PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Newbie q's

Hondahoo2
03-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Looking for opinions, just got my first 400EX and I LOVE IT!
2001 great shape accept needs tires, for $2000

Wondering what your suggestions are for upgrades, perf and suspension? I ride trails, dirt, rocks, gravel some mud, little sand.
I ride pretty hard, I can ride 40-60 on most the trails.

Have nows (came with this stuff)
White Bros. E-slip on 12 discs, (should I get headers?)
K&N, Dyno Jets, No LID, WB CDI box

I plan to go into mud and water sometimes, I want to put the lid on, suggest how many holes? I want to use 1" vents.

Anybody have the Trail Tech Vapor?

Thanks!
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t221/jmz_photos/400EX.jpg

400exrider707
03-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Lose the WB CDI, it will only cause problems...

Suspension/tires/motor mods are all going to depend on what type of riding you're doing, how much you want to spend, and how long you want stuff to last... for instance, in tires do you want something inexpensive and something that lasts long, or do you want ultimate traction??? Suspension, do you want the best of the best or just something for comfy trail riding?

Hondahoo2
03-15-2007, 12:21 PM
what kinda probs with WB CDI?

I'm thinking about Standard Holeshots, GBC Ground Busters atta do for me, I don't really want to spend over $75 each. Just looking at rear tires right now.

400exrider707
03-15-2007, 12:26 PM
WB CDI will cause starting problems. Its a rebadged xr250 CDI and is not made to spin that motor over...

Im assuming your just a trail rider looking for a good tire. I would definitely look into the kenda line. They are generally less expensive and they last longer than holeshots. The 20in klaw or the 20" knarly would be a great choice, and are roughly $45 per tire from rockymountain. Holeshots are a little more, and they dont last as long.

Also keep an eye on that exhaust, those WB E series are notorious for cracking off of the mount. Keep an eye on it and make sure its not starting to crack, chances are its already broke and been rewelded by someone.

2003400EX
03-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I got one a Vapor about a month ago and i friggin love it...its awesome....im not quite sure how accurate the speedo is yet..but ill find out..and the RPM's graph and the shift liket are sweet

Barrymaxx
03-15-2007, 03:52 PM
A good set of skid plates is reccomended for trails. MOst of them I ride are rocky.

Razr's are great tires. Last way longer then holeshots. Kendas look good too, but I havent used them yet.

Eviltanker
03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
If you are going to do woods/trail riding look into6 ply Rockymountain, they got some of the better prices for tires.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/

Hondahoo2
03-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Yep, your right, the mid pipe mount is broke. Are you talking about the canister mount too?

Thanks for the 411 on tires, I have been eyeing up the Kendas.

I noticed Radials are heavier, around 18lbs. Have you guys noticed and negative effects of radials and the weight?

Cool, I'm pretty anti ITP, I'd rather go with Kenda, Maxxis or GBC anyway.

Whats the best CDI to run on this machine then for reliability and performance? I'm going to keep the motor stock for now, but probably bore it next winter.

troutman561
03-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Run the stock CDI if it came with the quad, you are running a stock engine anyways an after market cdi wont benefit you to much... Look into the razr or razr2 tires by maxxis, i have the 2's on my quad and my friend has the regulars on his, they are great tires, I have been running mine for almost 2 years and there is still tons of tread left and i ride a lot of lime rock roads and sometimes on paved back roads..

Also, if your are looking to not spend a ton of money, look into buying some 450r shocks, takes minor modification to get them on but for the $100-$200 you pay for them its worth it for trials.. If you want to go with 400ex specific shocks and dont want to spend crazy money look into works shocks, or look in the classifieds section of this site to see if you can pick up some better ones from someone for cheap...

edit: also get some nerf bars, that will save your feet and legs on trails...

GPracer2500
03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Hondahoo2
Yep, your right, the mid pipe mount is broke. Are you talking about the canister mount too?...

400exrider707 had a good call there.

The canister mounts are fine. But that little mounting tab on the mid-pipe always breaks on those pipes (it seems). If you don't repair it it will eventually crack the joint were the midpipe is welded to the canister. My tab broke and I didn't fix it for a while and that other joint eventually cracked all the way around.

krt400ex
03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Hondahoo2
what kinda probs with WB CDI?

I'm thinking about Standard Holeshots, GBC Ground Busters atta do for me, I don't really want to spend over $75 each. Just looking at rear tires right now.

razr tires are amazing. they hook up so well..even when they only have about 30% tread left. they dont wear out fast at all. i have about 100 hrs on my razrs and that includes road riding and tons of doughnuts....they are about $55 each for 6 ply's from here (http://www.rockymountainatv.com)

Hondahoo2
03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Wow, Rockymtnatv does have great prices on their sporty tires! Thanks! I think I'll go with Razr's, I like the side wall tread and I'm a Maxxis happy customer already!

I'll see if I can get my hands on a OEM cdi and yes, the front shocks are original, some 450 shocks sound great!

Thanks again!

hornetgod13
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Check Ebay for the stock CDI. I bet you can find one there cheap.

GPracer2500
03-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the WB CDI unless it proves troublesome. I ran one for years without issue.

Hondahoo2
03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I've been thought the CDI game before with Dynatek and Velocity Devices, some have trouble with them, some don't. Dynatek is great with the warranty and replacing them from what I've heard.

What I've learned is no electrical system is all the same. All electrical components have a tolerance just like machined parts, when all the tolerances of resistance, voltagle and current add up, things happen to some machines and not on others.

With the CDI's, I"ve definately heard of bad batches and good batches. I'm sure WB buys them from some japanese manufacturer with low quality, or varying quality components.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

How do these stock wheels hold up for ya'll?

DOHC
03-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Im running a wb cdi and it works fine

GPracer2500
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
The stock DID wheels are some of the stonger non-beadlock type wheels around.