PDA

View Full Version : My Trail Kit!

ShiftFMX
03-13-2007, 10:31 PM
So I went to AutoZone Yesterday and bought some "Just in Case" items for my trip to Tennessee in May. I will be doing the Piece of 4" Piece of PVC pipe mounted on my frame for the tool box. This is What I bought...

Small Roll of Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
5" Vice pliers
Slime tire plug kit
JB "KWIK" weld
Blue Threadlocker
WD-40

I still need to get:

Small Tow rope
Mini Ratchet/Socket set
MISC Metric Bolt set
Another set of Metric allen wrenches for the kit

AM I FORGETTING ANYTHING!?

WHITE SEAT
03-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Fix a flat
12 pack of beer
Box of twinkies
yup that sould be it

CRich[814]
03-13-2007, 10:33 PM
fix a flat.

an extra clutch cable:devil:

ShiftFMX
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I definitely thought about fix a flat, alot of people are saying the Slime stuff is better, but slime doesn't inflate your tire too

And a can of that would be tough to fit in there :grr:

Originally posted by CRich[814]

:cuss:

CRich[814]
03-13-2007, 10:40 PM
so if you get a flat, you can fix it. you cant pump it up though. you can buy one of those little guns with co2 cartriges.

i always have a can of fix a flat on me. its light enough. in my bookbag i always have fix a flat, a gatorade, a 13/16 wrench, a few plugs, a small thing of premix, and like $10 just in case.

Originally posted by ShiftFMX

:cuss:

i had to.

JOEX
03-13-2007, 10:44 PM
I've seen them but haven't used a Co2 type filler, how many tires can be aired up with one?

CRich[814]
03-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I've seen them but haven't used a Co2 type filler, how many tires can be aired up with one?

it doesn't say, but you can buy about three of the big cans of Fix-A-Flat for the same price at the wal mart. there about $4.50.

http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=119&productId=p282736&leafCatId=11906&mmyId=

ShiftFMX
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

Yeah, I may pick one of those up, But honestly I wonder how much one C02 cartridge can do? You use replaceable C02 cartridges, and if you run out, it turns into a manual pump

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/RMATV-Images/productImages/400/i/inn_05_sec_win_mtb.jpg

JOEX
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
A bicycle type pump might be something to think about...

JOEX
03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Yeah, I may pick one of those up, But honestly I wonder how much one C02 cartridge can do? You use replaceable C02 cartridges, and if you run out, it turns into a manual pump

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/RMATV-Images/productImages/400/i/inn_05_sec_win_mtb.jpg
That looks like a good thing if it works right:)

x.system
03-13-2007, 11:04 PM
You don't need any of that, just take your cell and your AAA card :D

JOEX
03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by x.system
You don't need any of that, just take your cell and your AAA card :D
And hope you get reception;)

firefighterjosh
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
ZIP TIES!!!!!!!!!

premiumtommy
03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
i have the 4" schedule 40 myself . inside:

15' double hook tow strap
2 16 gram co2 and valve
5 hvy duty tire plugs
5 reg tire plugs
double sided screw driver
allen key
tire puncture tools (2)
small tire psi guage
spark plug (pre-gapped)
spark plug socket

the co2 works great to refill a tire. 2 co2 usually needed for just under 1 tire. But your riding companions should have all the same kits so if you run out someone will have more. The one ShiftFMX showed is def the one you want, but i couldnt find it local so i have the non hand pump one.

tire slime and fix a flat are a good, but you waste so much space in the pipe for them. go with a tire kit and co2.

one of my buddies had a tire that was practically ripped open onthis one ride. we took the tire off the bead. used all the patches we had on this 6" gash. put a plastic bag from our beer against the inside of the tire. filled the tire with leaves, to keep the bag there. reset the bead but used a tow strap around the tire so we didnt waste any air. other than the tire being off balanced, we rode the rest of the day and he only lost about a half pound of air.

the tools you need the most are the one you never thought of and are right there for you.

Scott-300ex
03-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
ZIP TIES!!!!!!!!!

Exactly wut I was going to post, in caps too. LoL

All I have is zip ties and electrical tape.

Zip ties have saved me and my buds more than once.

DF400ex
03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
fix a flat.

I've been there with the clutch cable. We rode like 3 hours to the place we wanted to ride at for the day when my cable broke. We literally got there an stopped, and my cable gave out. Let me tell you, it's not fun riding 3 hours back home with no clutch.

I bring pretty much the same stuff as you, but I put it in my backpack. I also bring an E-tool, it's a collapsible military shovel, just in case. Spark plugs, extra oil... there are tons of things you can bring. But you'd be amazed what you can do with zip-ties and duct tape :D