PDA

View Full Version : Help Please ! Truck Exhaust

Ghost-Rider
03-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Well for my birthday or somtime inbetween now and then im looking to get some exhaust for my truck. I cant figure what i want, basicly i have it narrowed to the flowmaster 40 series, but dont know which to get ? the 40 series or the super 40 or the 40 series delta flow

Im looking for people who have these or similar and any advice, also i hear they steal some low end ? is this "loss" noticable? if so how much ? and would my best bet be just replace the muffler and leave all the pipe 2.5" ?

Truck : 1997 F-150 5.4L standard cab(no back seat) and it has the long bed.

Thanks.

ShiftFMX
03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Well, I have a '99 F250LD with a 5.4 in it and I am running straight pipes on it (no muffler). I had a IMCO muffler on it (similar to the delta 40) and it wasnt loud enough for me.

Check it out...

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s89.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/117064bc84-aslash48-1-a648939video0.flv"></embed>

3.5" Tips...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC00619.jpg

elite ATV1
03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
nice truck :macho

underpowered
03-09-2007, 10:33 PM
just got an IMCO (now cherry bomb) extreme series single chamber. it is comparable to the flow master 10 series, a race muffler pretty much.

the 40 is loud, has a nice tone to it
the super 40 is deeper in tone, with less interior resonence than the original 40
the delta flow is quieter than the original with a similar tone.

i prefer the original or the super personally. but my IMCO has a similar tone, but is louder than the flows.

the loss of low end is caused by loss of back pressure. if you use to large of pipe it will cause you to lose some power, so if you keep 2.5" pipe you should be good. om my 03 chevy with a 5.3 i went from a singe 3" tail pipe stock, to dual 2.5". i did not lose any power, if anything there is a slight gain, but i kept the inlet on the muffler a single 3" in with dual outs to keep the back pressure up. true duals would take away more back pressure.

www.hileri.com is the cheapest place i found, and the customer service was teh best i have ever had with an online retailer

dual 2.5" pipes to 3" tips.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/Truck/PICT3316.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/Truck/PICT3313.jpg

NacsMXer
03-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Well for my birthday or somtime inbetween now and then im looking to get some exhaust for my truck. I cant figure what i want, basicly i have it narrowed to the flowmaster 40 series, but dont know which to get ? the 40 series or the super 40 or the 40 series delta flow

Im looking for people who have these or similar and any advice, also i hear they steal some low end ? is this "loss" noticable? if so how much ? and would my best bet be just replace the muffler and leave all the pipe 2.5" ?

Truck : 1997 F-150 5.4L standard cab(no back seat) and it has the long bed.

Thanks.

I have a 99' 5.4L F-150. With these trucks you want to go with the loudest muffler possible because they come with 4 cats from the factory. If you go with a mellow sounding muffler it's going to sound lame because the cats muffle so much sound before they even get to the muffler.

I am running a 40 series original SI/DO and I wouldn't run anything else based on the choices you gave. You are going to get a nice deep throaty rumble which will be accentuated even more if you compliment it with some large and long tips. If you go to a dual outlet setup, there will be a noticeable loss in low end but it isn't huge like you may think. This is simply due to the loss in backpressure that the stock system had plenty of (stock is about 2.5x the length of a FM 40 series 2 chamber muffler). Later down the line you can ditch the 4 crappy stock cats in favor of 2 hi flow units....you will get a very nice increase in tone and volume out of the same muffler. I'd say my truck with a 2 chamber FM 40 series and 2 hi flow cats is about as loud or louder than the same truck with a single chamber IMCO and 4 stock cats to give you an idea.

I posted this clip of my truck idling...at the end you can hear my exhaust if you are interested. I need to post up some clips of it revving up sometime.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/09497bd0-443c-4fd0-ba28-98e70136a96f.htm

I-7
03-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm in the same boat kind of. I have a '99 f-150 5.4 and I'm looking for a good full exhaust system. I was looking at the Magna Flow, Flowmaster, and Gibson. Right now I'm leaning towards Flowmaster because I want dual pipes but I'm not really sure which one would sound and perform the best.

Hondaman90
03-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I have the Flowmaster Super 40 Series. It sounds real nice and gave me a little extra power. I am running on a 99' Classic Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.7L V8. I ran the pipe over the rear axle and then turned them down.

Which 450?
03-10-2007, 06:53 AM
my crew cab chevy, I bought a 99 dollar cat back exhaust off of ebay, then bought a different muffler, Umm... magnaflow I think, sounds badass. I had to install it myself, and actually it was for a logn bed extended cab so I had to do some modifying, but I only have like 180 bucks in it and its sweet.

NacsMXer
03-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by I-7
I'm in the same boat kind of. I have a '99 f-150 5.4 and I'm looking for a good full exhaust system. I was looking at the Magna Flow, Flowmaster, and Gibson. Right now I'm leaning towards Flowmaster because I want dual pipes but I'm not really sure which one would sound and perform the best.

Out of those choices MagnaFlow is going to flow the best and give you the most gains (although they are very slight). Flowmaster will sound the best by far if that is what you are most concerned with. My truck came with a Flowmaster 40 series original single outlet muffler when I bought it. It sounded nice, but I wanted dual outlets. I switched to duals on the exact same muffler and wow big difference. Then I switched from 3.5" tips to 21" long 4" diameter tips....much more deep and throaty. Then when I switched to hi flow cats the true sound of my motor came alive :devil: Those stock cats are the biggest cork in the exhaust system. The stock exhaust manifolds flow enough up to 500HP on these 5.4L's so you don't really have to step up to headers until you are attaining that power level.

Ghost-Rider
03-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Out of those choices MagnaFlow is going to flow the best and give you the most gains (although they are very slight). Flowmaster will sound the best by far if that is what you are most concerned with. My truck came with a Flowmaster 40 series original single outlet muffler when I bought it. It sounded nice, but I wanted dual outlets.

Ya, back when we had our mustang we had magnaflows but they are more deep and i want something i can hear well at idle and all, and i know about the backpressure = loss so thats why i was thikin just change the muffler and keep it all 2.5, but if i just bought the muffler and stuff how much welding would have to be done? figured i could just buy it all and take to a muffler shop and tell them to put it on.

Ghost-Rider
03-10-2007, 02:00 PM
One more thing, do tips really influence sound that much? What would you guys reccomend ? i had figured just a angled peice, but does the length and size matter much?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to double check and make sure it gets done right.

ShiftFMX
03-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Well I went from a 4" to A 3.5" and that didnt change the sound at all.

Here's the 4" Tips...I loved the size of these ones much better, but they werent stainless steel, and they began to rust.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/dsc056385pe.jpg

Ghost-Rider
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Yea figured wouldnt matter to much inless you went huge, i figured id just get a 3" angled tip or somthing simple.
Also anyone else ever use www.hileri.com for their exhaust? They have low prices just wondered if any others had experience with them?

NacsMXer
03-10-2007, 02:51 PM
One more thing, do tips really influence sound that much? What would you guys reccomend ? i had figured just a angled peice, but does the length and size matter much?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to double check and make sure it gets done right.

Not a stupid question at all. I didn't know much about exhausts either until I did a little experimenting with it. I really think that big/long tips allow a deeper tone because of the megaphone effect. If you have a 2 inch pipe for example, it's going to sound crackly/poppy but you put a 4 inch tip on it and it's going to sound deeper with more rumble to it. This is an extreme example, but yes, tips make a difference in tone to an extent.

I had 3.5 inch chrome tips on it at first but they started to rust on the inside and looked like crap. I switched them out for 4" diameter 21" long stainless tips and I like them much better. I really wish I would have gone stainless the first time...IMO it's the only way to go these days.

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/NacsMXer/123517.jpg

Ghost-Rider
03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
One more for now, do you think i could do this all at home with a MIG welder? or should exhaust be done with a TIG? we have a mig but im afraid it might go through the pipe.

bulkdriverlp
03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
well the red ford sound byte sounds good but the first time you went by a cop around here you would be pulled over for being too loud.

the silver chevy, i like the doulbe tail pipes but in michigan it is illegal to have your exhaust exit before the rear axle. in '97 the ford f-150 came like that from the factory but got recalled for tarnishing the center cap and rim. dont know the laws in your area.

i recommend flowmaster 40 series, the kid that said get something louder is right, i have the 4.6 and it has 4 cats from the factory also. i have a cat-back duals, not sure the brand of muffler thou.

trx400EXtreme
03-10-2007, 06:53 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/trx400extreme/P6160401.jpg

im partial to open headers:D :p

Blue250X
03-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/trx400extreme/P6160401.jpg

im partial to open headers:D :p

haha My freind used to run his camaro on open headers:p

Which 450?
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I also made the exhaust from the headers back on my v8 s10, and I welded it with a little mig flux core welder

Ghost-Rider
03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Well, i went and ordered the 40 Series last night, just the muffler since i still dont know what length pipe i will need after the muffler so it should be here around tuesday or wensday, i got the muffler for $51.00 with a discount code and its free shipping so im happy ill let you guys know how it all is once its all said and done.

Thanks for the help with all my questions.:rolleyes::)

Which 450?
03-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, i went and ordered the 40 Series last night, just the muffler since i still dont know what length pipe i will need after the muffler so it should be here around tuesday or wensday, i got the muffler for $51.00 with a discount code and its free shipping so im happy ill let you guys know how it all is once its all said and done.

Thanks for the help with all my questions.:rolleyes::)

Where'd you get it from, If I could get a muffler for that cheap Id buy one

cragar8
03-12-2007, 06:08 PM
i like open headers to! i also like the sound right behind my head.
its got a 350 with dynomax headers into 2 1/4 pipe then cats then more 2 1/4 pipe,then they dump into the 4inch stacks.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/cragar8/videos/?action=view&current=truckpipes.flv

Ghost-Rider
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
Where'd you get it from, If I could get a muffler for that cheap Id buy one

I got it from www.Performancepeddler.com
when you put somthing in your cart use the discount code ebay2e and you get like $10 off the cost and if you order somthing $130+ and use the $10 code and prmote the code and site you get another $10 off, but my order wasnt $130.

Ghost-Rider
03-13-2007, 10:24 AM
It's here !

Well it got here a few mins ago now i just gotta find my exhaust leak and order the pipe after the muffler and im set, im so happy lol.:D

54warrior
03-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Ever heard of these guys....AWESOME!!!

www.zoomersexhaust.com

hdavis21
03-13-2007, 04:16 PM
well ive got "box" flows on my 78 with 2.5" pipe and 5" bull d!ck$ 45 degreed out and they sound real good esp. with the 4spd when ur lettin er eat in a mud hole... :)~ btw true duals!!!!