

It is supposed to really perform well

markvette
03-19-2007, 09:31 AM
i didnt say you couldnt make them a lot better but there are still way better air cooled cylinders out there.

Mark

jetmedic
03-19-2007, 09:52 AM
MARK, If you havent seen a METRAKIT bike go you should. I'm not arguing just see one go and you will be impressed. i dont know any of you personally but I browse this forum all the time. You all give me a bunch a very useful info and thanks for that. They are kind of pricy but just try it and you wont be sorry.

markvette
03-19-2007, 10:11 AM
i have seen the cylinder. just telling what i was told by one of the best engine builders out there. billy holt of wrh racing is a good friend of mine, sells them all and ports them all. he has made a few apexs scream but says there is not a water cooled cylinder out there yet up to par with some of the air cooled cylinders. now as i said before this is to do with the transfer positioning on the water cooled cylinders. he said because of this you can not get as much benefit out of a good port job on a water cooled cylinder as yyou can with a air cooled. like i said i have seen him make an apex scream.

jetmedic
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I have heard the same for wrh. I guess everyone has their own opinion. I will not say any more. Good luck to all this season. METRAKIT rules! ha ha.

bulldogfallon
03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
From my talks with a few insiders in the racing arena.....Liquid is the way of the future for these little minis.

Especially once the HP kits are readily available

I'm sending a few quads to Billy to build for race/demos units here in FL and they are all going to be water cooled...even the DRX50.

It seemed to me that the liquid cooled was his preference towards the future?

Once I get some side by side next week I will post my thoughts on the DRX liquid cooled vs the air cooled.

QuadJunkies
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
There is no doubt with the hotter weather we run in that the liquid cooled version will be the better choice for us.