PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I get my 416 jetted correctly???

400exPete
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey guys! I have been having some problems with my 416. No matter what I do I can't get this thing to run cleanly. Let me first let you guys know what I have done to the quad.
I have a 11:1 Wiseco piston, stage 2 hotcam, Rickys rev box, full 2 bros exhaust with 7 disks in, and an aluminum air box with a K&N with prefilter (no lid). I have a 160 main (stock jetting not any kit), a 142 pilot and the needle is on the 3 clip. I have the pilot screw at 2 1/2 to 3 turns out, the choke was out ( I have recently put it back in to try and help starting). I quad about 500 feet above sea level in 40-90 degree weather.

When I try and start the quad I hit the gas 2-3 times and then hit the starter. The quad kicks over and starts but dies immediately whether I try and hit the gas or not. Adding the choke has not seemed to do me any good. When I finally do get it running it runs fine, but seems rich from what I see happening to the plug and end pipe. I am fouling out plugs (I think from the starting issues) and I get black soot at the end pipe. When it gets warm out it definitely starts easier, but I would like to get this thing to start in any kind of weather.

Is my jetting that far off? Is the Ricky's Rev box garbage? Could it be something other than these two things? I just want to get this thing to start and run a little easier. The season is getitng ready to start so I need to sort this out. Thanks for the help guys.

Honda#4
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Whats in there for a pilot jet?

js3350z
03-12-2007, 09:53 PM
he has 142 written in there for pilot, so I think it is pretty safe to assume 42 ;)

400exPete
03-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Sorry about that! Yes it is a 42 pilot not a 142. duh!:rolleyes:

underpowered
03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
well i would take the chock back out. with the 42 pilot and the choke it is just overkill trying to start it. either remove the choke, stop using it, or put the stock 38 pilot back in.

as for the other jetting, 160 sounds lean to me. in my 426, stage 2 cam, choke removed, HMF slip on i ran a 178 main jet. your pilot sounds good with the 42, but the main sounds lean.

as far as starting that is normal. with the stock carb and a 42 pilot in order to start i had to pump the throttle 3 times and crank till it fired. then i would not run long, so i pumped teh throttle 3 more times and cranked it till it fired. it would run for a few second then die. finally pump 3 more times and crank till it fires and it shoudl stay running.

with the FCR now, pump the throttle about 5 times and it fires right up and stays running no matter how cold the weather.

Honda#4
03-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Put in a 165 main that should help

400exPete
03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. If I am lean then why would the plug be fouling?? I am going to take the choke out and switch the Ricky's rev box out for the stock rev box and see if that helps. I'll let you guys know. Thanks, again.

underpowered my starting process is similar, but I never get it to continue to run. It just runs for a few seconds then dies and continues to do so, unless it is about 65 degrees out.