View Full Version : good news & bad news

quadfamily
10-23-2001, 08:52 PM
Last night I had some energy so I worked on both my sons quads doing some maintenanace. I also installed a Moose clutch perch on my sons 250X. This is an awesome perch, I have one on my 300EX too. Then I figured I'd put that new chain and sprockets on my 300EX. I installed a Renthal 14T countershaft sprocket with stock size rear. When I got finished I realized my axle bearings are shot big time! With my bike up on a milk crate I can grab the right rear tire and move the whole thing back and forth. It looks like there's about a half an inch of play in the bearings. Luckily I have another carrier(good bearings) off of a '98 ready to go in but it's still work! I had been hearing noises but I thought it was the chain. I did have a tooth missing from the countershaft sprocket! I think it was the original chain and sprockets from 1994.

kc 300EX
10-24-2001, 03:08 PM
gotta be careful of those noises. One weekend me and my cousin went riding(he has a Warrior) and the night b4 I had put new breaks on, well the next day I heaqrd a funny noise, and it worried me, but my cousin kept assuring me that it was just my new breaks...........

Weeellllllllll, NO, it wasnt my breaks, after riding all day, being about 10 miles from home, we noticed there was about 8 inches of play in my axle! The whole inside of my carrier was stripped out, there were no bearing left whatsoever, 500 bux, weird noises bad

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 03:18 PM
i just had all new bearings put on the rear axel
i change my rims pretty often from stock rims--tall tires and
ITP rims trekker's-small tires- and check it all out before
i let it back down-
i got an extra set of berings man- but,,
sorry i'm keepin' um'

400exRacerX
10-24-2001, 06:50 PM
Thats a really commen problem with 300ex's.....just about everyone i know that has a 300 has already replaced the carrier and bearings atleast once.

"BLAHH"300!!
10-26-2001, 08:36 AM
here's another sitistic-
i;ve replaced mine before-
it was kinda fun - i think

10-26-2001, 09:30 AM
Ok so what did we learn today??

weird noises= Big problems

11-09-2001, 05:42 PM
I herd when you put a 14t sprocket on you have to grind the case saver down to make it fit, did yours just fit in or did you have to do this, thanks.
rocky9@frontiernet.net e-mail me with any info.

quadfamily
11-09-2001, 08:08 PM
I had to grind my case saver. It was easy though. Did it with my belt sander. Held the case saver on the end of the sander where the drum is. It worked great, took 5 minutes.

11-10-2001, 07:03 AM
I'll try that today, thanks.