PDA

View Full Version : Any guitar gurus out there?

2001Toomey
03-10-2007, 10:35 AM
I played guitar a few years back, one called a Biscayne Plus, some no-name brand the music school scammed me into. Anyways, I'm thinking about returning to the music scene a little. I don't know too much about guitars though. Let me give you an idea of what I want though, from a newbie's point of view.

1) It's got to be an acoustic first of all.
2) I want a name brand, Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, others.
3) I want pretty good quality, looking to spend $500-$1000.
4) Good resale would be nice.
5) Nice classic look and sound, nothing out of the ordinary.
6) Wouldn't mind buying a 20-30 year old guitar, or new.

I'm not sure what kind of music I'll be playing. An all around good guitar would be good so I can get a taste of what it's all about. Don't forget I'm starting from like 10% scratch too. And my last name is Ibanez, and Ibanez guitar would be cool to have.

rooster_20
03-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Haha thats crazy that your last name is Ibanez. I have one its electric pretty nice. Its one from the Gio series. If I was goin to buy a nice flatop I would def. get a cutaway neck though incase you start to pick a little. Any of the top brands are good though. Fender, Gibson, Takimine, whatever you get. Hope this helped

Kickstarts-suck
03-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Your going to spend $500-$1000 on a guitar and you said your almost starting from scratch?

I would buy a cheaper one first and make sure you are going to get back into playing before you blow $1000 on a guitar and find out you don't really like playing.

best for $500 would be Washburn D10S IMO

XCAdam89
03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Any of the $500+ Takamine's are sick! If your spending less than that on a Tak though, don't waste your $$$$...

2001Toomey
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I also was looking with guitars with decent resell so that if don't like it, I can sell if for a nice recovery. I expect that I will like playing, the reason that I stopped last time was because of the music school I was going to, they had me playing a cheap electric guitar and going to dumb competitions, I wasn't into that. I'd like to get back into it with a nice guitar. I don't want to buy a guitar from Wal-Mart for $100, and sell it for $10 if I don't like playing. So the Washburn D10S and Takamines over $500 are some I should look at.

quads14589
03-11-2007, 10:27 AM
my friend got a guitar yesturday a les paul for 500 bucks retail at 1grand.

Ruby Soho
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
look into martins and taylors

clutch22
03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Taylor is imo the best brand of acoustical guitars. I have a Washburn Tahoe acoustic with the tree of life inlay down the neck... I think it sounds just as good as the Taylors. epecially with Elixir strings. They are absolutely the best sounding strings out there.

lghickman21
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
man i have a very nice little Alvarez acoustic that sounds great. I am around some nice guitars and mine doesn't sound too far from them. and it was only about $300. Worth looking into.

rooster_20
03-14-2007, 11:40 AM
If your great you can make almost any guitar sound good. You prob wouldnt be soundin like eric clapton on the walmarts but if your just startin out It really doesnt matter cause all you will be doin anyways is strummin and bar chords. I wouldnt buy a $500 guitar for startin out unless I just had money to burn most likely you will play some notes for about a week then set it in your closet anyways.

300exOH
03-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Check out the lower priced Schecter guitars. I just bought a Gryphon about 6 mos ago and it's a great guitar for the price. I paid around 300-350 for mine. They have a coil tapping feature that allows you to switch between a fatter Gibson-like sound to a single coil Fender sound. I compared it to Fenders and Ibanez's and for the price it couldn't be beat. It is a very playable guitar with great tone.

Pappy
03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
cody is learning on his electric guitar...he was jamming along with judas priest and watching it rain:ermm:

yamaha250f
03-17-2007, 06:48 PM
yeah i play guitar heros does that count

Quadfather
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I've been known to pick a little

bulkdriverlp
03-17-2007, 10:46 PM
i have a ibanez v series electric/acoustic (built in pick-up) love it. alvarez are good also. years ago i used to play quite a bit of metallica, but now i just strum country chords

svahle
03-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
look into martins and taylors

I agree. I have played many different guitars and always come back to the Taylor. I just started playing with some bluegrass folks and the Martins sure have a great sound for that style of music. For everything else the Taylor is superior. Taylor guitars have a very fast action and fret better than any other acoustic guitar I have played,

I currently have a Taylor 510 and an Alvarez Yari. I don't play the yari much but it is the guitar I played when I was in a band and opened for some bigger names (David Allen Coe, Black Oak Arkansas, John Berry). They all signed the Yari so it has some sentimental value. It is also a cedar top with stereo pickups sounds pretty cool plugged in.

If you keep your eyes peeled you could find a Taylor for $1000.

rooster_20
03-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Quadfather I know thats not 3 real Gibson Les Pauls? If it is you need to mail me one cause I've been dien to have one. Keep rockin!

ATV Chic
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
i would suggest Takamine as far as acoustic ;)

rooster_20
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
heres the Ibanez action

Quadfather
03-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by rooster_20
Quadfather I know thats not 3 real Gibson Les Pauls? If it is you need to mail me one cause I've been dien to have one. Keep rockin!

Yes, those are three real Gibson Les Paul Standards. I also have another Gibson Les Paul Standard, and a Gibson Les Paul Custom, plus two Fender Strats.

rooster_20
03-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Thats insane the all black one looks like the one steve gaines used to play before he died. Sweet guitars man you have a fortune in those things. I played a custom gretch once it was one of the huge ones. I think the guy said it was 2400 dollars or somthin.