PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler for 300EX

MeatHead
10-03-2002, 07:46 PM
I tried to do a search for 300EX oil coolers, but the search does not seem to be working on the site right now. So I will go ahead and ask this question. What are the options for oil coolers for a 300EX, and who sells them. I know jagg has an oil cooler kit. But I can't find anyone other than the dealer that sells them. I know someone has to have them cheaper. But the real question is what are the other options, and how well do they hold up. I noticed that my 300EX runs on the hot side, as well as uses a lot of gas. So I think I could greatly benefit from an oil cooler. Any help would be appretiated.

Thanks

HotRod2Fitty
10-03-2002, 08:04 PM
I wondered the same thing, because im gettin the 330 kit for my x this winter and know it runs hot stock. So i went ahead and ordered the oil cooler from four stroke tech.
go to www.fourstroketech.com and email them.
They should be able to tell you all you need to know about the oil cooler kit.

Matt:D

HotRod2Fitty
10-03-2002, 08:06 PM
Hey dude sorry i forgot to say that the kit from four stroke tech cost only 95 bucks. Thats cheap compared to the jagg.

Matt

Rastus
10-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Yep, only 95 bucks, but you have to drill and tap your cases to fit the fittings to add the cooler. For some reason, Honda made those funky Oil Bolts that have the funny thread. Why dont they use something much easier? I dunno, but thats my only gripe.

I added one to my X, and it seems to help it run better, and cooler which creates more constant power.

lansing400ex
10-03-2002, 08:15 PM
I used to have a 98 300EX before my 400. I cut the line running from the block to the top of the head on the right side of the motor with a tubing cutter. I bought the smallest automotive trans cooler I could find and hooked the lines up on the tube ends. The cooler fit nicely laying against the frame between the front shocks. I put foam insulating tape on the frame where the cooler touched and zip tyed it on with heavy duty zip ties. I also loosened the bolts holding the oil lines to point them forward towards the cooler and tightend them back up. The 3/8 hose I think it was that came with the cooler slipped over the lines. It was a loose fit so I double hose clamped each one. I spent $32.00 on this modification and rode the bike this way for two years with no problems. When I traded it in at the honda dealer the staff commented on the cooler I added. I just did a similar set up on my 400EX but connected the lines mimicking the FST cooler connections. You can see the cooler in the photo. So grab $40.00 and head for an auto parts store and don't forget your oil capacity will be more.