PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make powdercoated axles?

mephyst
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Just curious... I am setting up a color scheme for my 450 I will be getting. I have it planned out to buy an 07 450r kicker, order the white plastics on ebay...

Then... I want to get all black a arms/swinger/axle/steering stem/powder coat frame and was wondering if anyone made powder coated axles? Or can you powder coat them?

Oh and I wish Hiper made white rings... I want to have the cleanest looking bike ever. All white/black. lol.

After I buy the bike I should be able to do this with 4grand right??

Scro
03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
An axle can be coated, but it will get dinged up pretty good. If you spend your money wisely, you should be able to do everything you mentioned. For 4,000 you may have enough for suspension.

One_Bad_400
03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
i've colored an axle b4... its a waste of money and it looks wierd... axle's as born just to be 2 colors... crome or stock color... thats all! lol

mephyst
03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I planned on getting suspension included. Even if I do have to pay a little extra it's not really a big deal, just got to work a little harder. =]

I just think it would look so clean... everything powder coated black, with factory white plastics... And like I said... if Hiper ever came out with white rings!! That's my dream quad that I will have complete within a few months.

54warrior
03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
What One_Bad_400 said is absolutely correct. Add to that the fact that it adds unsprung weight (not alot, but some) and won't last long at all. Save your money for something else.

Scro
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Look about half way down this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271247&highlight=xsrracing28c) page at xsr_racing28c's quad. One of the best looking white/black quads out there.

wilkin250r
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Why does everybody say it will get dinged up and look like crap?

Yeah, it will get dinged up, but is it honestly going to be significantly worse than A-arms? Everybody powdercoats those...

Pappy
03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
it will hold up better on a stock axle then a chrome one, it is hard to get pc to do its thing over chrome plate.

the problems as i see it is that it will scuff the finish and haze it rather quickly depending on the type of riding conditions you happen to encounter. sand, hardpack mx & TT it will do fine, woods and rocks...fuget about it,,,,

JOEX
03-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Why does everybody say it will get dinged up and look like crap?

Yeah, it will get dinged up, but is it honestly going to be significantly worse than A-arms? Everybody powdercoats those...
On a-arms most damage would be on the bottom and little seen.

The axle can be damaged over the entire surface, all can be visible at any time.

mephyst
03-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Sweet, thanks guys. All I ever really do is ride hardpack/mx/sand anyways. :) No woods and giant rocks/tree stumps to ride around where I live anyways... ha.

mephyst
03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Man, xsr_racing28c's 450 is almost exactly what I would want to do... I am kind of liking the white powder coat job... I still would probably go with all black everything though... =]