PDA

View Full Version : draining coolant ?

pro-rider46
03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
how do you drain the coolant on a 2005 450r

thanks

4bidden
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I always just remove the radiator hose from the engine on the kicker side and let it all (mostly) flow out.

Is there a "proper" way? I've never looked in my manual.

370kingR
03-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Remove the bottom bolt from the waterpump cover. Have something under it to catch it. When you remove that bolt, there is a pressure lock that will not allow the coolant to flow so you then crack the radiator cap and it will flow out fast and hard. It will spit out far so be prepared to put the bowl or what ever your useing right up to the drain hole or it will overshoot the bowl/container. As it drains the pressure begins to lessen and will start to drain down instead of straight out when you first cracked it.

If you want to reuse the coolant because it has an additive or something, clean the frame rails and engine around the bottom area of the drain so when it drips down onto the engine/frame, debris donot contaminate the coolant.

N300exJ
03-11-2007, 06:52 AM
370king has got it perfect. I like to catch the coolant with a super clean gallon jug. Hold it up to that bolt hole as close and tight as you can. Once you start to open the radiator cap it does shoot out far. Sometimes it will also work to open the radiator cap a lil bit at a time so the fluid doesnt shoot out all at once.

Sometimes ill also tip my quad sideways to get every last drop out.