PDA

View Full Version : marines training - need some input please

mine
03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Im looking at joining the marines as soon as i get out of high school, im just curious on what goes on during the 13 week training (boot camp) program that turns you from a man to a marine. I thaught about it. I could either work on bikes for the rest of my life or i can be a marine and keep options open.

I would just like some info on the pros and cons, goods and bad of the marines( benifits) pay checks. The 13 week camp

( im deffinetly not going in for combat with live ammo flying around.) I heard its a 7-4 job, not easy but convenient. mon- fri

thanks
mike

dopeyferree
03-15-2007, 02:46 PM
The 13 weeks of boot camp was probley my favorite part while I was in the Marine Corps. The combat school afterwards is also alot of fun. Dont get me wrong, its not easy, It is alot of hard work but you will get to do things most people never even come close to doing. Boot camp is alot of physical training, weapons training, drilling. MCT is alot of shooting some cool *** guns :devil: .

Scott-300ex
03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeh man I don't remember it all but every Sunday you go to church, then there is few weeks of PT, then few weeks of CQB and hand to hand combat, then few weeks of Weapons, then few weeks in the water, swimming and stuff.

I think its like $15,000 a year.

Anything else you want to know?

bradley300
03-16-2007, 08:04 AM
my step brother just got done at paris island not too long ago. said its the hardest thing he had done in his entire life an he loved every minute of it

Villageidiott23
03-16-2007, 08:33 AM
PT, then drill then more drill then more drill, dont forget all those hours in the classroom, then more drill, then you get smoked, hmmm smoked again, and some more drill. swim quall, rifle range, A line, inspections, more drill, get smoked again, hmmm our daily feast with the fleas, final drill, PFT, crucible, battalion inspection, and then you get the hell outta there. and if you want some bs just go to ITB.

Pappy
03-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by mine

( im deffinetly not going in for combat with live ammo flying around.) I heard its a 7-4 job, not easy but convenient. mon- fri

I think you may want to reconsider your career choice.

Slinky
03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I think you may want to reconsider your career choice.
maybe he's talking about the canadian army:confused:

2005-400exYA
03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
someone lied when they said a 7-4,mon - fri job..i'm in the army and I still know thats BS :) more like...6:15 till 6 or 7pm..and plus I work on apaches, so if somethings broke big time, we're coming in on saturday, and SOMETIMES sunday but thats once in a blue moon...

Good luck none-the-less bro

jrm03
03-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
PT, then drill then more drill then more drill, dont forget all those hours in the classroom, then more drill, then you get smoked, hmmm smoked again, and some more drill. swim quall, rifle range, A line, inspections, more drill, get smoked again, hmmm our daily feast with the fleas, final drill, PFT, crucible, battalion inspection, and then you get the hell outta there. and if you want some bs just go to ITB.

Ah yes, the pit and quarter deck. Good times. That pretty much sums up training.

mine
03-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23

my recruiter told me it was a 7- 4:30 job, he sayid you make $2100 every 2 weeks with 30 days payed vacation, and all he does is is sit behind a desk and makes sure every body gets payed. in the past 10 years he hasnt been to war once. He also told me that they pay for your car/house/wife and 1 kid. I do understand that he is a recruiter and an advertiser, thats why i came for a second opinion.

what does the drilling consist of and what is,smoking,inspections, feast with the fleas,pft,battolian inspection and what is itb.

thanks in advance

wicked13
03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
RECRUITERS LIE!!!!! Iv'e been in the military since 1990 and you WILL fight and you will NOT work 0700-1600. You WILL deploy and work hard, but it is a good career no matter what branch. Good luck and don't believe everything your told.

dopeyferree
03-16-2007, 09:53 PM
7-4 and 2100 every tow weeks, yeah right, maybe as a recruiter you get those hours, I was in Crash Crew and work 7am - 7am, 24 hours shifts, then off for 24 hours, You dont get paid much but you get to live in the barracks and eat at the mess hall, and if you are married and have kids you can live in base housing.

As far as getting smoked and life in the pit with the sand fleas, you will just have to go to boot camp to figure that out , and when you leave after 13 weeks, you will be an expert on it.

JOEX
03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
my recruiter told me it was a 7- 4:30 job, he sayid you make $2100 every 2 weeks with 30 days payed vacation, and all he does is is sit behind a desk and makes sure every body gets payed. in the past 10 years he hasnt been to war once. He also told me that they pay for your car/house/wife and 1 kid. I do understand that he is a recruiter and an advertiser, thats why i came for a second opinion.

what does the drilling consist of and what is,smoking,inspections, feast with the fleas,pft,battolian inspection and what is itb.

thanks in advance
I don't know much about the recruiting process but this doesn't sound right.:ermm:

If this is exactly what he said it may be a good idea to pass this information to the higher ups.

cdrookie
03-17-2007, 05:43 AM
if you want to join the military go to the air force. you sound pretty naive so DO YOUR HOMEWORK, ie... talk to every branch, before you commit to 1. when it's all said and done you'll be "working" around 11-12hrs a day. then when you get back to the barracks and think you're safe, you'll get a call or knock on the door. guess what? you got duty tomorrow or over the weekend or there's some parade they need you in...or you're getting deployed. pay for your car? lol! the local dealerships will rob you blind with their "special" military deals.

oh yeah, you will make hardly any money:ermm:

250R-Dee
03-17-2007, 07:01 AM
There are some jobs that work 7 to 4 BUT you also wake up at 0530 so you can do PT and you will probably have some "instructional" work to perform after your job finishes so your actual work day is longer thab 7 to 4. Then you have to add in the 24hr duties (watches) such as: barracks NCO duty, assistant duty officer, Battalion/Squadron duty driver and so forth. Once week you will have a barracks room inspection. Depending on how anal your inspectors are you will spend 4~12hours cleaning/preparing your room for inspection....blah blah blah

Pay.
E-1 less than 4 months of servoce = $1203.90 MONTH
E-1 less than 2 years of service = $1301.40 MONTH
E-2 less than 2 years of service = $1458.90 MONTH
E-3 less than 2 years of service = $1534.20 MONTH

If you are a hardcharger you can graduate from bootcamp as an E-3 if you are the Company Honor graduate. Some contracts guarantee you the rank of E-2 upon graduation from bootcamp.

Yes, pay is low BUT you will get 3 free meals a day. You will not have to pay rent. You get a yearly clothing allowance. You do get 30 days of leave. You get paid more for being overseas and for having certain special qualifications. If you get married, the mlitary will either hook you up with base housing or give you some so that you can live off base. Thanks to tuition assistance, college classes are EXTREMELY cheap while you are on active duty and many large colleges/universities offer classes to the military. You can also use the GI Bill for certifications (welding, surveying, real estate...) if you do not have a desire to attend normal college.

The lowest rank that makes $4,000/month is E-7 but at 26 YEARS in service. Actually an E-7 would be forced to retire at the 20 year mark so E-8 at 18 years in is the lowest rank to make $4,000 month from base pay.

Printout this page (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/2007paycharts/l/bl07enlbasepay1.htm) and take it to your submoronic recruiter. Tell that idiot to stop lying to you.

Oh yeah, SEMPER FIDELIS!!

AtvMxRider
03-18-2007, 05:55 PM

thanks in advance

LMAO he is feeding you a line of chit.

strnge
03-21-2007, 04:38 AM
[i]

The lowest rank that makes $4,000/month is E-7 but at 26 YEARS in service. Actually an E-7 would be forced to retire at the 20 year mark so E-8 at 18 years in is the lowest rank to make $4,000 month from base pay.

[ [/B]

I took that home today in a 2 week paycheck. With only 5 years in my job. If your out for an adventure then join, if our out for money.....find another job!

All military recruiters are full of crap!!!

Don't forget to include taxes....the government will take 33% of what your earn a check. So if you make 1,500 a month, the government will take out about 550. So you make about 1,000 or less a month. The recruiter tells you how much you will make BEFORE TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Not after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

450ERRRRRR!
03-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Why would you want to join a fighting force and not want to go to war! What I would give to be 18 again and get paid to kill terriost for my Country. I did 4 years and it was the best four years of my life. I should have stayed for 20 more.
Go in with the right attitude and you want have a problem. Your basic training will be over before you know it. They will keep you so busy it will seem like just a few days when it's over. Go in and it will set you up for better things later in life. I thank you just for considering joining when so many of todays youth are just a bunch of spoiled, self centered brat's! Dont listen to your friends who say you"ll get killed. You stand a better chance of getting killed driving down the highways or on your ATV. Do it and become a MAN!!!!

Rooprick
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 2005-400exYA
someone lied when they said a 7-4,mon - fri job..i'm in the army and I still know thats BS :) more like...6:15 till 6 or 7pm..and plus I work on apaches, so if somethings broke big time, we're coming in on saturday, and SOMETIMES sunday but thats once in a blue moon...

Good luck none-the-less bro
Sweet, I was in the 1-101st a LONG time ago...