PDA

View Full Version : Kinda a pay pal/selling question

firefighterjosh
03-13-2007, 07:32 PM
OK I talked to a guy about buying my banshee he sounds legit. He wants me to hold it until he sells his bike and or gets the cash. He is putting in a $250 deposite for me threw pay pal to hold it for 3 weeks max. Sounds good so far. But he wants me to ship it to louisianna. He said he would set up the shipping. He told me once he gets the money he will call me and let me know. Then he will tranfer $1700 to my pay pal. Then I need to let him know a date for the shipping company to come pick it up.

My question is...is pay pal good enough aginst fraud? Like when I let this thing go he can not take it back? or pay pal wont take it from me?

Guess I am just a worry bug:o

Scro
03-13-2007, 07:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, both parties have to agree to refund the money. I wouldn't really worry about the shipping part. I've shipped a quad before on a pallet, no problems at all.

firefighterjosh
03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't even have to worry about the pallet. thats the great part.

Just heard to many horror stories of Pay pal taken yer money.

they don't charge you for getting money do they? Only for buying stuff correct?

Scro
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
When he sends you the money, paypal will take out a certain percentage. I'm not sure how much it is though. So you will probably only get like $240 out of the $250. I would try to talk him into paying the fees, if it was his idea to use paypal.

firefighterjosh
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
ok thanks

x.system
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't use paypal for the remainder, I would go cashiers check and not let the bike go until it clears. The buyer could make a claim against you after he recieves the bike, I've seen it done before. The buyer got the machine and his money back from paypal.

firefighterjosh
03-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by x.system
I wouldn't use paypal for the remainder, I would go cashiers check and not let the bike go until it clears. The buyer could make a claim against you after he recieves the bike, I've seen it done before. The buyer got the machine and his money back from paypal.

Like what kinda claim?

He is going to put the money into my account on a monday and the quad will be picked up on a friday. so I was planning on having the money out of there before then.

and No I am not trying to screw him I am just trying to keep from getting screwed if you know what I mean

x.system
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Like what kinda claim?

He is going to put the money into my account on a monday and the quad will be picked up on a friday. so I was planning on having the money out of there before then.

and No I am not trying to screw him I am just trying to keep from getting screwed if you know what I mean

He could file a claim if the bike shows up and its not as described or even if it is as described he can lie and say its not then you as the seller have to prove to paypal you didn't rip him off. They will put a hold on your account until its cleared up. Don't trust paypal for large sums of money, paypal protects paypal first, the buyer second and then you.

Your going to pay paypal fees with a large sum like that, it would be cheaper for both of you to just overnight a cashiers check and let your bank clear it.

firefighterjosh
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by x.system
He could file a claim if the bike shows up and its not as described or even if it is as described he can lie and say its not then you as the seller have to prove to paypal you didn't rip him off. They will put a hold on your account until its cleared up. Don't trust paypal for large sums of money, paypal protects paypal first, the buyer second and then you.

Your going to pay paypal fees with a large sum like that, it would be cheaper for both of you to just overnight a cashiers check and let your bank clear it.

Ya your right! He is going to send extra money to cover the fees. Something to think about I guess