PDA

View Full Version : mods for a blaster

fast300ex
03-11-2007, 01:58 PM
hey i just got a 2000 blaster for like 200 bucks off of my step dad who bought it for me when i was like 14 so i figured id just buy it off of him outright so heres my question. what kinds of things can i do to it so that i dnt look like a fool riding it?? i mean i know some of you are probably gonna say just sell it but i need something to do while im bored so i figured id keep it and just start making it into something i woyld enjoy riding. im about 6 feet and weigh about 200 pounds. i saw a blaster online where the guys did pretty much everything to one and they took test rides and the guy still looked huge on it. if i was to get like a +4 swingarm, extend the axel and an a-arm kit would it be as big as say a 400ex?? please let me know. thanks,

chris

banshee84
03-11-2007, 05:56 PM
you probaly want to get a +1" forward +1" up steering stem and some high bars so your knees clear the bars when you turn.

You can put a lot of money into that thing but I think it is too small for you.

you should just buy the two things I suggested then save up for a bigger atv.

jvanhare
03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Well you could spend all that money on it, but it's still going to be pretty small. I am 6' 2" 205 lbs. I ride my kids Blaster all the time, it is stock. If you want a large heavy quad for cheap, look into a Polaris Trail Blazer. It is only 250cc, but it is a full size quad. Very comfortable ride. The factory suspension and seat are pretty comfortable for longer trail rides. There are pipes available for it, but its really not a speed demon, also it is an automatic. The good news is, you can buy brand new 2006s for $2769.00 around here, and I know a lot of other Polaris dealers are selling them almost as cheap. I believe they went to the bigger seat in '04 if you're looking for used. A lot of people buy them as a first quad and sell them without all that many hours on them. Then you could get the high performance stuff for it with the money you saved.

Quadboy14
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by jvanhare
Well you could spend all that money on it, but it's still going to be pretty small. I am 6' 2" 205 lbs. I ride my kids Blaster all the time, it is stock. If you want a large heavy quad for cheap, look into a Polaris Trail Blazer. It is only 250cc, but it is a full size quad. Very comfortable ride. The factory suspension and seat are pretty comfortable for longer trail rides. There are pipes available for it, but its really not a speed demon, also it is an automatic. The good news is, you can buy brand new 2006s for $2769.00 around here, and I know a lot of other Polaris dealers are selling them almost as cheap. I believe they went to the bigger seat in '04 if you're looking for used. A lot of people buy them as a first quad and sell them without all that many hours on them. Then you could get the high performance stuff for it with the money you saved. Man I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you there, for one thing, I can't stand trailblazers because they are an insult to the 2-stroke world (they are one of the slowest full-size quads I can think of), theyre are an automatic, and I've seen better suspension on a mountain bike... For another, if he's going to spend $2769.00 He should just get a real racer like a banshee, or raptor... Don't take this personally, I just have had nothiung but bad experiences with trailblazers..:scary:

jvanhare
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, I suppose I am biased towards Polaris as you are towards Yamaha, given that we have 3 Trail Blazers, and have not had a bit of problems with any of them. Then again I am 47, so I probably don't ride them like you young bucks do any more. I take the Blaster out when I want to slide it around, do wheelies etc. which honestly i don't get the urge to do as much as I used to. Given that he only has $200.00 in it, he could really go to town on it. LRD pipe, re-jet, , 240 kit, air filter and air box mods, Maier race plastics, extended swingarm, A-arms, Elka shocks, Blingstar bumpers, nerfs, etc. I am guessing he is planning on doing a little at a time as a hobby build to give him something to do. The 2000 is good, as there are so many aftermarket parts for the 88-03 models.

jvanhare
03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
...and there's a one armed kid riding mine right now :) Let's see your yammy do that....just kidding you! But there really is a 1 armed kid riding mine right now, he owns a Polaris Sportsman.

Quadboy14
03-13-2007, 11:38 AM
LOL, yeah it'd be hard to ride a blaster with one arm...(the whole shiftin thing would prolly get in the way...) And i'll be honest, I prolly do ride alot harder than you.. I just don't think a trailblazer would be what he's lookin for.

fast300ex
03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
thanks for all thwe replies and no im not really lookin to get rid of it at all, its just something i want to work on when i have nothing else to do. the main uestion was would i still be too big for it if i was to get the mods i stated ( +3+1 a-arms, +3 or +4 swingarm, bigger axle)? i figure if i make it wider along with longer it should fit me more comfortably right??

jvanhare
03-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Depends if it feels too small for you, I kinda like riding my son's Blaster and as I said, I am 6'2" 205lbs. It makes it really easy to throw around, wheelie, jump, and generally hurt myself on. I would say if you put all that on your quad, it would definitely feel bigger. I think the Maier race plastics look great on the Blaster, and make it look bigger. I am no expert, so I can't tell you how much bigger you could go on tires without it pooching out, but that would certainly make it sit up a bit higher. The distance between the seat and pegs won't be changing any though no matter how big A-Arms and swingarm you go with.

woodsracer144
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
1) im about 6foot and im about 150. and i ride a 01 blaster and im gonna start to build a fully built blaster this summer once i start to work again. but i need the snow gone and the ground dry(land scapeing) and i think thnk you will have a blast on a blaster if your just gonna play, im starting to go pro yamaha but my little 200 has pulled a 440ex thats got some good mods home twice and i have the ablity to stick with him on the mx track,(i have rode for about 5 years and i havent had much to ride started on a trx 90, to a lakota, then the 250x and rode a 250r here and there and a400 here and there) but they were all my buddie quad, so i got a 86 moto-4 225 from my uncle and now my mom rides it and i have my blaster and i can stick to a kid that has rode since he was 3 years old and has had some very fast and nice quads, im the farm boy that makes due with what you got, i think that if you spend alittle time and money you can do well, i payed 600 from mine and the guy i got it from bored it out and all that for me and it was about 200 buck and he paied for it so i think that you will do well, some of my friend offered me 1800 for it but im not sellin it. there fast and fun to rip around on.
thanks!

jvanhare
03-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Yeah, the neighbor kid has an old yamaha moto with 25 inch Carlisle mudders on it. He made a hillbilly enigneered mount for a truck battery on the back mount,as the stock battery was dead. I was so impressed I took pictures. I don't seem to have any way to resize pictures on my new computer or I would post them. This quad is one that his grandfather owned, his uncle said was broken and wouldn't run, and he spent two days working on it in the farm shop, and now we go riding everyday, at first he only had first and second gear, but after reverse got locked up in a mud pit, he now has 5 gears, but no reverse. He is the farm kid, like you, who makes do too. Not everyone has a silver spoon :)

woodsracer144
03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
yeah its all in the rider and what he opr she wants to ride in or on. any thing can be a good quad if you put some time in to is and get use to it,