PDA

View Full Version : DHL...100,000 lost packages!

Pappy
03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I have been dealing with DHL, trying desperatley to find a frame they "lost" and the man told me they have easily over 100,000 items in what they call their "lost and found":eek: He said he worked for UPS prior to this and they have even more:eek:

Good news is, that after almost a MONTH of calling and begging they found it and its being sent to the person. They said they give away most of the lost packages to "charity":ermm:

Ralph
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I have been dealing with DHL, trying desperatley to find a frame they "lost" and the man told me they have easily over 100,000 items in what they call their "lost and found":eek: He said he worked for UPS prior to this and they have even more:eek:

Good news is, that after almost a MONTH of calling and begging they found it and its being sent to the person. They said they give away most of the lost packages to "charity":ermm:

UPS Handles a million packages a day. 100,000 lost isnt really that much over a year or so

Pappy
03-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
UPS Handles a million packages a day. 100,000 lost isnt really that much over a year or so

1 lost package is too many!

Ralph
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
1 lost package is too many!

Start your own shipping company and do better:blah:

I worked at a ups store for like 2 years and never really had a problem.

Usualy packages are lost because the customer screws up. Most packages arent always "Lost". Alot of the time the labels are not attached well and they ripp off. Other times the boxes are not taped well. And cause them to burst and seperate the goods from the label.

There was one time which is quite unbelievable but it happend in canada so it doesnt count:blah:

Assuming that ups ships a million packages a day. 5 days a week.
and about 100,000 a year are lost. thats only 0.0398406375% of packages. Now im sure they loose more than 100,000 but its still minimal.

Pappy
03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
ive seen things inside UPS when i made deliveries there, like packages being THROWN, KICKED and other stupid crap. 99% of this is due to poor employee conduct.

Ralph
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
ive seen things inside UPS when i made deliveries there, like packages being THROWN, KICKED and other stupid crap. 99% of this is due to poor employee conduct.

Exactly. And ups does what it can. I know the hub by me if you are caught mishandeling packages you are gone. Still, i agree that many people dont treat packages like they should be.

03-07-2007, 04:06 PM
looks liek i wont get my item from DHL anytime soon :confused: :rolleyes:

RaptorRacer45
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
outta 2 things I bought from sellers using DHL both have been lost.....They delivered 1 Tire 1 day, took em 2 weeks before i got the other and after more than a month i currently still dont have my Honda Throttle and they know nothing of it!:mad: Ill never give them any of my business if i can help it

hdavis21
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
i ship ups daily at my job and if u want a package broke or mihandled right "fragile" on the box!!! lol.

03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
have never had any lost packages from dhl or ups...but i did ship a swinger thru dhl from pa to kansas, when i dropped it off the guy said $12.xx, and he told me they would bill me. well they sent me the bill and it was $19.xx!! obviously $7 isn't gonna kill me...it's the principle. so from now on since ups has never screwed anything of mine up i will be shipping with them until they do....on a side note; i find it interesting that they have such a big heart with other peoples stuff...especially knowing that those things DEFINITELY belong to someone else...:eek2:

wvspeedfreak
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by hdavis21
i ship ups daily at my job and if u want a package broke or mihandled right "fragile" on the box!!! lol.

That made me think of the movie "ace ventura" when Jim Carrey was disguised as a UPS man.He delivers the package after he slams it in the elevator door and drop kicks it down the hallway.The guy shakes the package and says "It sounds broken".Then Jim Carrey says " More than likely sir..........I bet it was something nice though".LOL :D

Ralph
03-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, so heres what you do. If your package is lost by ups. File a claim. It is automatically insured for up to 100$. You will either get ur item back or get reimbursed. they are very good about these things and i have never had them deny a honest claim.

If your item is worth more than 100$. spend the extra money on insurance. Its reallly cheap.

Retail is 1$ for every 100$ of value. If you call your representative you should beable to talk them down to $.50 a hundred.

This means when shipping something thats $1000 its only $9 to insure it for that value.

There, all ur problems are solved. may cause some hassle but what doesnt these days

honda400ex68b
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
have never had any lost packages from dhl or ups, but fedex has lost a few. i needed a insulin pump shipped on a saturday from fedex and they said they do not ship on saturday, but that saturday, they drove by and delivered to someone else's house. i will not deal with fedex again if i can help it.

Pappy
03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by dlerch
i find it interesting that they have such a big heart with other peoples stuff...especially knowing that those things DEFINITELY belong to someone else...:eek2:

i bet it makes for nice write off also:p

firefighterjosh
03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Atleast you found your frame. My Banshee engine is still missing from 6 months ago:rolleyes:

They say there still looking for it:scary: :ermm:

m4skinner
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I ship with DHL all the time and in about 18 months they have lost 2 boxes and I called them and both was found while I was on the phone with them and delivered within 2 days. FEDEX I won't even go there.

Ralph
03-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by m4skinner
I ship with DHL all the time and in about 18 months they have lost 2 boxes and I called them and both was found while I was on the phone with them and delivered within 2 days. FEDEX I won't even go there.

Never personally delt with dhl but i know i wont ever deal wit fedex.

Mxjunkie
03-08-2007, 06:58 AM
I guess that explains why my boot's aren't here almost a month later :tired:

STEVENJANNA
03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I've probably mentioned this before but, my cousin is a 10 year veteran of the UPS work force. He started as a loader and he's now a fulltime driver. I would rather deliver a package myself than send it UPS. The loaders take pride in destroying packages and if you know anything about delivering packages, the more packages you can stuff, cram and shoe horn into those brown trucks the better. I don't think any of the package carriers give a darn about your packages but I don't know anyone who works for Fed-Ex and I've never had any issues with them. It's kind of a "see no evil" thing for me.

wishmasstir
03-08-2007, 09:42 AM
when i was living at my parents place, i had a set of headlights shipped to me by dhl and they just dropped it off at the end of the driveway with the mailbox. this wouldnt be a big problem but their driveway is over a quarter mile long and anybody could of just picked up the package and took off with it. they didn't care when i called to b1tch at them, they said at least you got the package:eek2:

Tri-valleyracin
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
i havnt had any problems with dhl or ups or fed-ex but one day the dhl guy came to my house to drop a power chair off and my drive way is rased put off the swamp land on each side and he backs up and back start into the swamp. he tried drving out and got stuck in the mud. we had to have a tow truck come and pull him out. but he forgot a package so he had to come back later that day. he gives me the pakage and looks at me and said im not turning around in your drive way. so he gets in his van and start backing up to go out the drive way but he for got to shut the rear doors so the close wrong and bind. he get out looks at me and i just laughed.

AZblaster44
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Speaking of packages... Pappy did you ever get that box of shirts from a while back? reading this reminded me that i never followed up after they shipped:)

SRH
03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
when i shipped my frame i took out like 3k for insurance, id make out like a bandit for the exta 15 bucks

Pappy
03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by AZblaster44
Speaking of packages... Pappy did you ever get that box of shirts from a while back? reading this reminded me that i never followed up after they shipped:)

sure did, i will take them to dan as soon as spring hits

Aceman
03-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by SRH
when i shipped my frame i took out like 3k for insurance, id make out like a bandit for the exta 15 bucks

No kidding, I bet you were praying they'd lose it.:devil:

arego
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Exactly. And ups does what it can. I know the hub by me if you are caught mishandeling packages you are gone. Still, i agree that many people dont treat packages like they should be.

when I worked there it was union, still is I think, and package handlers did what they wanted cause all that happened was a transfer to another dept..

the motto was you can only get fired if you kill somebody...

PolarisRider06
03-08-2007, 09:17 PM
a guy i work for off and on that builds and drives drag cars wont ship UPS anymore... not because they lost anything but because they support a Toyota NASCAR team.... lol...

i personally haven't had any problems with getting anything i've ever ordered (mostly all UPS). and my parents sell some stuff on E-bay and they just ship everything with regular USPS priority mail and we just run it in to the post office

Ralph
03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by PolarisRider06
a guy i work for off and on that builds and drives drag cars wont ship UPS anymore... not because they lost anything but because they support a Toyota NASCAR team.... lol...

i personally haven't had any problems with getting anything i've ever ordered (mostly all UPS). and my parents sell some stuff on E-bay and they just ship everything with regular USPS priority mail and we just run it in to the post office

USPS is good, if you want no tracking abilities, terrible service, and you don't actually care when your package gets there.

metalmellinium
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah no doubt! You can get a tracking number but it cost money wtf? I had a carrier and brack plate shipped and it was lost! Worth 260 i think never saw it again or the money!

USPS is good, if you want no tracking abilities, terrible service, and you don't actually care when your package gets there.

Ralph
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by metalmellinium
Yeah no doubt! You can get a tracking number but it cost money wtf? I had a carrier and brack plate shipped and it was lost! Worth 260 i think never saw it again or the money!

Yeah and USPS tracking service will tell you one of two things. "it got there" or "its not there yet"

Ups tells me exactly where it is and then send me the signature of the guy who signed for it.

Owned.

Kickstarts-suck
03-09-2007, 12:59 AM
DHL sent my MO with alot of money worth to the wrong house. After tracking it on the computer it said it was delivered so we had to go house to house looking for it:mad:

I use Fedex alot because my dad works there and ive never had a problem.

USPS is good too.

chad502ex
03-09-2007, 06:43 AM
I have to agree with Pappy. One lost package is too many....

I see it as paying a 'company' to deliver an egg- that egg better arrive on time without a crack.. its not rocket science, no need for tracking, just requires a delivery promise from the shipping company saying the egg will make it there before its scrambled...

insurance- didn't work for me when I shipped an engine across country and it got damaged in transit.. big waste unless the contents was packaged to shipping guidelines...

Ralph
03-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
I have to agree with Pappy. One lost package is too many....

I see it as paying a 'company' to deliver an egg- that egg better arrive on time without a crack.. its not rocket science, no need for tracking, just requires a delivery promise from the shipping company saying the egg will make it there before its scrambled...

insurance- didn't work for me when I shipped an engine across country and it got damaged in transit.. big waste unless the contents was packaged to shipping guidelines...

Ive packed all things imaginable. An engine is not an easy thing to pack and if its not done right i would expect it to break. I have flat out told customers "This will break if you dont let me repack it". they usualy dont believe me and it ends up breaking and then they complain.

Nothing against u but you really need to pack very carefully. Follow the guidelines.

Usualy for things like engines its gonna be better to go with a freight company. You end up paying out the *** with ups when for the same money you can get it boxed and crated.