PDA

View Full Version : 300EX problems :(

Rusty91o
03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I got a few problems that I need some help with guys. First off, my EX will slighty move or roll when it's in gear and I have the clutch in. This just started. Even when it's in gear and you try to start it, you can feel that the clutch is not fully disengaged. I tried to adjust the cable but there wasn't much of a difference. Think my clutch is bad? Or maybe the springs? Also, what do I need to put in new piston rings on my EX? Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

rbm300ex
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Sound like the clutch cable needs adjustment, although you say you tried this. You can adjust it at the lever and ALSO where it pulls at the engine. Which place did you make the adjustments? The cable may be stretched and need replacing but I would be surprised if thats the case, just my opinion.

Get a Clymer repair manuel if you don't have one already as it will make the ring job go much easier. Its not hard to do, just remove the head, off with old rings, on with new and reassemble but having the manual gives you alot of insight, pictures and peace of mind and takes you step by step though this and other maintainance and repair procedures (like clutch adjustment)

As an old mechanic once told me "Its only nuts and bolts- but knowing how to put them together the right way helps alot" (or something like that)

Also use the search function on the appropriate forums here on the board and can help alot too.

Best of luck;)

250X_project
03-11-2007, 06:55 AM
just remember to keep the ring end gap staggered to separate the piston into thirds. The manual will show this.

Rusty91o
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok, thanks guys. Your all always a lot of help :cool: