PDA

View Full Version : Warrior carb to cylinder connection

Dave83
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I just replaced the boot between the carb and cylinder on my neices Warrior less than 6 months ago.It has already split.I thought I remembered seeing an aluminum one somewhere.Anyone know anything about them?

gotwarrior
03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I haven't seen one... But I would like to have if they make them.. I am one my second one in a year..:(

54warrior
03-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I've never heard of an aftermarket one and I'm sure there isn't one.

Why does it keep failing? I'm sure the rubber is just getting torn correct? I had to replace mine once, and that was my own fault. I was 14, young and stupid, it was my first time removing the carb and I tore it. Didn't even realize it till I went for a ride afterwards and had this strange sucking sound.

You really have to have a good hold on the carb before you try to loosen the 12mm (or are they 10?) nuts that attach the carb to the flange you speak of, otherwise, it will twist too far and tear the boot. I really can't see any other way that it would fail, other than being mishandled like that.

I'm curious as to why yours are failing if what I describe above is not the case.

I've had my quad for 10+ years and have only replaced that one.

gotwarrior
03-09-2007, 08:29 AM
THe only reason why I had to replace mine is because it was like that when I bought it... previse owner ripped it and rapped black tape around it instead of buying a new one??:confused: But I do recommend taking off the intake from the air box off before removing the carb... It just takes off the stress on the rubber..;)

Dave83
03-09-2007, 06:28 PM
The first one was as it came on the quad(w/ black tape).I replaced it with an aftermarket one(cant remember what brand).It looks to me like the carb to airbox angle is off.This bike isnt mint by any means.Are there some kind of spacers/cushions that go under the airbox mounting tabs?With no bolts in it,it lacks 3/8-1/2" to touch frame mounts.Tightening the bolts only puts pressure on the boot in question.There is a aluminum somewhere,it cost about the same as the stock one,I almost bought one the last time,just cant remember where I saw them

gotwarrior
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Dave83
It looks to me like the carb to airbox angle is off.

Don't quote me on this.. but in my experience it seems to me that it can really only go one way.. I seems to me like I put it on and I was having the same problem.. (to much stress on the rubber) So then I flipped it over and it lined up alot better.. Its like there is a angle there that has to be just right..

54warrior
03-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Dave83
I replaced it with an aftermarket one(cant remember what brand).It looks to me like the carb to airbox angle is off. Are there some kind of spacers/cushions that go under the airbox mounting tabs?With no bolts in it,it lacks 3/8-1/2" to touch frame mounts.Tightening the bolts only puts pressure on the boot in question.

There should be no spacers between the frame and airbox mounts. It should sit down in there pretty easy. Sounds to me, as gotwarrior suggested, like the flange (Part 1) itself is mounted incorrectly. Maybe it's upside down and backwards perhaps? If you look at the picture below, there is definately a certain way that it gets installed.

What exactly is holding the airbox from sitting flush on the frame without any pressure on it? There is really no need for the airbox to be removed to take off the carb/flange.

If you have the flange installed on the cylinder, and the airbox installed on the frame BEFORE you put in the carb. The location of the carb is then controlled by the locations of the flange and the airbox Outlet.

The locations of the flange and and the airbox outlet to the carb should NEVER change. They are "fixed" by rigid mounts.

The flange is bolted to the cylinder, which is bolted to the motor, which is bolted to the frame.

The airbox is bolted directly to the frame.

Is it possible that the rubber "intake" (Part 16) between the carb/airbox, is not installed on the airbox correctly? Maybe it was twisted off of center perhaps. I'm just tossing random thoughts out there. Are you sure that it's the original carb?

When you are trying to install the airbox, do you have the lid on it? The airbox "intake" (Part 17) has to fit up and in under the gas tank cover correctly, otherwise it will hold things up.

Good luck man. Let us know what you find out.

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/Yamaha/2000/ATVs/934_intake.gif