PDA

View Full Version : going from 39mm FCR up to? is it worth it?

02silverpile
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok, you can all look at my current setup. My question(s) are I am thinking of going to a hto cam stage 2. Would this gain me any HP or just top speed? Would it be benificial? I have a 39mm fcr carb now, would I gain anything by switching to like a 41mm or 42mm FCR? and is it even available. I know the new 450r's have 41mm but i think there is a tps wire or something. Obviously with more air being able to be pulled in i can supply more fuel, but that doesnt mean ill be able to make more hp. Any help is appreciatable. Thanks.

EXDUNER127
03-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Go with the cam, you should have had it already and your bike is not big enough for a bigger carb so you will not notice anything. i had the same motor with big valves and porting before i got my new bike

02silverpile
03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
ok, thanks for imput on the cam. If I dont get a bigger carb, would I at least see/feel a differnce or at least a big enough difference that I needed to rejet, if I took the airbox off, thus allowing the K&N to pull more air ( if the air was limited by the airbox)? I currently run a K&N with an outerwear and no airlid. Thanks.

PismoLocal
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Yep get the cam.

02silverpile
03-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Does anyone think there will be a difference in air intake if I take the airbox off?

ryanh250ex
03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 02silverpile
Does anyone think there will be a difference in air intake if I take the airbox off?

Yep.

I didn't want to spend the extra money to get a pod filter so I rigged up a velocity stack. It took me a while to figure out why my top end is so crappy, my stack is practically 6 inches long :eek2: . In the first 3 gears i do have some pretty crazy torque though.

Next time i mess with it i'm going to cut a good 3 inches off.

GPracer2500
03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Tuning a custom intake can be VERY hard without a dyno and a/f meter. Even with those tools and it can be a challenge.

PismoLocal
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
With the stage two cam you will feel more pull in the mid and upper range. When I bought my quad it was a 440 with a stock cam and carb. I put a stage 2 hotcam, 11:1 piston and 450 carb and it made a world of difference. After the install there wasn't a significant loss of low end but now it pulls just as hard all the way through the rpm range. I recently moved to a 12:1 piston and it pulls even harder but I'm running wiseco gaskets so I would guess that I'm around 11.5:1 compression wise.