PDA

View Full Version : MX ride height?

awsomeaussies
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
What should it be at? I'm ordering Motowoz front shocks and I'm not positive, but I believe it should be around 8" for mx. I'm also running 20" front tires.

Scro
03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
I think it should be around the 6" range for MX, but let someone else chime in before changing anything. I run 7.5" for XC.

Scro
03-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Also, measurements should be taken with you in full gear on the quad.

awsomeaussies
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Right! So when I give Motowoz the ride height... I'm sure they'd assume that's with me on it:confused: Hopefully. lol

hmm... maybe it should be set somewhere between 7" - 7 1/2" then?

"THE ShoP"
03-14-2007, 12:23 AM
anywhere from 7-9 inches is good for mx

division4thor
03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Fox says it should be between 7-8in in the back, right in front of the nerf bar...and the front should be 3/4 to a 1/2 in higher and thats at the front motor mount...

Chino886
03-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Good read! I did not write it.

From GT Thunder website:

Steps in setting up your suspension:

1. Set the front race ride height to match the rear - see below for info on measuring your quad and adjusting it. The front needs to be ¼ inch higher then the rear.

2. Adjust compression to your liking after you have test ridden your quad.

3. Have your race ride height (both front and rear) and your race sag measurements handy if you contact us for any further info on setup after you have ridden your quad.

Race ride height:

After installing any suspension component, you need to verify and readjust race ride height. To do this you must first set your bike on the ground.

You now need to set the race ride height. This is measured with the rider standing on the foot pegs with the tires aired up properly. Roll the bike back and forth and bounce up and down to neutralize all the suspension.

There are 2 places you need to measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground (with rider standing on the pegs):

1) Right at the foot pegs

2) 22 inches forward from foot pegs

All rear shocks that we work on are shipped with 3 turns of preload in the rear spring, this is a good starting point. Q: What is 3 turns of preload? A: With the shock lying on the bench if you tighten down the top spring collar until it just touches the spring, this is 0 preload. Now continue to tighten it an additional 3 turns. This is only a starting point and following thru by adjusting the front ride height to match it is very critical to having a balanced setup.

Beware: If you try to reach a predetermined ride height in the rear you can chase your tail due to variation in tire sizes, wheel width effecting tire height, tire balls, and rear axle housing adjustment.

Now set you front ride height ¼ inch higher than the rear. To do this you need to adjust the front spring preload collars up to lower the front and adjust them down to raise the front.

Setting the clickers:

If we worked on your rear shock – we set the rebound for you – please do not change it.
Feel free to change the compression setting to your liking.
Make sure that the front rebounds faster then the rear for a good balanced setup.

Measuring Race Sag:

1. Race sag is the amount the quad settles from fully extended with the rider on board. First, put the quad up on a stand, measure the distance from the axle (vertically) to some point on the sub frame (make a mark if you need to).

2. Take the quad off the stand, put the rider on board standing on the pegs, have the rider hold onto something for balance, bounce up and down a little to stabilize the rear end. Now again measure the distance from the axle to the point on the sub frame where you took the measurement in #1.

3. Now deduct the measurement from #2 from the measurement in #1. This is your Race Sag.

4. To adjust Race Sag tighten or loosen the adjusting collars. If you have too much race sag, you need more preload, too little race sag you need less preload.

Q. What should the race sag be set at?? A. There is no magic number but this is info we will need along with your precise ride height if you contact us with any questions after you have set the front ride height to match the rear and after you have ridden the quad ridden the quad.

DEVINF450R
03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
www.****TechATV.com has great things for suspension set-up motor specs...lot of very good tech tips..

DEVINF450R
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
the **** is M.a.u.l but it won't post for some reason

awsomeaussies
03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks! I read both articles and printed them:D It's all starting to make sense now. lol