PDA

View Full Version : help needed with cam chain

slick7108514
03-07-2007, 01:33 AM
i was installing my hrc kit today and when i was installing the cam i was unable to get one of the bolts for the cam chain tensioner out because it was rounded out. i proceeded with the cam install and now I am trying to put the cam chain back on to the new cam. however the chain is too tight and will not go over the cam...its only about 1/4 " away from going on to the cam. does anyone have any good ideas on how to get the cam chain up on to the cam or how to get a rounded bolt out? of course the bolt happens to be the bottom bolt on the chain tensioner so its near impossible to get any sort of hammer or screw driver or ratchet on to it. i was thinking of possibly buying a 7mm wrench and trying to pry it on there thinking that it might bite better since the bolt is a 8mm bolt. i'm not 100% positive i even need the cam tensioner off to get the cam chain on to the cam, but i figured this was the problem. if anyone has any good ideas i would really appreciate it....i am supposed to go to the dunes this weekend so i realllllllly hope i can get this figured out before then.

QuadRacer041
03-07-2007, 04:00 AM
what bolt are you talking about? the top middle or bottom? the only one you need to remove to remove chain tension is the middle one. then there is a special tool to loosen the screw inside there.

QuadRacer041
03-07-2007, 04:01 AM
you should be able to get a visegrip on anyone of the 3 bolts to get it out then just go to honda and get a new one.

03-07-2007, 06:52 AM
As far as I know you can't get the chain on without taking the gear off.

lumi
03-07-2007, 07:34 AM
on the tensioner, u either take the top and bottom bolts off, or u take the midlle bolt off and u unscrew it with a smalll flat head to release tension in the mechansim

-lumi

400exrider707
03-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
As far as I know you can't get the chain on without taking the gear off.

I was under the same impression

4bidden
03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
As Lumi said, all you need to do is take off the black bolt from the end of the tensioner, then put a thin flathead screwdriver in and turn it to release the tension. This will make it a 2 person job because you'll have to hold the screwdriver.

Also, as stated, you'll need to remove the cam gear and put it "on" the chain, then "on" the cam to make things a lot easier.

slick7108514
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
yah i thought that there might be a way to unscrew the tensioner...i will take a flat head screwdriver to it tonight and see if i can get the tensioner to pop back. thanks for the help guys...ill let u know tonight if it worked.

4bidden
03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Just noticed you're in Tempe. You can find a lot of local help on www.atvdistrict.com I just started it, so naturally the local guys are the first ones to join! :)