PDA

View Full Version : what mini quad to buy?

jnoble
03-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I am a new member, and I have a 5yr old boy that I would like to get into quad racing 50cc. What is the quad to buy?

Traindog71
03-09-2007, 09:20 AM
If you are going to get into racing, I would definately suggest any of the 2-stroke models, do not waste your time or money on a newer 4-stroke as there is drastic difference in the power produced. I would suggest looking in the classifieds here or EBay for a built race ready quad, will save you tons of time and money building one, If you must buy new, I would suggest something along the lines of the Xtreme, DRR, Polaris 50 (2006 model), Bam X, etc, one of the Taiwanese minis. many options, all very similar in build, if you want to race one, hope you have deep pockets

jnoble
03-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I had been looking at many different models. The three that interst me the most are the cobra, typhoon, and Bam X. The price of the cobra looks like a typo 6k. Are the other models relaible?

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 11:07 AM
The DRX50 is the best choice in the 50cc class...It is only $1,999

and only the Cobra is better in stock form...

The DRX50 won the 4-6 stk chmpionship the 3 last years

Easily the best choice for the money

http://www.drrinc.com

The 07s are dual a-arm, 4 whl dsk. MX tire setup,performance engine and exhuast..

Here is a link for the 06 DRX50....07 has a lot more features and is faster.

http://www.********.com/machines/drr/drx50ridetest-06.htm

Scroll down to bottom left to see video link

jnoble
03-09-2007, 12:59 PM
The 07 DRR does look like a nice bike. The cobra, xtreme and bam x, look like they are built better, Where is DRR made? what about parts availability?

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
The Cobra may be built better (for $4K more, it better be), but the others no way....

DRR is built in Taiwan and parts are in abundance (OEM and HP)

DRR is a top quality product....

BAM X is a copy of the Xtreme...

DRR National Championships should speak for themselves??

I

jnoble
03-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for you input. If I were to go with the DRR what would be the mods to do? Who are the guys to talk to about the DRR's?

Livin4Real
03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Check out the drr forum above for alot more info. as far as a new racer goes the DRR 50 is a great quad for the money. We actually have a cobra and a kasea ourselves so I'm not bias by any means. The $6500 price tag on the cobra is hard to swallow, especially for new folks to the sport. If you find out your kid really wants to stick with racing then you can always look into one later. Two strokes are alot cheaper to make faster than four strokes as well and as was mentioned there are a ton of aftermaket parts for the drr. Always ask around for the best price as well, save you some money.

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
The DRRs come stock with performance features as standards....

There are always things you can do to make them faster...but out of the box they are pretty quick...

Great starting place for an MX racer......

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
Check out the drr forum above for alot more info. as far as a new racer goes the DRR 50 is a great quad for the money. We actually have a cobra and a kasea ourselves so I'm not bias by any means. The $6500 price tag on the cobra is hard to swallow, especially for new folks to the sport. If you find out your kid really wants to stick with racing then you can always look into one later. Two strokes are alot cheaper to make faster than four strokes as well and as was mentioned there are a ton of aftermaket parts for the drr. Always ask around for the best price as well, save you some money.

Great info in your post!!

TWISTED DINLI
03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Get a Dinli:D
Here is mine.

Dirtblast
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Call Brad at Team Sims Racing. 615-740-8827 He said he had 2 DRR 50's left for sell at around cost.

Gus

mxdad423
03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
The DRR is a good quad, but so are the E-tons and Kasea's. My son races an E-ton 70 and a Kasea 90 and we really love them, Yes the DRR comes with the duals but you can also get the duals for the others also, any three of them are great quads, I personally never owned a DRR but have raced against a couple. The one kid my son races against in the 70 class bought a dual a-arm DRR last year and said it didn't handle good at all and actually went back to running the DRR with single a-arms because it handled better, but again that came from that rider. We have the DC Motorsports Duals on both my son's E-ton and Kasea and he said it handles like a dream. No matter wich one you buy Cory at KoolKidz has all the performanc parts he is reall a great guy to deal with, his web site is www.koolkidzatv.com, if you call him tell him Kevin sent you he will take care of you. heres some pics of my sons E-ton and Kasea.

mxdad423
03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
That was the E-ton 70 here is the Kasea 90 not fully assembled still working on it.

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Any brand can be made to go fast....

But for a new MX rider the DRR is the best value out of the box. IMO

You would have to change the a-arms and the axles to match the width of the DRR, plus add engine mods and exhaust mods to equal a DRR stock.

The money you spend on the Kasea or Dinili will end up costing a lot more....I don't believe this point can be disputed

He is 5 yrs old...so he would be in the stk class which means you can't make these changes.....this has to be taken into consideration as well..

On the a-arms--The older DRR dual a arms had different shocks as well...

The new dual a arm set ups I have seen are much improved..

Not knocking the other brands...Merely saying stock vs stock it hard to dispute the DRR's value

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by mxdad423
The DRR is a good quad, but so are the E-tons and Kasea's. My son races an E-ton 70 and a Kasea 90 and we really love them, Yes the DRR comes with the duals but you can also get the duals for the others also, any three of them are great quads, I personally never owned a DRR but have raced against a couple. The one kid my son races against in the 70 class bought a dual a-arm DRR last year and said it didn't handle good at all and actually went back to running the DRR with single a-arms because it handled better, but again that came from that rider. We have the DC Motorsports Duals on both my son's E-ton and Kasea and he said it handles like a dream. No matter wich one you buy Cory at KoolKidz has all the performanc parts he is reall a great guy to deal with, his web site is www.koolkidzatv.com, if you call him tell him Kevin sent you he will take care of you. heres some pics of my sons E-ton and Kasea.

Nice quad...Looks like you have all the goodies on it....Cory is a great guy to deal with.....

Livin4Real
03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
[B]Any brand can be made to go fast....

But for a new MX rider the DRR is the best value out of the box. IMO

You would have to change the a-arms and the axles to match the width of the DRR, plus add engine mods and exhaust mods to equal a DRR stock.

Actually they all share the same engine and actually the kasea comes unrestricted (no rev limiter) stock and has a nice chambered exhaust.

The money you spend on the Kasea or Dinili will end up costing a lot more....I don't believe this point can be disputed

The kasea and drr are very similiar aside from duals and share alot of interchangeable parts. So yes that point can be disputed. Dinli no longer imports to the U.S.

He is 5 yrs old...so he would be in the stk class which means you can't make these changes.....this has to be taken into consideration as well..

Depends on where and what type of racing they're doing. Alot of the limited classes have been replaced with production classes.

Not trying to argue, just sharing facts.

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 08:32 PM
The DRR also comes with a no rev limiter that plugs right in..no extra charge...

The same engine design, but not the same porting or head performance

So you would have to alter the Kasea to get it perform the same

The a-arms and axle alone would probaly cost about $750-$1,000 so how can that be ignored?

I agree that alot of it comes down to the local rules.....No need to conform to rules that don't exist...

Not knocking the Kasea "potential" but stock for stock "I believe" the DRR is the obvious choice....

Kasea would need a-arms, axle, tires, shocks,cylinder and head to be equal....That sounds like a lot of extra money to me?

Remember this not a knock on Kasea, but (in stock form) spec vs spec it doesn't compare....

Livin4Real
03-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Remember there is a price difference of about $700 between the two. A manufacturer can do alot with $700 more buying options in bulk (ask someone to honestly tell you how much the Apex is imported for). I'm not saying the drr isn't a better quad, I happen to think it is, but your not considering price points. If you just want to compare stock mini's then bring the cobra back into it. All I ask is that you give the kasea it's due respect. It ruled the miniquad scene for a long time and still is a very strong runner at local tracks and as I said the DRR and Kasea share alot in common.

bulldogfallon
03-09-2007, 11:12 PM
First off....The sponsor page link you have is pretty cool...Great pics....My son was just in the April edition of Dirt Wheels in the reader's area and I know how cool he thought that was. He also started out on an LT50 at age 3...They outgrow those pretty fast....but they serve their purpose for the smaller riders...

Back to the Kasea and DRR discussion

I am not able to find a $700 difference between them?

The 2007 Kasea Skyhawk 50 is listed at $1,895 MSRP and the DRX50 is $1,995.

Yes..The Cobra is the best choice for MX...no doubt, but the price is a little steep, but speed comes with a cost...I will not dispute the Cobra's superior peformance

This is the write up for the 2007 Kasea--

For 2007, Kasea updated the graphics on all its Skyhawks to match the 90. The Skyhawk 50 is the larger of the two Kasea 50cc quads. The Skyhawk Mini is designed for smaller youth riders, ages 6 and up. Both models use drum braking. The Mini is almost a full foot shorter than the Skyhawk 50. The larger 50 only weighs 211 pounds dry, but that’s still more than 75 pounds heavier than the Mini. Both models have an automatic transmission.

VITALS

Engine type: 49cc two-stroke/49.3cc two-stroke

Carburetor: Mikuni/Mikuni VM16

Ignition: CDI

Starter: Electric or kick/Electric

Transmission: CVT

Driveline: Chain

Front shocks (travel, in.): Single A-arm w/adj. shocks (NA)/Double (NA)

Rear shock (travel, in.): Swingarm w/adj. shock (NA)/Single shock (NA)

Brakes f/r: Drum/drum/NA/Drum

Tires f/r: 16 x 8-7/145 x 70-6

Length/width/height (in.): 55.1/33.8/33.4/43.3/25.2/24

Seat height: 25.9/19.5 in.

Ground clearance: 4/4.25 in.

Wheelbase: 36.6/29.3 in.

Dry weight: 211/128

Fuel capacity: 1.19/0.68 gal.

Colors: Blue, red, yellow ($1,895)/Mini $1,295

Livin4Real
03-10-2007, 12:12 AM
I was going by kool kidz site. They are showing $2200 for the DRX 50 (which I just noticed the math doesn't add up on their site for the 50, lol.) Kasea 50's can be picked up for $1500-$1600 these are out the door pricing. I honestly didn't know kasea was going to continue their lineup. Thanks for the comments and for keeping this debate civil :macho Like I said I agree the DRR is a better choice, just want to see kasea get their credit too for helping get the ball rolling.

(and yes Jack, LT80's too :blah: )

Sorry to the OP for thread stealing :o

mxdad423
03-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
Nice quad...Looks like you have all the goodies on it....Cory is a great guy to deal with.....

Hey thanks alot, the Kasea should be fully assembled this weekend I will posts some pics of it when it is complete.

I didn't mean to start a war but like said the Kasea's and E-tons need their respect, I know our's are still kicking the DRR's but on the track, LOL no seriously I figure the DRR is a good machine but Like I said earlier I just was told they did not handle very well but then again every rider is differant. My self personally am sticking with the E-ton and Kasea but thats my opinion everybody likes something differant....

jnoble
03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
I appreciate all the feed back regarding what mini to buy. I agree now that the DRR 50 is probably the right choice for my son. He is only 5, and will more than likely run in the stock class. And feel that the DRR would give him the best shot at winning. Is there any upgrades you can do in the stock class? wheels&tires etc...

Livin4Real
03-12-2007, 09:16 AM
That will all depend on what track/level you'll be racing. Most tracks are shoot from the hip as far as rules for miniquads go. If you plan on running a certain series or track let us know and we can give you the lowdown on rules.

jnoble
03-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I am not sure where we will be racing yet. I had been looking around for a curcuit that would keep me from driving 12 hours to race. I had spoke with the rep for d-14 ama and they have a decent schedule within the state.

Livin4Real
03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
You might check out www.readsracing.com in northern Indiana. They have huge schedule (120 races) so plenty of time to race when you want. They always have good miniquad turnouts as well.

Brian

jnoble
03-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the link, there are a lot of races there!

Livin4Real
03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the biggest (longest) series in the U.S. They have four different tracks they run on which are all well maintained. But the downside is if you want to actually run their series then you are looking at having to stay competitive for 120 some odd races and be totally dedicated to them alone. We go when we aren't running elsewhere and have a good time. The Read's are really nice folks. It's nice on saturday's when they run in the morning and then in the evening so you travel once and race 4 times.

jnoble
03-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I really appreciate all the info. I am very excited about getting him a quad, and just want to make sure I get him the right one and we have a place to run it. He has a ttr 50 now and when I bought it last year he wanted a quad I guess I should have listened. Is a 70 too big for a 5 yr old?

bulldogfallon
03-12-2007, 04:06 PM
The 50, 70 and 90 are all physically the same size (except for tire size)

The 50 has a lot of performance in stock form and can always be upgraded to a 70.

The 70 is not much more money than a 50 ,so it wouldn't be a bad option, but most local tracks in my area don't support a 70cc class..

You go right from a 50cc to a 90cc class

The local scene is a big factor in many atv purchases.

Performance can always be added if it you need it.

If it were me then I would go with the 50 and upgrade to a 70 when the time is right.