View Full Version : I got sum questions about supplements!

xtullyx16
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
soo i got some questions. I usually workout and dont take ne-thing ... but 2 days ago i worked out and took 10 amino acid tablets ( the most recomended) and it didnt really help .. but i also have the Body Tech Hydrolyzed whey protein... it has splenda in it and 17g of proteins per scoop... soo my question is what is a good brand of whey protein or all they all the same?
oh yeah i weigh 158 .... how much protein a day should i take?

thanks alot for any help!

xtullyx16
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
also my stuff is two months old ..... will it still have the same effect?

xtullyx16
03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
bump

03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
dont take any of that stuff. trust me. work out 2x-3x a week with a workout schedule doing 5 different things each day, workout for about 2 hours or so, any longer could possibly decrease your overall outcome. i've gained 30 pounds (of muscle) which isnt including all the fat that became muscle in about 3-4 months. just eat healthy, drink a lot (water, gatorade, juice...) and on your off days either relax or take a nice jog or bike ride or possibly ride your quad. usually on the offdays i do some type of ab. workout cause the ladies love that. lol

good luck. my suggestion is to not take any of that....

quads14589
03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
that stuff doesnt help at all especially if you stop using it you loose everything.

tt racer
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Protein is not bad for you. If you are weight training to build muscle you need protein. Amino acids help with recovery time. Im not into all the other crap so dont be scared of protein shakes. A good rule of thumb intake 158 grams of protein, your body weight per day, dont forget to add what your eating chicken, fish, ect.:D

reptikes
03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
No disrespect to anybody, but anyone who says that you don't need protein doesn't know what they are talking about. Your body needs protein to build good quality muscle. The best 2 protein supplements out right now are: BSN Syntha-6 it has 3 types of protein including Branch Chain Amino Acids. And Twin Labs Amino Fuel. Both are cost friendly and have what your body needs with out the bull****! And you should take at least 1-1.5 grams of protein for every pound you wieght. At 150 pounds you should take 150-225 grams of protein a day. You should increase your calories too. Good Luck, Mike

Warnerade
03-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I ould only take Syntha-6 before I go to sleep so I do not burn muscle while I'm sleeping..it is a sustained release protein shake...after your workout you want 100% whey protein because your body can and will digest it the fastest.

I agree though..anyone who tells you NOT to take protein has no clue what they are talking about.

If you are looking for an amino acid and recovery agent...try L-Glutamine powder..just mix a spoon of it into a shake after your workout...It helps with recovery and will help build your immume system stronger.

Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from the GNC store as you can...they are nothing but a rip off. Their products are just as good as anything else out there...but everything they sell is over priced.

sly400ex
03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
You definitely need protein, preferably whey. You are supposed to consume 1-2 grams per pound of bodyweight, depending how much you actually work out.

katch26
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
its 1-2 grams of protein per lb of LEAN body weight, if you weigh 200 with 20% body fat you dont want to be taking 200-300 grams more in the 160-240 grams per day. Just use a good high quality whey protein, avoid soy and you should be good to go. I dont know what your plans are but if you wanted to bulk up def increase calories.

PismoLocal
03-13-2007, 02:55 PM
For the original question look into ON Whey protien. It tastes good, mixes very well (no chunks or mushy gobs of protein in your shake), and is relatively cheap. ON whey protien has 120 calories and 24 grams of protien per serving. I always buy a 5lb jug of ON protien whenever I start bulking up.

The purpose of Protien shakes isn't miracle gains. Protien shakes are simply a cheap, healthy, and relatively easy way to meet your bodies protien demands when you are working out regularly.

I weigh 165lbs. When I'm trying to bulk I would need to take in around 150 grams of protien. Its a lot easier and healthier to drink 2 protien shakes a day and eat regularly than it is to scarf down 2lbs of beef a day.

Sjorge450R
03-13-2007, 04:04 PM
i take whey when I lift during swim season (yea swimmers lift too...lol) and i notice a difference when I use it. Faster recovery and quicker results, probaly from the quicker recovery

xtullyx16
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
thanks everyone! i'll prolly need a new batch of whey protien since my 10 IB is 2 months old:eek: but im really looking for just a recovery factor. But does protien take away muscle like creatin does when u stop using it?? if it dont then ill start taking more. But thanks! oh yeah is there any good online stores or should i go to my local vitamin shoppe?! thanks alot!

Warnerade
03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
no, you will not loose any muscle if you stop taking protein..you just wont make the gains you were while on protein...Your protein is still good at 2 months old...I dont see how or why it would expire that fast...I never have to worry about it though...10lb only lasts me a month or so anyway:o

Stick with your local vitamin shop..they are a good deal period...they always have good sales, and if you have their healthy awards card you get good coupons in the mail.

If you are going to make a large buy (lots of products at once) I would go to www.prosource.net as they have the lowest prices I have ever seen...and if you buy a lot, even after shipping you will save a nice chunk of change for lunch all next week.

Warnerade
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
dont take any of that stuff. trust me. work out 2x-3x a week with a workout schedule doing 5 different things each day, workout for about 2 hours or so, any longer could possibly decrease your overall outcome. i've gained 30 pounds (of muscle) which isnt including all the fat that became muscle in about 3-4 months. just eat healthy, drink a lot (water, gatorade, juice...) and on your off days either relax or take a nice jog or bike ride or possibly ride your quad. usually on the offdays i do some type of ab. workout cause the ladies love that. lol

good luck. my suggestion is to not take any of that.... at 16 years old you gained 30 pounds of muscle, plus fat that turned into muscle...in 3-4 months...man thats a knee slapper

xtullyx16
03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
thanks man.. soo ill just finish my last bit up and go buy sum then! again, thanks for all the helpful info! and being patient haha

sly400ex
03-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by NacsRacer027
at 16 years old you gained 30 pounds of muscle, plus fat that turned into muscle...in 3-4 months...man thats a knee slapper

Yeah, no kidding. DO NOT listen to this guy. Turning fat into muscle....... ok, you really know what you are talking about.:ermm:

30lbs of muscle in 3-4 months? NOT POSSIBLE! It takes at least a year or so to accomplish that with a very intense weightlifting/ diet regiment.

2old2race
03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Optimum Nutrition is the best I have found. Bulknutrition.com is the best place to get it. Do not buy anything from GNC(rip offs) and DO NOT buy any of that Muscletech garbage.

1-2 grams per bodyweight is a good formula. Are you taking creatine? I have had good results balooning up with that. Plus, the additional water retention does increase endurance. The bloated feeling is what I hate.

Drop the aminos. You'll get them from your protein and a good diet. Make sure you are taking a good multi too.

2old2race
03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
workout for about 2 hours or so, any longer could possibly decrease your overall outcome. i've gained 30 pounds (of muscle) which isnt including all the fat that became muscle in about 3-4 months. just eat healthy, drink a lot (water, gatorade, juice...) and on your off days either relax or take a nice jog or bike ride or possibly ride your quad. usually on the offdays i do some type of ab. workout cause the ladies love that. lol

2 hours daily is about 1 hour more than you need to. A 1 hour well-constructed split is more than enough. Also, it is impossible without anabolic assistance to gain 30 pounds of muscle even in a year. Ronnie Coleman works hard with 'anabolic assistance' for a year to gain 10 pounds of muscle.

One last word of advice.... bodybuilding.com is worth it's weight in GOLD! ;)

Kickstarts-suck
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Pretty much any brand is ok as long as it says 100% whey protein.

I take 1 scoop with 7 ounces of milk at lunch then take another scoop with 7 ounces of milk after my 1 hour workout.
also workout something different everyday.Like do arms 1 day,legs 1 day and so on.

ROFL @ mjpridered10 :uhoh: :chinese:

2old2race
03-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Pretty much any brand is ok as long as it says 100% whey protein.

No offense, but that is totally absurd.
Most brands mix like crap with water/milk. Muscletech is one of the worst for mixability. A lot of protein shakes require one to use a blender to even mix it properly.
GNC protein is some of the nsatiest tasty protein I have ever had.....no to mention the stomach durress on will receive!
:(
ON, I have found, is the best followed in second by Dymatize.

And as I mentioned prior, online retailers are still cheaper than the franchise '75% off every 3rd day after a full moon if you come in wearing a tank top and spend $100 for club members' sale. :rolleyes:

yamaha250f
03-18-2007, 09:07 AM
ever hear of d-bol great stuff man works great and the best part is everyone is using it at my gym. YEAH everyone but me do you guys have meat heads at your gym trying to push to sh*t you wont catch me poppin any pills or stickin needles in my butt. just some good old fashioned hangin and bangin weight that is

Warnerade
03-18-2007, 04:42 PM
muscletech garbage...lol

I use a blender to mix my shakes anyway, just a smile hand held one...10 seconds spinning and any shake i've ever had out of it is clump free.

any other shake I make is in a shaker cup...i never have a problem with clumps in there either...usually they are small enough, and I chug my shakes...so I dont even notice.

Kickstarts-suck
03-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by 2old2race
No offense, but that is totally absurd.
Most brands mix like crap with water/milk. Muscletech is one of the worst for mixability. A lot of protein shakes require one to use a blender to even mix it properly.
GNC protein is some of the nsatiest tasty protein I have ever had.....no to mention the stomach durress on will receive!
:(
ON, I have found, is the best followed in second by Dymatize.

And as I mentioned prior, online retailers are still cheaper than the franchise '75% off every 3rd day after a full moon if you come in wearing a tank top and spend $100 for club members' sale. :rolleyes:

who cares about how it mixes or taste. I use a blender anyway and its not supposed to taste great. Drink for your body not the taste.

2old2race
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
who cares about how it mixes or taste. I use a blender anyway and its not supposed to taste great. Drink for your body not the taste.
Yeah, o.k.
Well how many of you guys have been 'chuggin' this stuff for years?
One year= Mucletech garbage=o.k.
8 years<great.

Muscletech is highly propogated garbage. Anybody that thinks more than that needs to go to a bodybuilding forum for some research...not atv. :blah:

Villageidiott23
03-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Correction it is possible to gain 30lbs in a couple of months.altho i didnt say it was legal. just get ready to deal with severe back problems, shin splints.... and Dbol is not a good steroid. its a 17Alpha which means it is absorbed thru the liver I.E. bad news. not to mention that just taking dbol does nothing. it bloats ur body and makes ur muscles fill with water. and when your done it goes away. youd have to stack it with a test of some sort. If ur not into needles and stuff just stick with a high in protien diet and keep taking the whey. maybe try throwing in some glutamine and extra aminos.....

clutch22
03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
ON Whey protien is good... i'm not a very big guy, but when i was drinkin it 2-3 times a day, and taken creatine pills i got noticeably bigger... but then i just gave up liften weights, I never enjoyed it, really thought it was borring... so now i'm back to small guy....
The creatine pills that i was taken work great they were Higher Power Nutrition.. says to take 4 pills a day,,, i was taken 15/day ... but you gotta drink alot of water with that stuff.

And for that protien stuff to start worken it takes a couple weeks for it to start haven any affect on your body.

if you havent done so allready, check out http://www.bodybuilding.com
their the cheapest, got everything, and you can learn alot there.