PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp question

Lowcountrydave
03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
06 400EX

I just installed the Air Cooled Sensor (Trailtech) I don't have a clue what these motor temps get up to. But watching the Vapor computer. The temp sitting at idle climbed to 280!!! (Farenheit) I think it would have went higher but I turned it off. Most cars would melt down at those temps. Has anybody ever measured the engine temp?

Thanks for any info.
Dave

clubert
03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't even think that the air-cooled engine temp sensor for the 400ex's was out yet. It doesn't show on thier website that it's avaiable yet. Where'd you get one?

As far as the temp goes, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see it hit 300 or probably even higher, just sitting there idling. I don't think that will hurt it. And nothing on a car will melt at 300, either. The melting point of aluminum is over 1200 degrees. The reason automobiles need to keep the temp down is because of the coolant. once the coolant starts to boil around the cylinder walls, it can't conduct heat anymore, and makes the cylinder walls burn up.

back on topic, it's probably not a bad idea to shut it off if it is sitting there idling and getting that hot, but i wouldn't think you'd need to worry about any damage till well over 350 or higher.

just my $.02 though, others may not agree with me.

GPracer2500
03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Remember that the temp you see in a car is the temperature of the coolant. It's not measuring the temp of the head like you're doing on the 400EX (I'm assuming this is one of those spark plug washer type sensors?).

Lowcountrydave
03-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Clubert, the sensor is from Trailtech. It was in develpoment for atleast 6 months that I was waiting on it.

GPracer2500, correct its the sensor that takes place of the spark plug washer.

Now I've worked on cars all my life, and have been in every tight spot installing motors, engines, etc. But there is no way to tighten the spark plug with that sensor in place. The design to me is not quite "friendly" to installation. I think the tab needs to continue further up past were the socket can turn and not hit the round body of the sensor. I installed it under the center valve cover bolt (long bolt) and ran it up the oil line with pull/ties. So it makes no contact other than at the bolt and where it plugs up. Tomorrow I will see how high the temp reaches.

Dave

clubert
03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Dave,

Did you have to call them directly to order it? It's not on their website yet. I've been waiting on it for about 10 months, and have emailed them 2 or 3 times, and it hasn't been ready yet.

thanks

Lowcountrydave
03-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I called them, and kept an open email with Chris at Trailtech. Don't pay for it! If the kit should have come with it; they owe you that sensor. One lady wanted to charge me and make it ok by saying "well you got the Vapor at a discount price" Needless to say I wasn't paying for something that should have been in the kit. Chris was very helpful. (12m) was the size needed for my 400

Dave

exrider23
03-13-2007, 06:14 AM
how much did you pay for the kit?

Lowcountrydave
03-13-2007, 08:33 AM
The Vapor (kit) was $99.00 plus tax/shipping

Dave

REDRIDDER
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Can anyone send me some videos on that trail-tech kit,id love to have one because don't they read rpms,temp outside,engine temp,hours deffinly would be nice especially on a rebuilt engine cause you could keep track of your hours in order to keep your oil up to par,also tells you mileage i think theirs a bunch of things that it does and i want one.Please someone send me a video of it on your quad so i could see it in action.LOWCOUNTRYDAVE IS YOURS ON A EX IF SO IS YOUR EX MODDED AND HOW FAST DID THE VAPOR SAY YOU WENT?DOES EVERRYTHING SEEM TO BE ACCUERATE?THANKS FOR ANY INFO GUYS. OH ONE MORE THING DONT YOU NEED TO BUY THE VAPOR AND A MOUNTING KIT ANY THING ELESE YOU NEED TO BUY TO RUN IT.

Lowcountrydave
03-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Well I ran the 400ex (Idling in the backyard) I wanted to test the new air cooled sensor. I timed it and after 24 minutes the temp was 330 Degrees Farenheit. I didn't want to cause any uneccessary fatigue on the engine so I shut it off. It probably would have climbed higher I just didn't want to find out. It will be interesting after a trail ride and averaging around 18 mph to see the temp reading.

Dave

REDRIDDER
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
yeah keep us posted,i liked to here more.

Mustangous
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I know this was a long time ago, but what bolt are you talking about that you attached the wire to? Did you retorq and is so what are the torq specs ont he head cover?

dalejiw25
10-29-2009, 04:34 AM
How did you mount that? I went to their website and they list dashboards for everything but a 400ex with 7/8" bars.
Maybe you can post a pic. ????

Lowcountrydave
10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Mustangous,

I attached it to bolt number 6 in your diagram. I didn't retorq, normally I would. But I snugged it up according to how much it felt like it was tightened. If I had remove the cover all together I would have retorqed them all.

Hi dalejiw25,

You have to upgrade your bars to the X-bars, they are 1 1/8 and work with the dashboard and risers. Here is a link to the pictures you wanted of the install.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261505

Hope this helps.
Dave

brewster426
11-01-2009, 12:23 PM
i raced karts for 5 years and the temp lead on our tac went underneath the spark plug, u just had to re index it. we ran our temp at around 400F. our motors ran on alcohol but that shouldnt have much effect on the temp of the motors. i wouldnt be scared to go 350F on the 400ex. just my .02

honda400ex2003
11-01-2009, 01:36 PM
My oil is about 250 at most but this is in the res. with an xrs only one. I would say that it can be 400 easily at the plug at the top of the cylinder so you should be fine. The exhaust temps are really high right there so there is also heat generated from that too. Steve

ryder_trig
11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I have had the trail tech vapor for about a year now. I'v ridden in the cool weather near big bear and out in Glamis where it's much warmer. The temp while riding stays around 200*f because there is a constant wind pushing over the engine. After a ride when the engine shuts off the temp climbs because the internals are radiating the heat outward. The max I've seen my temp is 340* and believe me it scared the ^&8$% out of me. i thought "complete melt down". No problems whatsoever. It's the nature of an air cooled beast. I'm using the same brass temp sensing ring that's shown in this discussion.