PDA

View Full Version : Project B-class XC 450R

balls2da-wall
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Well the season is fast approaching and I wanted to do a quad build-up to race in the Iowa and Missouri ATV Harescramble series that would compete in the B-class. I started with a left-over 2005 450R that I picked up for a VERY, VERY, good price! I knew this quad was going to be all go and no gshow. By that I mean I wasnt going to spend much money on making the quad look good. I just wanted it to perform. This is what it looked like stripped of its stock parts. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p1d9d2fdd54a319e39fddb0b4c249fe5e/ea63a5d1.jpg

To start the project off I had originally planned on running TCS shocks all around. I heard great things about them and thought it would be a good change from the Elkas ive been use to. However, they do not have rebound adjustments and I really needed a shock that did. I ended up going with elka quadrate LT with remote ressies for front shocks since the dealer I purchased my a-arms from could get them for a respectable price. For the rear shock I knew I wanted to try out a GT Thunder conversion. It not only saved me 500$ going this route, but I knew I would be getting a shock that was spot-on as far as valving went. I also got there rear linkage. In the a-arm department it was between housers silcast, Lonestar DC-4's, or ATVFourPlay MGC a-arms. After pondering for awhile I chose ATVFourplay for a-arms. The cost was the same as the silcast, but I have worked with Tom from ATVFourPlay before on my CRF450ex hybrid and knew he would not let me down. His customer service is outstanding and his a-arms more than impressed me as far as quality and engineering. I added steel braided brake lines in the front as well. For wheels I went with Hiper Carbon Fiber wheels. As many of you know its not cheap replacing aluminum wheels race after race. For tires I decided to run Razr 2's in the front again, but this time for the rear I decided to try std. Razr's for more high speed stability and more control in cornering. I felt last year that my razr 2's would bite whenever they felt when cornering. To remove the head light assembly and get some air flowing through the radiator I went with a maier vented hood. A moose bumper adorns the front of this machine, but if I had to choose again I would of went with a IMS or DG GNCC2. For the engine I left it stock. I felt no need in adding more HP than a filter and slip-on exhaust would gain me. For the slip-on I went with a LRD pro series 4. In past years ive ran HMF pipes and love them, but I felt it a fitting time to try another brand, and I was impressed. Very high quality and the sound is amazing. A UNI filter was also installed along with jet kit. Feeding the carb is a IMS oversized fuel tank. For handlebars I had to see what the buzz was all about these Fasst Flex bars, so I bit the bullet and spent the money on them. I have yet to give them a good run, but they seem to work well. Powermadd handgaurds found there way atop the bars to protect my hands from flying debris and tree limbs. I do not run a aftermarket engine skid and this may be frowned apon by others, but for a swinger skid I went with a PRM .25 thickness aluminum skid. Some cutting was nessacery to making the longtravel linkage fit, but the stock linkage fits nicely in the skid. There are also a few other parts such as a new clutch perch and lever, parking brake block-off, and killswitch. Parts I am still waiting on include a Rekluse Pro Series auto-clutch(ran one last year and CAN NOT live without it!), a set of Proarmor fat peg nerf bars, and a precision dampener.

Here is the finished quad.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pf1cff0273115e4315401a35de5410973/ea63a5a7.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pd1f9d4b2543c219f7cf0dc31a6cbc3eb/ea63a5c0.jpg

quadgod440ex
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Really nice turn out .

TWISTED DINLI
03-08-2007, 04:22 PM
niiiiccce. nice job

SwainRacing
03-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Looking good! I just put the Pro in my 05TRX and it is great. I ran the z start for the last 2 years and dont want to go back to a standard clutch!

balls2da-wall
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SwainRacing
Looking good! I just put the Pro in my 05TRX and it is great. I ran the z start for the last 2 years and dont want to go back to a standard clutch!

Yeah, tell me about it! I like the zstart, but it was even greater news when they came out with the Pro! Took some of the hassle out of adjustment and what-not. I dont know how anyone can run without one in XC.:p