PDA

View Full Version : Moms - Help

Logan #34's Dad
03-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Well, I'm having a hard time getting the wifey-poo to accept her little 8yo son racing again. A little backround first - Near the end of July my son had a serious crash that left him with a broken Femur bone. I blame a poor track (pee-wee track - narrow) that was cut into the side of a hill. Anyhow, he is all healed up and is really wanting to ride again. So the past weekend I took him to a local indoor event and he ran great. I asked him afterwards if HE still wanted to race and HE said "oh yeah!" So back to my issue: I need to get momma on board. She is dead set against it. She says she never wants to see him in that kind of pain ever again. Her main arguement is that she wants him to play "traditional" sports. She says he will never get anywhere with racing but will with "regular" sports. He is a great little youth wrestler. Brag :p and I think she sees that as safe. Which I've seen injuries with that too but that is not a good enough excuse. SO if any of you motorcross MOMS have anything I could say to help her come to our side I would love to hear it.
Thank You.

Livin4Real
03-07-2007, 03:33 AM
Not a mom but live with one :) There are plenty of statistics out there that support the fact that everyday sports such as basketball, football, soccer, etc. are just as/if not more dangerous than racing. Brandon broke his arm at the end of last season, not racing mind you, on his skateboard :huh It's been proven time and time again that you can get hurt doing anything at anytime. Every time you set foot in your car you are taking the biggest risk of all, with car crashes being the leading cause of injuries/deaths in the U.S. Now with all that said do I still worry about my son racing, sure, as does my wife but after getting her out to more and more races and seeing how much fun Brandon has doing it and seeing him hop right back up after a couple good crashes and get back on she realized it wasn't such a bad thing after all. And knowing all the gear that is available to kids today to help protect them, eases her worries even more. I never force my kid to do something he doesn't feel comfortable with and I think that helps a lot. There are too many parents out there telling there kids they HAVE to do this jump etc. , thats when kids get hurt doing something they aren't comfortable with and are already beaten mentally. It's possible to have fun and still be competitive and that's how racing should be taken. The last thing I do before the gate drops is tell Brandon to ride hard and I love him and give him a rap on the helmet :)

cwjr
03-07-2007, 06:01 AM
My daughter has had 4 broken bones and she is only 6...3 breaks are from gymnastics and 1 break is from racing....Its all dangerous.

etondaddy
03-07-2007, 06:34 AM
I agree with living4real some parents try to tell there kids what to jump………..that’s crazy I’ve heard Kyle and some of his race buddies in our trailer talking, I’ve heard stuff like my dad told me I better start doing one jump or a another, and the best thing was one day Kyle told his buddy my dad says it’s up to me. I let him come to me with a jump he’s thinking about, and before he tries it he knows the routine we get as close to it as we can every other quad class and we watch and we talk about. And I leave it at that. Some he has eventuality tried and some never came up again. At the start line we do the same thing, clean on the two, I tap him on the helmet and side and tell him ride hard and smart. The best part for me is when that one card goes sideways and watch his head turn down to the gate, I get that feeling in chest. Do my wife and I worry……… sure we worry, you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t worry. Some times they can scare the crap out of you. But when you walk back to your pit and you can here him forty feet away talking about the moto with his buddies and he sees you and comes running with that big smile on his face all the worries go away. Sorry for rambling if anyone still reading?

mxdad423
03-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Yea I agree with everybody, Yes racing is dangerous but so is any other sport these kids play heck anymore it is dangerous to just walk out side or even worst its dangerous sending your kids to school or on a school bus. My son is going on his third year of racing, he is 9. he has had one broken bone (his ankle) and guess what it didn't happen on the quad or at the race it happened in the back yard playing football. Again not saying it's not dangerous but so is everything else, I always said that you can't lock your kids in a closet because you don't want them to get hurt. I get butterflies in my stomach everytime we are at the line but I would have those same butterflies watching him wrestleing or playing football thats what it is being a parent. Like a couple of the other guys, at the line after I clean him out I give him a pat on the side, a kiss on the top of the helment, tell him good luck and that I love him. I do sometimes tell him to try this jump or that jump but he also does it on his own, I tell him if he's not comfortable don't do it, but I do think it helps to encorage them a bit on some things but it is a fine line of what to and not to. I know when I raced I hated when somebody told me to try something but there are many things I would of never tried that was very doable without that little bit of encouragement, but again it is a fine line. Hope that helps out and good luck with the better half, I went throught the same thing, Mom's are a little harder to convince.

QuadJunkies
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I dont have much more to say as a Mom either that hasnt already been said.
Moms are born to be "worry warts" over there kids. I simply love to watch my kids race and yet in the same breath its scares the hell out of me .If you ever see videos of my kids ,almost all of them have camera shake in them from nervs!:p
I personally have lost a child, so I think I tend to even worry a little more than some at times.Thats just something Ill live with until the day I die Im sure.

The odds are there in any sport someone participates in .

Maybe if she reads this .... I totally respect any parents decicion for why they allow what they allow,after all.. we love our kids and want whats best for them....

But life is about living-correct?We all need to do what makes us happy, makes us alive..seeing my kids light up with joy when they are racing or just out doing some family riding assures me each day that we made the right decicions

If your kids are competitive in ANYTHING sport they are at some point most likely going ot get hurt.

Give her some time and I bet she will come around ;) She just wants whats best for her Sonand to protect him from harm.

Rekd
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Go buy a plastic bubble and one of those "special" helmets. Have your kid wear the helmet every day and stay in the bubble. No school, no dinner table, no nuthin. Life's too short to be an active, healthy kid.

Rekd
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
If you ever see videos of my kids

No, that site doesn't allow anything but IE and I don't use IE. Would love to see the videos, though. Perhaps neptune ISN'T the "best place to share you videos" :cool:

QuadJunkies
03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Rekd
No, that site doesn't allow anything but IE and I don't use IE. Would love to see the videos, though. Perhaps neptune ISN'T the "best place to share you videos" :cool:

LOl well I also have alot of them here:p

Maybe I should put that in my sig:chinese:

Thers a ton of stuff there thats not just my kids as well
http://www.putfile.com/quaadjunkies/media
This is the most current vid
http://media.putfile.com/Kelsey--Brandons-Dedication-video

My sons wreck is in there too :scary:
For what I pay for a GIGon neptune, I cant see making the switch at this point.

motoxgirl419
03-07-2007, 01:48 PM
When we first bought my daughter he quad, we didn't have any intentions on racing it. We bought it for her to ride and have fun when her dad and grandpa went out riding. Then some friends of her, they know who they are, told her she should race it at a local fair race. Omg, did she have a blast. She got 2nd in the stick class, and was only 7 I think. Anyways, I was a worry wort. I really didn't like the fact of her racing it and would never let me eyes off of her.
Now..... I love watching her. I still get nervous and wanna puke everytime she is on the line. But I don't show that to her. We enjoy the sport, and all the little extras it has to offer.
Sure, it's not a sport most kids are going to follow through with as they get older. But, do they enjoy it, and are they having fun? I think that is what it's all about. My daughter was playing soccer at the time, as well, and pretty much gave that up to race. We were racing every weekend and wasnt able to attend the games. She had to chose between what sport she wanted to do. She chose motocross, of course.
Being a mom is a hard thing to do in this sport. We automatically wanna protect our kids from harm. But we can't. We have to let them experience life.

czrider263
03-07-2007, 02:16 PM
My mom gets scared when i race. I think it was from my bad crash at dutchmann. I didn't break anything but people say it looked really bad. My mom just drinks a beer and goes along with it.

etondaddy
03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Kyle also gave up soccer witch he loved for racing.

Livin4Real
03-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by czrider263
My mom just drinks a beer and goes along with it.

LMAO :p

QuadJunkies
03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by czrider263
My mom gets scared when i race. I think it was from my bad crash at dutchmann. I didn't break anything but people say it looked really bad. My mom just drinks a beer and goes along with it.
LOL! Maybe thats what I need to do :p

Reimer Racing
03-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Now that's what I like a bunch of Mommys drinking bevies in the pits. Let the beer drinking games begin.

Rock give her 50 bucks tell her there is a 50% off sale at the mall Sun and meet us at NEMX Sunday!!!

Logan #34's Dad
03-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Hey Mr. Reimer, I'm working on the whole NEMX thing. We might just show up! My friend borrowed my rear pulley so I'll have to use an old one that is different. I kind of want to test my "different" set-up anyhow to see if it will work. Later!

Reimer Racing
03-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Shouldn't you be working;)

Rekd
03-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
LOl well I also have alot of them here:p

Maybe I should put that in my sig:chinese:

Thers a ton of stuff there thats not just my kids as well
http://www.putfile.com/quaadjunkies/media
This is the most current vid
http://media.putfile.com/Kelsey--Brandons-Dedication-video

My sons wreck is in there too :scary:
For what I pay for a GIGon neptune, I cant see making the switch at this point.

Nice videos. What do you use to edit them?

Your son's wreck looks scary.

QuadJunkies
03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Rekd
Nice videos. What do you use to edit them?

Your son's wreck looks scary.

I use a couple of dif. programs but alot of those were done just using windows movie maker.
I need to find a simple editing program that allows layering for video and Audio.
I even tried my Adobe program to do that and it doenst seem to have that option :confused:
yeah, when he hit the wall and just laid there it freaked me out abit.:scary:

CrackerboyLV
03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm not a mom, but I'll post her opinion.

My oldest son (8 yrs) has had 3 staples in his head, three stiches in his chin and a broken collarbone so far this year.

Despite numerous crashes at various tracks, NONE of these injuries happened while riding an ATV. Instead they were caused by a trampoline, a shower, and riding his bicycle in the driveway (wearing full gear including a chest protector)

Even if we took away his trampoline and bicycle, he is still going to take showers...

The bottom line is, we cannot determine what is going to happen to our children. They will get hurt no matter what activity they participate in. Luckily they heal fast, and he is doing something he loves with the whole family.