PDA

View Full Version : 2007 DRR Limited in the shop, GNCC testing at rd#2

Pappy
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, as much as I hate to dive back into a mini quad, we felt we did not have much of a choice. For one, Cody would be very limited locally as to being able to race his 300ex, two, he is still so short he cant lift the 300ex off the ground. This could be a real issue 8 miles from help during a GNCC.

So, after letting him race the opening round in Florida on his 300ex (pretty confident he would not have any issues with the track) we have decided to go after some wins back in the 90 Production class. I made a few calls, watched intently at the race and had it narrowed down to either a Apex or a DRR. After contacting DRR from somewhere on I-95, we now have a black 07 Limited 90 here.

We just finished assembling the unit and although we could not do much of a test ride tonight, are pretty satisfied with it out of the crate. I geuss the best way to describe it is a mini that has the most popular mods done or included from DRR. Oil tank removed, kill switch installed (which is not working and will need to be fixed) AC Nerfs, Uni filter and MX tires and wheels, along with a different head and exhaust. The clutch has been modded also.

The next round for us is saturday in Georgia, and Cody has his sights set on the podium. A Hetricks air box is on order, and hopefully I can get it modified and installed prior to the race.

I will keep this thread updated on his progress, on how well the DRR is doing, and a follow along as I tear it down for gusset work and some new colors.

wvspeedfreak
03-06-2007, 08:10 PM
You made a wise choice with the DRR Kenny.

etondaddy
03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Yea if I wasn’t up to my a@@ in E-Ton…………….. DRR. It wasn’t supposed to be this way I had his 70 engine sold for enough to get a 90 engine, that was a wash……… misc no more than a grand we were racing the 90 class………… but then something went bad wrong…. I quit counting at five grand. But o well he loves his E-Ton he’s raced them for five years now. I was just thinking the only thing I think is from the stock quad five years ago is the brake leavers. LOL

QuadJunkies
03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Great choice!
We just finished up our build on Brandons and hes testing his Long travel setup this wk end and will be racing round 4 of WORCs on his .

Congrats and I hope he enjoys it!

cwjr
03-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Pappy, come find find us at "the General" and we will compare our DRR's. Charlie is #44 and Sadie is #66. Both are red and race in the 70 prod. class.

Pappy
03-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by cwjr
Pappy, come find find us at "the General" and we will compare our DRR's. Charlie is #44 and Sadie is #66. Both are red and race in the 70 prod. class.

I saw them at the Florida round, Welch correct?

cwjr
03-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Correct!!!Thanks for the pictures.

Pappy
03-08-2007, 03:48 PM
OK, had the quad here for a few days now, but thanks to 8 inches of snow tuesday morning no seat time.

Hetricks XC airbox arrived, and I knew going in that it was not designed to fit the new DRR, but it IS installed and ready for the GNCC race. Had to trim a corner of the clutch side fender mount, and added 2 zip ties to secure it, but the fenders themselves hold it snug enough to keep it from moving. A trim was needed to shorten the air tube to make it fit correctly, but thats it.

So far, the only issue we have had was with the factory kill switch. The scotch lock they used to tap into the coil wire was not fully seated and prevented the switch from working. It works now.

First impressions are that for the $$, this is miles above any other stock mini we have had.

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Lets see, pack up an unriden and untested mini, drive 11 hours and put it on the front row of the GNCC 90 Mod class.....

That is exactly what we did. With the addition of a Hetricks airbox, the quad was as shipped from DRR. We did not even have time to adjust the stock shocks! After the race I asked Cody about the DRR and here is what he had to say....

"It handles great, steers fine and although the shocks were soft they did not do bad. It has decent acceleration in the woods but needs more power for the starts and long field sections"

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I swapped out the supplied Maxxis Razor front tires for some Holeshots for better performance in the mud.

At the start, Cody was towards the back of mid pack going into turn one, but made up a few spots pulling out of the first and second turns

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I had a set of ITP 18 inch rear tires, but I did not know how the quad would react to the taller and wider tire and figured I had better not push my luck seeing we would get no chance to test it prior to the race

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I geuss using Codys finish in the race really is and isnt a fair representation of how well this out of the box racer compares. With no real ride time, the first and second lap was more of a "get the feel" ride then all out racing. Coming off a 300ex, it took a few laps for our rider to snap back into the mini.

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:10 PM
He managed to finish 14th out of 21 in a class full of all out BUILT machines in XC conditions with NO prep. Id say that merely finishing was a good goal. Using his race time, that was good enough to take 3rd in the Limited class, which is where this quad in stock trim should be raced.

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
A few thing we did notice, chain was to tight and is adjusted as loose as we can get it, and its still tight after the hour long race.

An aftermarket CDI has been recommended to wake up the engine and this could be a big advantage over the stock set up.

Cody said aftermarket shocks probably are not needed for XC and mild MX, he weighs 115 fully geared up

A rear foot brake lever would be a welcome addition

All in all it did fairly well in my eyes, and we look forward to seeing what we can do with the DRR

After the race, you can see just how muddy these events can be

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Id like to also see the rear brake caliper mounted higher up to prevent it from getting smashed and damaged

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
A shorter silencer is also a must

Prior to the race....

Pappy
03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
And after the race.......

cwjr
03-12-2007, 07:28 AM
My daughter Sadie had about 1 hr on her 70 DRR before the season started and she has finished each race with no problems. All we have done is changed the carb, but we are going to do alot before NC...My son Charlie Had a great day at the general and pulled off the victory on his DRR.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
they are working on a rear foot brake as we speak, I made a suggestion on making some type of bracket or guard to protect the rear caliper which sounds like they are looking into it and also mentioned the silencer being to long but they didn't have a comment or really want to change.

Pappy
03-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Colby, and I will be looking for the new pipe and silencer and hope it makes up some of the difference we are looking for.

I am not sure if the pipe that comes with this model has any value, but I reckon I will post it up for sale

BradLoomis
03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
The pipe is a Koso pipe, so it does have a good resale value. The Koso pipe lacks the "bottom end" power band of a Hetrick or WRH pipe... but does expand the "top end" power higher than either by quite a bit.

ExtrememiniquadsNW has a bolt on footbrake that will still be Nat'ls legal for any miniquad that has a factory or retro rear brake. The only photos I have are of when I was mocking it up.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p39d6cfe23a3864b0ebc2138ceb735b95/ea56e435.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p0e799cf0b4870d60abe822d7f24889d1/ea56e3e1.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p34e97890ded9d964b5b644c963b93e5b/ea56e41c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p547e5faf5443c4fb7f12112e21298f58/ea56e3c6.jpg

GNCC GROVE
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Do you need to do much fabricating to make this work? who sell's it?

BradLoomis
03-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Drill and tap one hole at the top of the mount of the Swing arm mount.
Extrememiniquadsnw.com

Steven623
03-13-2007, 06:38 AM
The foot operated rear brake is pretty neat, but not sure if it will be legal to run in the stock/limited 50cc class??

GNCC GROVE
03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
so where can i order this?

BradLoomis
03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
www.extrememiniquadsnw.com

austinm400
03-15-2007, 06:28 PM
[i]Originally posted by Steven623 [/i
The foot operated rear brake is pretty neat, but not sure if it will be legal to run in the stock/limited 50cc class??

Does anyone know if its legal or not cause I fabed one for my little guys drx50 and plan on doing the district 6 races. I don't have any pics of mine but I used z400 parts and put the resivior under the seat. Looks real nice.

Pappy
03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
After a few days of chatting with folks about the Georgia GNCC, I got to checking out the DRR to see what was keeping it from being the little ripper I thought it should be.

I received the rev box tonight and quickly installed it. Cody threw on some gear and took it for a spin, and while he said that it seemed to do a little better, it still was not fast:ermm:

Back in the shop. I started thinking of something a few of my friends had reported to me about cody during the race, how he seemed to be full throttle and just sitting on the seat:confused: That doesnt even sound like cody and being in the woods I knew he should have been flying. Suddenly, I had a thought.....that damn throttle limiting screw:eek: It was WAY out so I assumed it was not an issue, but when I removed it, the screw was only showing 1/2 of itself:grr:

Back out for another ride. Same results, except this time he reported to me that above 3/4 throttle it was falling on its face:confused: LEAN condition!

So a call was made to my friend who just lives for these mini quads and loves it even more when I need his assistance(he is my go to guy for life...lol) We discussed the Hetricks airbox and figured we had better try reinstalling the stock filter and starting from there.

So, stock pod filter reinstalled, new rev box, and the limiter screw fully removed Cody rolled back outside for one more stab at this thing.

Hauls MAJOR ***!

Cody said it will be a few days before he talks to me seeing he ran a National with half throttle:( But before he started his silent treatment, he did smile and winked as he said Steel Creek should be another story:cool:

GNCC GROVE
03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Oop's can't catch everything all the time. Nothing like being rushed after Fl. & before Ga., then there's the snow that showed up. I look forward to hearing about NC.

Pappy
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by GNCC GROVE
Oop's can't catch everything all the time. Nothing like being rushed after Fl. & before Ga., then there's the snow that showed up. I look forward to hearing about NC.

I know, rush rush rush:p

I will rejet for the hetricks airbox and we should be good to go!

ewathen
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Pappy,

why do you have the quad listed for sale in the for sale section?

Pappy
03-16-2007, 07:49 PM
we just picked up a huge sponsorship from Robbs Racing and are building a TRX90 for the rest of the season

ewathen
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
cool!

good luck!

Pappy
03-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Just returned from the GNCC at Steele Creek, where we ran the DRR. Changes made were to jet for the hetricks airbox and simple maintainence.

A bad start left Cody in the back heading into the woods, but he worked his way up to 12th at the end of the first lap. He sucked some water on lap two but it cleared out after a mile or so. Lap traffic held him and others up at a huge downhill each lap, but he charged extremely hard and worked his way to 6th with 2 laps to go. A tangle with another rider and a tree dropped him from 5th to 12th on the white flag lap had him finish the day in 10th overall against some seriously built machines!

looking at his lap times, he was as fast and faster on many laps then the leader, who was on a cobra 90. I think the DRR could hang with just about anything with a few tweaks to what you get with the base limited model!

Pappy
03-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I was very surprised to see how well the DRR did against the Cobra of codys friend, Kyle Riley. They battled for laps and it came down to good old fashioned racing as the machines appeared very equal!

Pappy
03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Cody rode very well, and the 10th place finish is testament to how well this little quad handles and runs with no real attempt to make it faster!

GNCC GROVE
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Good job!:D

AFROracing
03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
good news for DRR owners!

riding4fun
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
A few thing we did notice, chain was to tight and is adjusted as loose as we can get it, and its still tight after the hour long race.

An aftermarket CDI has been recommended to wake up the engine and this could be a big advantage over the stock set up.

Cody said aftermarket shocks probably are not needed for XC and mild MX, he weighs 115 fully geared up

A rear foot brake lever would be a welcome addition

All in all it did fairly well in my eyes, and we look forward to seeing what we can do with the DRR

After the race, you can see just how muddy these events can be

Pappy,

Did the chain ever loosen up or did you have to add a link? Mine is still super tight.

Darrell

Andyman17dad
04-03-2007, 07:18 AM
We just got a new DRX90 ltd and seemes to have all the same issues.

-Chain very tight (though that did loosen up some after racing it this weekend)

-Tether did not work (replaced the splice connector)

-throttle limiter screw was way in (but looked like it was out far enough)

-front brakes didn't work ("primed" themselves up by just squeezing the lever a few times)

It seemed to run pretty decent, but definatly seemed like it was lacking a little "snap". Off the gate it was burning the tires, then went kinda flat.
I did not see any clip on the CDI and was wondering if there is any way to tell by looking at it, if it is the high-rev box or not. I thought that the 90 ltd. was supposed to come with that box??

It was kinda tough tho get a really good comparison of it since Andy only rode this for about an hour sat. before racing it on sun.

All-in-all, I think it will be a pretty nice bike and I hope we have as good luck with it as we did the 50 last year!

Nichols Atvs
04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
The 90 ltd does come with the unlimited rev box . Did you or Rob rejet the carb that might be and issue and you also may need to dail in you cluches they did mods to that as well. stupid clips if you dont line them up or crimp they just right the mess every thing up.

Andyman17dad
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I didn't do anything to it yet, just got it last week. It will be going up to Robb's Racing Engines tomorrow!!! Just wanted to get as much "insight" as possible.

Pappy
04-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Pappy,

Did the chain ever loosen up or did you have to add a link? Mine is still super tight.

Darrell

yes, after TWO races it is now where it needs to be!

Pappy
04-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
The 90 ltd does come with the unlimited rev box .

Ours did not come with an unlimited rev box, it is a stock unit just like what is found on the polaris 90.

Nichols Atvs
04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
It should have been the unlimited box I was told it was coming on the 90 Ltd . Did you get the 90 LTD or the DRX II 90 the one with out all the mods in which you do not get it .You have to order it with unlimited box to get it on the reg 90.

Pappy
04-04-2007, 12:11 PM
reciept from drr stated 90 Limited, and this si not the first one i have seen with this cdi. maybe a running change for them, but the unit i have is stock

Andyman17dad
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Is there any way to tell the difference by looking at them??

I am also thinking that mine is NOT the new "redesigned" frame. The upper a-arm bracket makes it barely possible to check the spark plug, let alone remove the top end.

Nichols Atvs
04-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Just found out that they have new cid boxes if you remove the clip then its unlimited rev box ,This was a change over from original where you put in a new cdi now there is no need.
I called DRR .

Pappy
04-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Just found out that they have new cid boxes if you remove the clip then its unlimited rev box ,This was a change over from original where you put in a new cdi now there is no need.
I called DRR .

if you have to remove the small clip to remove the factory set rev limiter, that does NOT make it an unlimited cdi. it will still require an aftermarket cdi to have the bettre ignition curve and true unlimited rev capability. been there done that on the this DRR and a few Polaris 90's(same wiring set up)

HH8
04-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Pappy do you still have yours for sale or is it sold?

Pappy
04-05-2007, 08:06 PM
i still have it, but it appears we will have to run it at one more gncc as the new quad wont be done until the following week. im pretty impressed with it, other then maintence it hasnt really given us any problems, ofcourse there is only 2 hours on the quad but they were race conditions:p

if your interesteed let me know, you can take it home from big buck...lol

Nichols Atvs
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I was told instead of changing out the cdi box that they went to this set up when removing the clip it was was unlimited rev. The original was not unlimited when you took out the clip. im just stating what i was told. Im sure an aftermarket cdi is better .
Did you put in a new rev box and how is going if you did what one did you use malossi . Hows the new build coming any new pics.

Pappy
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
if drr told you that, then they are mistaken.

no real build up to do on this one, gas it and race it!

bulldogfallon
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Removing the clips does not provide unlimited rev....

Unlimited rev definately gives more top end....

Make sure you ask for the unlimited rev boxes when you order

Pappy
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
just finished going over the DRR and preparing to leave for the Big Buck GNCC.

after 2 gncc's, usual maintence is all it has needed thankfully. hopefully this round he can get a clean run and get on that podium on a stock quad:p

Pappy
04-14-2007, 09:43 PM
plan B:chinese:

forgiven
04-14-2007, 10:10 PM
What the heck did he hiT?

Pappy
04-14-2007, 11:15 PM
he took a bad bounce off a kicker in a field section(WFO) and from there he doesnt remember anything:( near as we can tell, the quad ate him as he went over the bars and continued on until it smacked a pole in the corner he was approaching.

i havent looked it over real well, but i will have to tear it down and repair the carnage.

cody suffered a concussion and a fractured elbow.

Pappy
04-14-2007, 11:17 PM
we havent decided on what is more tweaked, the nerf bar or his arm..haha

forgiven
04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow. Hopefully the mellon is OK! Tough to fix those.

bulldogfallon
04-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Good luck on the recovery....

etondaddy
04-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Same here..... get well soon from everyone here at KMK Motorsports.

Pappy
04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
a better pic of the destruction

Pappy
04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
this will sting a bit:p

flht_db
04-18-2007, 01:47 PM
The first pictures looked bad but with that bruising looks even worse.

Heal quick.

ecmini1
04-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Get well soon. Glad he was ok you can always fix the mini.