PDA

View Full Version : How can I recognize a cam by part number?

02silverpile
03-11-2007, 10:37 PM
ok, so buddy picked up a 400ex. The previous owner told him that he installed a stage 1 cam or at least what he thought was a stage one. It was purchased off ebay i believe. This was at the end of last year. He has since torn down his motor to freshin up the top end with a new piston and rings. Hi did notice that the cam said hot cams stamped on it. There wasnt really any numbers, so how can my buddy identify if it is really a stage one and not a two? Thanks.

GPracer2500
03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
There should be something etched onto the cam somewhere. I wouldn't think it'd be found under one of the cam bearings, but maybe? I know the old version of the stg 2 had "HCDG NO. 08" etched on it. Not sure what the new stg 2 or the stg 1 says.

02silverpile
03-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey Gp, I just looked at his cam. It has HCDG NO 7 stamped on it. So in theory it should be a stage 1 according to your theory earlier. Thanks.

GPracer2500
03-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe, but I couldn't say for sure. I was thinking those labels stood for HotCams Development Grind No. X. So who knows what the seventh one was/is. Eh, probably it is the stg 1.

E-mail HotCams with that number. They'll set you straight.