PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem

onesexyrider609
03-10-2007, 11:34 AM
My 400 has a problem now. It starts with throttle fine, but will not hold idle by itself. I searched on what problems were, and I'm hearing that its a valve or maybe something stuck in my carb. It rides like a champ, but the moment I get off teh gas, the engine just stops. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

GPracer2500
03-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Will it idle with the choke on?

onesexyrider609
03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Nope, not at all. Full choke doesn't work. Half choke doesn't work. But it rides fine. Right now carb > me.:huh I even took the boot off my intake to carb and tried running it, and I saw that the main valve I guess? inside carb moved up and down fine.

blasterandy
03-10-2007, 02:02 PM
its getting hotter so you may need to adjust the idle or fuel air screw. Kinda just sounds like idle screw to me

onesexyrider609
03-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I've turned it all the win, all the way out, and everywhere in between. I'm leaning towards dirt or something in a jet. Hoping so anyway.

onesexyrider609
03-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I was told by a couple of people to try turning it all the way in, and than out about 2 1/4 turns. They said it would take a couple mins for it to actually adjust to that, has anyone heard of this technique?

GPracer2500
03-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Are you confusing the fuel screw with the idle adjustment screw? They are two seperate things.

The idle adjustment screw (aka throttle stop screw) is the silver kurled knob with a screw driver slot in it (if memory serves). The fuel screw is not visible and hard to access with the carb in place.

2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated would be a "normal" setting for the fuel screw. The idle adjustment screw is usually not refered to in terms of "number of turns out".

onesexyrider609
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I fixed the right thing. My dad went to go start my quad and was messing with the idle screw. It was just about all the way out. I asked him if I should try messing with it, and he said no, he already did. So, I did the thing not to do, turned it in, and than out some, and viola- idles like always. Thanks for help guys.