PDA

View Full Version : oil level

slick7108514
03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
is it ok to fill the oil tank slightly above the upper level mark in the oil level window. i cant seem to get the oil level right around that upper mark, so its slightly above the see through window. is this ok or should i drain the oil and run the oil level below that upper mark?

450R_lover
03-09-2007, 08:30 PM
i wouldnt run it over the mark at all. I did this once and it was all doggy and didnt run right. Over filled the oil. Over filling it can cause harm where running it right at the mark or a little below wont. anywhere from the mark to about a quarter of the way up on the window is safe.

pro-rider46
03-09-2007, 08:39 PM
yeah listen to him you can really grenade your motor if you dont run the right amount

quad2xtreme
03-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I use 24 oz of oil which is .75 quarts. I measure it into a spare oil container before I dump it into the motor. It is right every time.

I do the same for the tranny side.

/jon

red2004 TRX450R
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
95% of the time mine is over the F mark

lumi
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
if ur really worried just let a bit of oil out from the drain screw... oil doesnt kill the seals but pressure does, more oil more pressure, too little oil, more wear , so just keep it on the line... going over a hair line or so isnt that bad. depends on above u are.

heat the quad up,shut if off and let it sit for a minute and check the level.. that will be the "true" level.

-lumi

DirtDevilBT
03-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I wonder if it 04/05----06/07 would make any difference.
Most of the time I'm a little lazy and forgetful. I end up pouring the hole quart into the engine side. Smack my forehead and say screw it. Haven't had a problem but again mine is an 04, which has an oil cooler and the window is lower. Might make a difference.

I don't recommend it, monkey see monkey NOT do. Just get it at the top mark or between the two. Then check after half a day of riding, so make sure it hasn't gone past the low mark.