PDA

View Full Version : HRC kit in 2004

tjar66
03-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey all I am wanting to install an HRC kit into my '04 450R.
Any tips or advice? I hear there are a couple of tricks that make the job go a bit smoother.
Thanks in advance for advice

450RRyder
03-13-2007, 03:48 PM
i found this online and the steps were pretty easy. http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/450r_how_to_guides.htm

vwjohnny
03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Do it! Beware the cam gear bolts... Mine were quite tough to get out.

TWILES
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
If you haven't already bought the HRC kit, look into LRD. They have got great things for the 04/05 450R's.
www.lrdperformance.com
I've been leary of sending my motor to have it built but they used to make FAST 250R's, Banshee's, and everything else they touched + out of 10 places I emailed, they took the time to email me back and answer a few questions.

If the engine kit button doesn't take you to the page and you stay on the homepage, do a search (i use MSN) for LRD Engine Kits. Then you should be able to get to it.

mephyst
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I've always heard that the wait time at LRD is foreverrrrrr. I've known 2 people that have had their banshee motors in there for a fairly basic rebuilt and took around like 4-5 MONTHS.

swood74
03-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I will try to make this short, I bought a yfz, LRD did web cams , springs porting and put in a new sleeve, over size piston. It was fast. BLEW head gasket 2 months later just 2 months. They told me that they discontinued the motor kit they sold me, and not only that they refused to work on their motor that they had, worked on only them no one else....

Told them to F off and I would share this with anyone that asked, about LRD.

ON a happy note I got the bike fixed and sold it.

Now I own a Honda 450 and havent looked back.

TWILES
03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Not taking up for LRD because that sucks but a lot of people had problems with the first YFZ's. Thats why we got the Honda.

swood74
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
hey I know what you are saying, I had a 250r for many years, I just jumped on the hotest fourstroke at the time , honda didnt have one.

It was not a oem part from yamaha that failed it was LRD's kit that they failed to stand behind. and for the record I had zero problems with the yfz till LRD worked on it....

But its all good im back to my roots now.!!!!

TWILES
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
What about the kit failed? The one for the Honda I've looked and talked with them about is all head modifications/new parts, and a piston. Did you get a crank or something?

swood74
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Look just to be clear we are talking about a yfz kit put on by LRD..

I do not mean to hyjake the thread....just had extremely bad luck with LRD and want my fellow ATv ers to know what they are capable of pulling off.

the bike had the head ported and the jug was resleeved for a over size piston, I had LRD mill the piston so that the compression wouldnt be to much that I had to run race fuel.

with that said the head gasket failed, not the stock OEM one but the one that was I think a +5mm to make up for the over size sleeve. there kit left me with a problem... And they discontinued the parts to fix it and would not help me at all .....basically the needed to say...ok we dont carry the kit we put in your bike, this is what its going to take to get you back on the trails. And go from there . they refused do labor , sell parts, or offer to find some one that would fix the mess they had created.

TWILES
03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Thats the reason I've had a 2004 450R stock since 2004. I've been scared to do any work because of thigs like that. Maybe its getting better.

swood74
03-15-2007, 12:30 PM
ya after the yfz, i got a 2005 450r

end cap , kn filter, and with the right jetting im very pleased.

TWILES
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I can't make myself buy the HRC kit but I really wish it would carry on past half throttle. I'm not a huge fan of the stock suspension either. I guess I got burnt. My Banshee and 250R had long-travel front-end with nice shocks. Riding the R in rough trails, to me, it almost feels like an oversized Yamaha Champ the way the rear-end kicks and the front-end is either dead or stiff. I've cranked on the shocks and there is no in-between. It really shines when you are out where you can open it up. Stock, it can handle a whole lot more motor than it has handling wise. I have to get rid of a 2005 WR450F and I'm going to start building it over the cource f the summer. It seems like atleast a few of the big-named engine builders are agreeing on things. There for a while they all had different routes and I was scared to spend ANY money on the bike, fearing what happened to you with your Yamaha would happen to me.

swood74
03-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I enjoy my bike stock, and I dont know that I would use the HRC kit.

I think if any thing that I would add to my bike would be the curtis sparks cam. But Im in no hurry. In fact I might sell my 2005 and my 2004 400ex, and get 2 new 2008 450's. who knows

TWILES
03-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I've considered getting an 08 for ME. My wife is technically the owner of the 04 we have. The starter issues that everyone *****es about but forgets when asked about on the 06/07's bothers me. I would have gotten an 07 if they had been fixed. Hopefully they will for 2008. I'm afraid that a kick-start will have to added like the rest of them now. I'm going to wait and see how the money comes in this year. I'm a residentual masonry contractor and it is not picking up as fast this year as I would like.