PDA

View Full Version : wont start

mod440ex
03-07-2007, 09:21 AM
My question; I had to replace my valve cover gasket so i washed my quad at the car wash. I let it set in the back of my truck all night, and it got pretty cold. I took it to work with me to show a friend the new shocks and exhaust i put on, tried to fire it up, still cold outside. it cranked for a little bit then backfired. After it backfired it started cranking over funny, and almost acted like it didnt have any compression. When i got home i tried to see if i could see anything wrong. pulled the valve cover off and eveyting looked ok, cam chain was tight and valves where still adjusted coerrect. pulled the plug off and there was some ice inside the chamber. called my dad and he said i might have a piece of ice holding a valve open so i put it next to a heater for 45min. put it back together and still sounds funny. it feels like i have compression ,but when i crank it over the starter and one way bearing sounds different, so pulled the flywheel cver off and evything seems to be tight.I checked the flywheel key and its not sheared. I am lost, anybody with some info would sure help me out alot.

steve181
03-08-2007, 08:41 AM
What kind of gas are u running?

shleprock
03-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I woud drain the oil to be safe if there was ice in the motor then theres definitly water in there now, that will hurt you i really dont know why or what is the problem but water is deffinetly a problem

mod440ex
03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
i am running 100low lead. I got it to run and i think is what it was was a piece of carbon holding a valve open(it been running really rich). I did a compression test and it went back to normal.

jonboy
03-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Why are you running a leaded fuel? The engine is designed to run on Unleaded. Lead will definately cause some buildup issues in your motor. I would definately switch to premium unleaded gas. :confused:

GPracer2500
03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jonboy
Why are you running a leaded fuel? The engine is designed to run on Unleaded. Lead will definately cause some buildup issues in your motor. I would definately switch to premium unleaded gas. :confused:

Not true. Besides increasing octane rating, lead has lubrication benefits. Most racing fuels are leaded.

mod440ex
03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
pluss it helps keep your valves cool.

steve181
03-11-2007, 09:20 PM
u definitly got a water problem. Drain oil like rock said Put a new oil filter/ oil and get some 93 unleaded gas instead of the gas ur useing now and that should solve ur problem my friend just had to do the same wit his 400ex

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02 440ex
Fullbore plastic
440 wisco 11:1
Razor2 front and rear tires
lonestar axel 4"
Hiper carbon fiber beed lock wheels
full curtis sparks exhaust
Ac front bumper/ nerfbars
Elka shocks