PDA

View Full Version : Flat track racing?

yellow400ex05
03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I was watching some videos of quad flat track racing. It doesn't look like its that difficult. I don't get how going in circles is a real race. Its kinda like nascar but on quads. I'm not dissing the type of racing but i just don't see how its that hard or how you get much skill from racing flattrack.

x.system
03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
You will never understand it until you get out there and try it then come back and ask why you got lapped, twice :D

7 speed
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I thought the same thing for a long time until I tried it.

If it's not all that difficult go to the next EDT National and show them all how it's done.

honda4life72
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
yea ..just try tt racing , its more fun

yellow400ex05
03-08-2007, 07:07 PM
are you mainly topped out all the time? are you geared high?

Kendall33
03-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm going to have to agree and disagree...Flat track racing takes skill but it is extremely boring to race or watch(just like nascar)...EDT is much more fun to race and watch (in my opinion)
:D

metalmellinium
03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
What not fun about going 50-70 touching tires? Atleast watching it you can see the whole track not parts of it.

x.system
03-09-2007, 07:44 AM
I think its a mix of confidence and skill. The biggest problem I see with the new guys that show up to race is their confidence to stick it in the corner. Most will let off or brake hard right before a corner, you can see this when they leave their brake light hooked up :) The confidence comes in when you know you can hold your bike at wot into the corner and you know it will stick. I've seen guys that just started racing and within a couple weeks they are holding their own, others take longer to get the confidence but still get out there every week to run.

Anyone can get out there and run oval and get good at it if they keep at it. I think oval racing is less expensive to get started but finding tracks to run at is more difficult. I have an oval track 20 minutes away so thats why I chose oval and we run every Friday night under the lights. At almost every race we had, someone was taken off the track in an ambulance, most of the time it was a new rider pushing his limits but there were a couple of regulars that got tangled up and when you hit that hard clay at 50 to 70 bones break.

Another thing is intimidation, alot of guys I've seen at the track don't want you to get to close to them. I've passed guys on the inside and slide up right next to them and they will move out of the way or slow down instead of racing side by side to the next corner.

I think its alot more fun to be on the track than in the stands watching. I've had to sit out a race or two and just watch, unless theres a good battle for the lead going on it is kind of boring.

trick250r
03-09-2007, 08:22 AM
racing is racing... if its horse racing, NASCAR, F1, MX, TT, XC, or even little RC cars. you cant say that just one form of racing is boring. if youre ever in a race and are bored, either youre getting lapped beyond all belief or you youre running away from the feild. racing takes the same menatlity all the way around. you race NASCAR and i guarantee that you worry about the same things as you do in any other kind of race... pushing your limits, wrecking, the guy next to you, the guy in front of you, which turn is next (and yes, oval tracks may look like the corners are the same but really the corners are completely different. going into turn 3 you may be able to hold it WFO but going into turn 1 could be a different story.)... the same thing goes on in every racers mind. if you think any type of racing is boring, you really must not be able to relate bc no matter what kind of race i watch, i know that when im on the MX track i think about the same things as the person(s) in watching. sorry for the long post but i had to vent. im tired of people thinking that some forms of racing are easier than each other (most people like to point out NASCAR in this situation but its one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports out there). its racing, its all hard.

7 speed
03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
I agree 100%

The only time it sucks or is boring is when the pack gets spread out and everyone is going in circles.

That does suck to watch.

But I love racing both oval and TT.