PDA

View Full Version : Tips on sucking it up!

400exJOE
10-23-2001, 07:42 PM
I got a 400ex about 4 months ago and I love it. It is my 1st sport machine and I am having some trouble boosting my confidence enough to hit the bigger jumps. I know that its mostly the rider that makes the differance in racing because I have a friend on a blaster that hits bigger doubles than I will. When I do its never even bad, but was just curious to see if anyone had any tips on how to put the fear aside and just do it. Thanx

JabberJaw
10-23-2001, 08:14 PM
There is no easy trick to jumping, its called skill, and practice. That takes time! You don't want to push yourself too hard, or you will end up getting hurt. Just do what makes you comfortable, and watch what your friend does when he jumps.

MOFO
10-23-2001, 08:27 PM
Another bit of advice I can give....

If you are coming up to a jump at a high speed and realize you are going too fast.....DO NOT HIT the jump without giving it gas....make sure you have enough rev's to keep the front end light...you will either endo or have a very bad jump. I learned this the hard way... :o

Oh and like JabberJaw said, take it slow...dont push yourself. Start with small jumps and work your way up.

Eric

Warrioreater400ex
10-23-2001, 09:04 PM
yeah, just step it up gradually, start on the small jumps, and gradually get bigger. and in everything on a quad, KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and push them gradually, dont try to break right through them! thats a very important thing, well it has been for me!

honda400ex27
10-23-2001, 09:20 PM
just like everyone else said...work your way up...you will learn how your quad jumps and get used to it as you jump it more...My cousin is Brian Mckinney in Huevos 2 and when i first when to his track he was jumping some huge stuff and i thought he was insane..but now that i have gotten used to my quad i jump it all ...but never underestimate anything!

10-24-2001, 06:50 AM
Never ever,,,let off the gas on the face of the jump....always blip the throttle to keep the front end up.. go out to the link below and read up on how to be a better jumper.....

http://www.4wheelatv.com/detail.asp?id=67

Lasher
10-24-2001, 09:41 AM
The fear will only go away with confidence. Which comes from practice.

I have raced the same tracks for 3 years now. There are still jumps on them that I am afraid of and do not attempt. I can get the guts up to do them before the race, but once on the track, I get scared.

Best thing to do is practice. And do not worry about the other riders doing the jump. Once you have completed the jump safely a few times, it will never cause you problems again.

You mentioned that this is your first sport quad. So I take it that flying through the air is new. It is not a natural feeling, it is something that must be taught. And as the other stated, never let off the throttle on the jump face. I did once and it was not pretty (neither are the scars).

Worst thing is when you actually get the confidence, then crash. Then you have to start all over again to try and get the confidence back. But it only comes from practice.

The first time doing a big jump is nerve racking to say the least. At one practice track there was a large jump that none of us were hitting. Then one of our group actually went for it. So we all had to try it. I started slow and just kept building up the speed. After a few attempts, I was able to clear the jump and now it is not even a concern.

10-24-2001, 10:44 AM
practice,,practice,,,practice is the most important thing and before long you'll be doin this......

Tommy 17
10-24-2001, 04:46 PM
all i can tell u is what i usually do first i hit the jump slow to see if the lips straight then and it don't throw me funny then i come up toe the jump a gear higher each time till i land right b4 the landing the next time i hit it about 1/4 to 1/2 trottle more and i get right over it every time. if u have doubts goin up to the jump don't panic just get on it it will be worse if u come up short then if u over shot it. the worst thing u can do is was rico said get scared and leave off ur front tires will go right down into a nose dive and ur will catch the face wit them and ur screwed big time. just practice i started out on a 10ft double and i am around 40ft to 50ft now. i am not the best but i am half descent. i fianly figured out the right body english to get it to fly straight if the lips not even.

JabberJaw
10-24-2001, 05:32 PM
When I get scared, I ride with my eyes closed!

10-24-2001, 08:40 PM
i got this from here one time a while back

"fear creates hesitation, that hesitation makes your fear come true" and i couldn't agree more... later

Clay
11-06-2001, 12:41 AM
I agree with all the previous posts. I also want to add. DO NOT GET OVER CONFIDENT. That is when you wreck and wreck bad. I also want to add. Learn how your quad does in the air. If the nose goes high, grab the front brakes (I know ill get some weird looks on this one, but it works better than the back brakes for me), and get your weight up quick. When attempting a big double, or table top, make sure you are calm and have your wits about you wihle in the air. Make sure you land back wheels first by a little if youre landing flat, but on a good downslope, you want to hit the downramp evenly. If the nose drops too much in the air, rev out your motor and pull up. It will help some. Something else, if you look like you will come up short (case it), rev the motor, and that in turn makes the shock more rigid due to the momentum. THat will make your landing a little easier, and less dangerous. Sorry ive written a small book here, ask any other questions if you have them.

11-25-2001, 07:43 PM
Jumping just takes time and practice. I rode a cr250 for years on the motorcross track before switching to my 400ex and I'm glad. You learn to jump bigger jumps and use you body weight to control the bike. The main thing is that you need to develop your own style. It is like everyone saying to not let off of the gas when jumping, this is OK but not always true. If you learn to use your body and not the motor you will ride more consistant. Learn to control the bike in the air, throw it around where you want it. The main thing is don't get over confident. Always be aware of what you are doing and know your limits. I got cocking just recently and was doing no hand landings off of a 20 or 30 foot flat landing jump. I was doing good until I decided to do it off of the 50 foot double without working up to it. I'm now recovering from a broken back. This was caused by just not thinking things through. Mistakes happen just try to minimize how many and how often.

beerock
11-25-2001, 08:55 PM
I have a very High and cumbersome fear of hitting any jump.

I know that it hold sme back, once I get my jumps down look out.

When I use to race my cr125 jumps were no problem. I use to hit a 60 foot 4th gear wide open jump. with ease.

I am really fast anywhere else on the track.

If ANy of you know about tracks you know that some motocross tracks are just WAY to rough on a quad.

like really tight rhythm sections with 4-5ft high whoops. and those nasty rutted out turns.

Once I get my jumps down like I did on my motorcycle LOOK OUT!

hehe, there was a guy on a 125 cc dirt bike today that kept pushing me real hard, it was fun!!!

FlyinRed
11-28-2001, 08:53 AM
I help my friends over this fear by calling them names. I found that peer pressure is a good motivator, along with a camera. If they are going to have pictures of their jump, or potential wreck, that makes it easier. Or to clinch it, if elligible hotties are arround, it seams that a lot less whining about wussin happins. Althow most of that seams to be true, alwayse go at your own speed! Unless you have a real shot at a few boobie girls, then make your speed WARP SPEED!

Use the force young SKYWALKER :devil

12-01-2001, 12:09 PM
yep, boobie girl, thats exactly what took me out for a year. in the hospital in traction, bodycast and learning to walk and eventually ride again. althought the ride again came several years later.

FlyinRed
12-03-2001, 08:30 AM
I hope she was arround to nurse you back too health!:D