PDA

View Full Version : Any gain in removing airbox?

02silverpile
03-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Ok, so you see my setup, now im thinking of adding the hot cams stage 2 and removing my airbox. Would it hurt me more if i took the airbox off, vs leaving the lid off and drilling holes in the box or adding scoops to the airbox. I have heard that if you take the snorkel plug out or take the box off it disturbs the air velocity around the air filter. Or if i cut the bottom off and left the lid off it would at least trap air around the filter instead of letting air pass around the filter and relieing on the filter to pull the air in. Thanks

250r4life
03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
my logic is have you ever stuck your head out the window doing 70 down the freeway? is it easy to breathe like that?

02silverpile
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
250r, that is probably the best analogy I have ever heard. So im guessing you are suggesting that I leave the airbox on. Now for step 2, should I put hole in the side or should I force air into the box via air scoops or something?

250r4life
03-15-2007, 12:57 AM
if you leave the lid off, and youve already got the K&N, i dont think you will see much if any gain by doing anything else...

One_Bad_400
03-22-2007, 10:12 AM
you will definitely see a gain by taking the lid off, or the whole box off. analogies, although clever, aren't always true. What is true is that people have seen HP gains on dyno's by doing these things. Look at every pro bike out there, no airbox at all, their engine builders KNOW, through experience, what they are doing. I've been told by several engine builders and buy Curtis Sparks himself that they even see HP gains when the seat is off. Here's an analogy for you since you like them, put a piece of plastic right up against your lips and try to suck in as hard as you can, then try to suck in open air. The more free space around that filter, the better

250r4life
03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
you will definitely see a gain by taking the lid off, or the whole box off. analogies, although clever, aren't always true. What is true is that people have seen HP gains on dyno's by doing these things. Look at every pro bike out there, no airbox at all, their engine builders KNOW, through experience, what they are doing. I've been told by several engine builders and buy Curtis Sparks himself that they even see HP gains when the seat is off. Here's an analogy for you since you like them, put a piece of plastic right up against your lips and try to suck in as hard as you can, then try to suck in open air. The more free space around that filter, the better

i see what youre saying... yes and no...

if you took your seat off of your bike and stuck it on your mouth, you would have a problem sucking in air... but move it away from your mouth an inch and you would have no problem whatsoever...

and the dyno does not always translate to real life... and from everybody i have heard, taking away the airbox takes away from your bottom to mid range...

i dont think the difference is too much to argue either way...

One_Bad_400
03-22-2007, 06:38 PM
here's another way to think about it...more gas and air into the bike means more power, right? Hence, HIGHER flow air filters are better, HIGHER flow port jobs are better, a supercharger, blower, turbo FORCE air into the engine and create more power. Take the airbox off your bike, you'll have to put a bigger jet in, which is for more gas, the keep the air/fuel ratio correct, since you're now getting more air.

buck naked-r
03-22-2007, 11:22 PM
this is with a FCI intake............alittle more power with the box ON
IF you remove the box your taking away the vacum the box creates.......
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o101/buck450/air-boxtest.jpg

02silverpile
03-28-2007, 10:56 PM
the chart makes sense. I like to see results.

pro-rider46
04-07-2007, 09:59 PM
buck naked r, 1bad 400 is right about the box off, the more air and fuel you stick in, the more power you make

you guys go out and buy some bigger jets which are only a few bucks and pull the lid off and if you have the a/f ratio rite you should feel a bit more power and if you dont go back to the way it was before and it would be worth 6 bucks just to find out if you like it or not

go ahead and give it a shot

GPracer2500
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
buck naked r, 1bad 400 is right about the box off, the more air and fuel you stick in, the more power you make

you guys go out and buy some bigger jets which are only a few bucks and pull the lid off and if you have the a/f ratio rite you should feel a bit more power and if you dont go back to the way it was before and it would be worth 6 bucks just to find out if you like it or not

go ahead and give it a shot

They're talking about completely removing the entire airbox, not the just the lid.

I don't think anyone is questioning that getting the most air/fuel mixture into the engine (as quickly as possible) is the name of the game.

The question is whether the removing a lid'less airbox helps, hurts, or has no effect on the ability of air to move effeciently into the engine. I could see it going either way: 1) The box creates an area of relatively turbulent-free space around the filter allowing for smoother flow into the filter. Or, 2) whatever benefit option #1 provides is overshadowed by the box creating an impediment to the supply of air.

Buck's graph shows (at least on his bike, with his settup, in that particular test) that keeping the box helped more than it hurt.

nickvolby
03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
idk much but couldnt you cut all the air box off but leave the side towards the engine to stop the turbulance (if turbulance is a problem) and you would still have a completely open air fileter to suck in air

One_Bad_400
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
2 years late on your post bud lol

nickvolby
03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
ya but see someone replies still jus bringin it back

03-11-2009, 06:59 PM
rather than remove it, I would just trim it. It would block the hot engine air and exhaust so maybe cut open the back, bottom, and left side?

nickvolby
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
ya that was wat i was kinda saying to do

RATPACK Z400
03-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I posted this already ,But what about a fan that pulls air in on top of airbox that the speed is controlled by throttle more throttle fan gets faster?would that help gain hps?