PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle license

QuadRacer18
03-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know what steps id have to go through to get a motorcycle license in PA. Im 18 and looking into buying a CBR600. Also what do you guys think basic coverage would be for a used bike under my parents name monthly? thanks alot.

CRich[814]
03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
its cheap. i think my bro's paid like $60 a month, but im not 100% sure. you SHOULD take a saftey course, then take the test. its like a two day course on old kawi 125 street bikes.

54warrior
03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
$60/ month seems really cheap to me.

Yes, it is a 2 day course on the bikes.

I searched the PennDOT site and got this, should provide all the info that you need:

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/specializedDriverCenter/motorcycleDrivers.shtml

Good Luck!

Regular_Joe
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
First off be safe.

Defiantely take that course. I took it w/ an old girlfriend even though I had my license for 10 years and had an 03 F4i at the time. They give you the bikes and do drills and stuff. They have you bomb into a corner and then panic stop. The have you bomb at the instructor and then panic stop, or swerve left or right depending on his arm movements. They throw a 2x4 out there and have you hit it. Lots of good info and the class is pretty good.

Overall for me it was a good refresher. Plus I learned an ENORMOUS amount of information and techniques about how to teach people to ride. I have taken that knowledge and applied it to a lot of things. Now I tought my fiance to ride and she got her license within 2 months. Plus on the ATVs she's popping wheelies and everything.

For an 03 F4i, full coverage, 26 yrs old, had my license for 10 years, my bill was $700 yr ($60 month). For the most part, State Farm is the place to go for cheap rates. But most likely you will have to have a car there too (proves this is a seconday vehicle). Now that I am 29, with my car, house, and 2 bikes on there its down to $250 yr ... woowoo. But again the house and age prove you being more mature and the car + bikes prove its not your primary mode of transportation.

Regular_Joe
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Forgot to mention.

In NY that MSF course is $400 and on the last day you take a 10 minute riding test. If you pass they send you a card that you take to the DMV. This gets you your license w/o taking a road test. If you do happen to fail, you can come to future classes, and just show up to take that test at the end of the last day.

Last I knew this class is free or close to it in PA.

Also the classes fill up fast. I would start trying to get in them now. By this spring it will be too late and they will be booked way into the fall.

deathman53
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I got my motorcylce licence from Rider Ed, in Nj. You take one night of schooling, practice riding the next day, more school, short lesson and test on sunday. The teach you alot of stuff(that the drivers manauls doesn't). My insurance is $90 for one bike and $130 for another for the year, however they are plated dirtbikes.

GPracer2500
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
My guess is that insurance on a CBR600 for an 18 year old will be $2000 per year. Some companies won't even offer a policy or will quote something outragous like $500 per month. As you get older it will go down. When I hit 25 my rates were cut in half. Being married helps a lot too.

I've always used State Farm.

CDCHONDAS
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
pa changed, you used to be able to go get a permit at a notary/title/tag place now you have to go to the place you got your regular liscense and take a test for a permit. then have it for awhile then get your liscense, alot of people around here take dual sport bikes and stuff cuz they think that a cruiser or crotchrocket will not do the figure 8. i have demonstrated on different bikes that it is possible, just get good at riding.

Punk'd
03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
What is the best way in learning how to ride a bike without taking the class? and excatly how hard is the driving part of this test? What would be some good things to practice before going to take it?

Sorry so many questions:D

Thanks!

Regular_Joe
03-08-2007, 03:42 AM
In NY the road test the DMV gives you works like this. You have to have someone w/ a motorcycle lisence follow you there or trailer your bike. Once you get there the guy tells you to go 2 blocks, take a left and then pull over. He then gets in the car (your friend drives) and follows you. Then he gives you more directions, and he follows again. At some point he will make you do 2 circles each direction and 2 figure 8's too. All this has to be done w/o touching your feet to the ground. For me it was on an easy side street. For my fiance it was on a side street covered in gravel. It was bad. I was just waiting for her to go down, but she made it and was a trooper. Obviously the guy didn't ride or he would have picked somewhere else. No biker would have picked that spot to do maneuvers like that.

yellow400ex05
03-08-2007, 04:01 AM
is there a site where you can check how much insurance would be on certain vehicles at a certain age?

GPracer2500
03-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
is there a site where you can check how much insurance would be on certain vehicles at a certain age?

Just call your (or any) insurance company. Give them a specific bike model and they should be able to tell you over the phone what your gonna be looking at. Call around--you'll find the rates vary substantially company to company.

I think I remember Progressive advertising on-line quotes [shrug].