PDA

View Full Version : some bearing carrier questions?

SnotMe80
10-03-2002, 11:03 PM
i am putting my new LS axle and bearing carrier in-my question is that the stock carrier has the stopper in the middle of it and the bolt in the bottom of the swingarm keeps it from spinng. my new carrier does not have that-what do i do with the bolt? any helpfull hints on the whole process? how tight should the axle nut be?
thanks
Rob

Ex'r Marlin
10-04-2002, 11:36 AM
:confused: Your axle carrier should have come with directions... Right?

Anyway, it should be a very "simple" installation... Until you get to tightening the axle nut!:rolleyes: That is a "touchy" subject. The answer to that is: Tight enough where you do not have any left to right movement (any play) when installed. By this, I mean that when you have your wheels and tires on, and you have the rear end up off the ground, you should not be able to shake any play in the axle carrier when you place your hands on the tires and try to move the axle left to right. As you tighten the nut... Check for any play.

Note: A trick I use is if the chain slack increases and decreases while doing this, there is still too much play in the axle carrier.

Good luck!:) Congradulations on your new axle and carrier!

10-04-2002, 11:50 AM
i just replaced one

SnotMe80
10-04-2002, 04:42 PM
thanks for the info!!!!
Rob

Houser Cannondale
10-04-2002, 05:34 PM
if its a dual row type carrier.. you need to torque the axle nut and the lock nut.. im not sure on the torque but its pretty tight.. maybe 80 ft lbs. if its tapered bearing style you use the method that Ex'r Marlin mentioned. you slowly tighten the nut until all play is taken up.. then you tighten it a small amount more to preload the tapered bearings. hope this helps.

cdalejef
10-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Just put that little bolt back in to keep water form getting in there. Just remember to take it back out when you need to regrease the housing in a couple months.