View Full Version : What can I do to the HEAD while it's off?

gregrob
03-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi guys.

I don't really have the money to get the head ported but I'm wondering what I can do while it's off?

I know I can hog out the exhaust side, but the intake I'm a little leary of touching.

Anything I can do to the valves like lapping them to clean them up while they're still in the head?

Some porting advice would be great.

Thank you

Greg

czrider263
03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by gregrob
Hi guys.

I don't really have the money to get the head ported but I'm wondering what I can do while it's off?

I know I can hog out the exhaust side, but the intake I'm a little leary of touching.

Anything I can do to the valves like lapping them to clean them up while they're still in the head?

Some porting advice would be great.

Thank you

Greg

I would save up the money to get it ported and lapped in correctly. You can get porting done for in the 300$ if you already have the head ready.

gregrob
03-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I know Colby can do it for less than 300 but I'm not going to have the money.

I have to spend a lot of money elsewhere in the motor and on my king quad 700 to get it ready for this summer.

Anyone have any pointers for DIY ? Even if it helps just a little I want to do something while it's off.

Thank you

Greg

Wheelie
03-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Save up enough cash to have the head work done right. I believe Colby charged me about 175 to port my head. Also, while it's off, replace the valve seals, have the valve guides checked for wear and have the valves seats done.