PDA

View Full Version : Is the rear shock height adjustable?

edz250r
03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
My rear shock was serviced by PEP a few years ago and a new spring was put in along with it being revalved. I see a nut on the top of the shock and the shock housing appears to be threaded where the nut is. Can this be turned if I want to adjust the shock height?

250R-Dee
03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Yes and no.

If you try to adjust the OEM setup by loosing or tightening the you will either remove or add preload from the spring. Too much preload will result in a very nasty ride that can be VERY DANGEROUS and not enough preload will give you a soggy ride. You can add an adjustable rear link but BIG AIR jumping isn't advised because the adjustbable link will be a weak point.

Why do you need to lower the rear and by how much?

edz250r
03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm having my front shocks revalved and lowered so i can be lower to the ground and also to get a little more width out of my front end. Unfortunately, the PEP front shocks I have are not height adjustable.

I'm assuming that by lowering the front shocks I will need to lower the back end as well so the quad is even.

PEP said that they could revalve the rear shocks as well, but it would be another $200. I was hoping to avoid this cost by just making a simple adjustment myself, but it sounds like I won't have the optimal setup if I just loosen or tighten it myself.

honda380
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
look and see if you can find some info on the dogbone part of the linkage. i know they are different lengths each year, so if you change them you can raise or lower your quad's height, i had a buddy that wanted to raise his R and thats what i figured out for him. i think there used to be a thread on here about that. check it out. Corey

Slinky
03-16-2007, 07:46 AM
i believe the 86 dog bones were the lowest...my 86 with stock suspension sits quite a bit lower than my buddies 89 with stock....i have a spare set of dog bones that i'd sell if you want to try that.