PDA

View Full Version : 250ex maintenance

cali6869
10-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone, I just bought a 250ex for my fiancee and I was wondering what kind of maintenance is required?
I havent really done anything to it.
I have gone to the dunes like 4 times, do you guys think that I should change the oil after everytime we hit the dunes?
what else should I do or you guys recomend.

kxrider
10-04-2002, 01:15 PM
change oil, ,every 50-70hrs, clean air fliter like every 120-150hrs, thats what i do

ryanh250ex
10-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by kxrider
change oil, ,every 50-70hrs, clean air fliter like every 120-150hrs, thats what i do

wtf?!?!?!

you change the oil every 50-70 hrs?i always that your were supposed to change every 30-40 hours, and i heard THAT was pushing it to the limit. you sure that's right?

your air filter must be soaked in dirt if you clean it every 120-150 hours. there is NO way you can run a machine that long without changing it's air filter. i change mine every 5-15 hours, and mine is usually pretty dirty. your machine must run like chit if you do that. the manual says 20 hours, i honestly dont see how you can go 6-8 times that . how many hours does your 250 have on it?i cant imagine it's in the best of shape.

NJ300ex
10-06-2002, 08:09 AM
The kxrider kid must have been on crack when he posted that. That was totally wrong.

Since you ride in the dunes I expect it is mostly wide open riding and the engine gets prettty hot? I would say change the oil after every two times you go to the dunes. That would be playing it safe. Keep an eye on the oil also. You don't have to base it on hours, base it on how the oil looks. I don't think the 250ex has an oil filter.

I usually clean my air filter after every ride. I ride in really dirty conditions though. Sand is probabaly easier on the filter. Just clean it when it looks dirty.

rider250ex
10-07-2002, 06:18 PM
i have had my 250 for a little over a year and i ride trails every sunday and everyday during the summer and i just changed my oil for the first time a few weeks ago. i think i waited a little to long. oh well it still runs

kxrider
10-07-2002, 08:03 PM
dont be makin fun of me, all i know is at my local shop the told me filter, once a year, and oil every 100hours, and i do it a littl earlier, to be safe

ryanh250ex
10-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by kxrider
dont be makin fun of me, all i know is at my local shop the told me filter, once a year, and oil every 100hours, and i do it a littl earlier, to be safe

we're not, i'm just saying that seems to be WAY off. i've never been to louisiana, so i dont really know what kind of conditions you ride in, so you may very well be right. where i ride (Southern New Jersey), it basically requires me to check, if not then clean and oil the air filter every 10 hours or so, if not less. i dunno if you have a honda service manual, but it says to inspect/clean/replace the air filter and the oil.the GEAR oil should be done once every 100 hours, if that's what you're thinking of. i'm talking about the MOTOR oil. there's two completely different things, you know.

bakerboyz
10-08-2002, 06:16 PM
The manual says to replace the oil every 100 hours, the gear oil every 2 years and there is no oil filter.

I change my oil every 20 hours or so. you need to greese the a arms and shock mounts every 6 months to keep it from squeeking.

clean the air filter when dirty. This can happen after 1 ride if it is dusty enough.

Also, check the drain holes around the battery. mine always clog and the well fills with water.

Clean the spark arrester once a year

A new sprark plug once a year is a good idea. if the plug is coffee (with milk) brown you know your jetting is good.

brokeitin3
10-09-2002, 06:15 AM
just follow the owner's manual instructions:) you will do ok with it