PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 1996 300ex

Biker Glasses
03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
A couple questions, wanted to do an oil change, does anyone have a guide on doing one, pictures, etc?

I know the filter is on the right side, under the exhaust, is there just one drain plug under the engine? Also can I use polaris synthetic oil, I have a few quarts laying around from my Outlaw.

Also, any pictures of the Carb, seems like it's idle is set hight, want to adjust it. [found something, should be a screw on the left side, under the carb, correct?]

Also, is there any inexpensive mods I should be looking at.. All this has done is a UNI filter, everything else looks stock. This bike is for my wife to learn on, but more power is always better... :)

Thanks,

travco_102
03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Well the screw to drain the carb is on the right side i cant help you with the idle but there is only one drain plug..also the polaris oil should be fine i have used everything from penziol to chevy and certified honda. but changing the oil is easy romove the drain plug and filter wait for the oil to drain completely and the put the new filter in put the cover on then insert the plug and add the oil. but agin cant help with the idle.....stock exhaust?? if so curtis sparks or Hmf are the exhaust systems i reccomend.

Biker Glasses
03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
thanks alot, figured it all out.

Only problem is it seems when I push the yellow choke up, nothing happens, any idea what could be wrong?

Also, looking for some info on upgrading the shocks --nothing expensive, as cheap as I can do, do 400ex shocks bolt right up, ?

Also wondering why there are no grease nipples on this bike at all, has anyone drilled and added any?

Thanks,
Ian

Caseys 300ex
03-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I have a raptor rear shock that makes a great addition to a 300ex. Ill sell it for $80 shipped. Its of a 2003 and can be made to work by just cutting on the left airbox support. i did if and strenght of frame was not effected.

Dan229
03-16-2007, 01:10 PM
For a good front end setup without too much cost keep an eye on ebay and the parts section on this site for plus 2 or plus 3 300ex arms and get a set of stock 450R front shocks and a shock relocator.

The 450's shocks are rebuildable and can be had fairly cheaply. The shock relocator can be purchased from JB racing.

If you can find a good deal on 400ex arms, spindles, etc...you swap the entire front end out if you wanted to go that route but the cheapest would be to use as many of the existing parts off the 300 as you can.

Lastly, get a Honda shop manual as you will probably have to do some maintence eventually like adjust the valves, or rejet the carb if you pipe it and having a manual is a must in my view.

Ted J
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Caseys 300ex
I have a raptor rear shock that makes a great addition to a 300ex. Ill sell it for $80 shipped. Its of a 2003 and can be made to work by just cutting on the left airbox support. i did if and strenght of frame was not effected.

What year raptor is it from and is it from a 660R or a 350 Raptor?

Caseys 300ex
08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Its off a 660r.