PDA

View Full Version : sprocket hub????need help

loungingfool
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/soobieWRX06/146830617_481701728_0.jpg

so as you can see 3 of the 4 tabs on the sprocket hub cracked and broke. dont ask me how it happend:confused: my question is this peice part of the whole axle or is it something that could be replaced without replacing the whole axle. i took a quick look and it looks like its pressed on or something, and it seems like all the axles i see for sale already have this piece on leading me to believe its part of the axle.....any help would be greatly appreciated before i go ripping this thing apart....thanks

CSR400EX
03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
correct me if im wrong, but from the picture it looks like a durablue axle, and durablue sells replacement sprocket hubs for their axles. and i think they may have to be pressed off

loungingfool
03-13-2007, 01:00 AM
yea, im pretty sure its an old rusty durablue axle. i just got this machine like a week ago, went for one good ride and this happened. thanks for the info, i'll look into it.

JOEX
03-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm not for sure about this but i've read there is snap ring or something similar on one or both sides of the hub that needs to be removed also...

Can someone confirm weather or not this is true?

"THE ShoP"
03-13-2007, 01:15 AM
I know someone who has pressed theres off.so it can be done I will get back to you 2moro an let ya know how

I hope that dosn't happen to mine!!!

Sheepdog
03-13-2007, 06:57 AM
It is a Durablue hub, I just changed mine. :mad:

You don't need a press to get it off. It does help to have one to put the new one back on.

Just remove the axle. You can then hammer the hub down to expose the snap ring with axle end supported on a wood block. The snap ring is a bit$h to get off. We used various pliers and screwdrivers. It helps to have a friend. Once ring is off, you can knock the old hub off.

Clean up everything and press on the new hub. Don't want to hammer it as you may bend it and at least mark it all up. Install the new ring, it is sent with the kit so don't worry if you stretch out the old one. Then reassemble everything. I put some grease on all splined parts just in case.

I ordered the Steel hub from Magic Racing for $90.00. He had it to me in two days. Great service. The steel hub is a little heavier, but stronger. I don't race so saving a pound is not as important as changing that hub again.

Oh yeah, when I had the axle out, I think I found the cause of my troubles. Axle bearings were shot and packed with mud. I bought the quad used with the cracked hub so I can't complain. I ordered a new billet axle carrier off of Ebay from BC-Direct. He got that out quick as well. Just a heads up. Held me up for three more days waiting on the axle carrier and I wanted to ride.

It is not a bad job. Let me know if you need help.

Eric

loungingfool
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
thanks for all the good info. should be a good help, this is the first time i've ever had to replace anything like this. now time to order the parts.

j450rking
03-14-2007, 12:08 AM
can you use a stock sprocket hub on a durablue axle?????/

Sheepdog
03-14-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure. A new Durablue Axle comes with the sprocket hub, so I would guess you cannot use a stock one.

They give you two choices at Durablue, aluminum or steel. Since I had a broken aluminum one, I tried the steel, because according to their website, it is stronger.

I really think my bad carrier bearings helped it fail though. With the axle floating around a little, it probably put weird side loads on sprocket.

FWIW, the aluminum hub is about $20 cheaper than the steel.

Eric