PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the CR500 Motor...

opdmize
03-06-2007, 12:54 AM
I have a ESR330 Kit and I sometimes still think about putting a CR500 motor in. I have a few questions.

1) is there any possible way to machine/mechanically balance the motor or at least drastically reduce vibration?

2) why is vibration a non-issue when this same motor is mounted in an actual CR500 dirtbike?

3) would it be possible to swap transmission components between motors so you could run a 6-speed configuration on a CR500 motor?

zedicus00
03-06-2007, 06:47 AM
add a counterballance to the casses, was working on this in my free time but havent had much latly... u can have the crank trued, that helps a lot.

dirt bikes hav less contact with the ground plus the way the forks on them work it all helps to disperse vibration with out ratling the rider.

short answer, no. long answer, with enough money anything is possible. best way to get this done is to mate a cr500 jug to a 250R bottom end. again this takes time and money, but is doable...

now, for peeple with enough money to tackle any of these, i suggest u just start looking into this.
http://www.saberracing.com/

C-LEIGH RACING
03-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00
add a counterballance to the casses, was working on this in my free time but havent had much latly... u can have the crank trued, that helps a lot.

dirt bikes hav less contact with the ground plus the way the forks on them work it all helps to disperse vibration with out ratling the rider.

short answer, no. long answer, with enough money anything is possible. best way to get this done is to mate a cr500 jug to a 250R bottom end. again this takes time and money, but is doable...

now, for peeple with enough money to tackle any of these, i suggest u just start looking into this.
http://www.saberracing.com/

:D :D :D
Seams like I remember something about some billet CR 500 cases with a counter balancer added in, you remember anything about those.
:D Neil

zedicus00
03-06-2007, 07:51 AM
yup, one of these years maybe.... me an my fiance are expecting our first baby. and we just moved int our newest house about 4 months ago. it was a fixer upper. crap guys i havent even had my fourwheeler fired up in 6 months i dont thing. the projects ive got done since the new house could fill a sheet of notebook paper and its not half as long as the list that still needs done.

i was also just about to start building a polanda and now all that stuff is packed up into a box that i just found the other day, man i need about 12 more hours in each day for me to ever get caught up.

atvmxr
03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
holy #$%# :eek2: does anyone have one of these motors? can you trail ride/mx with it???

zedicus00
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
yes
and
yes.

theres tons of drag racers with them but a few are set up for duning and or hard play riding and they do very well.

kiesta00
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
I know what you mean, if you've got a modded 500r engine making 70+ hp, its cheaper to just drop that in a frame than to start a 250r bottom end build. My cousin wants to put his 500r motor in a quad frame, its definitely cheaper than building a motor, but wouldn't be fun to ride b/c of the vibrations.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00
yes
and
yes.

theres tons of drag racers with them but a few are set up for duning and or hard play riding and they do very well.

300 to 500 ft drags, for some reason vibs dont seam to be a problem.
You take that same set up & try to TT race it, after about 5 laps you dont have feet no more, at least you cant feel them.
BUT, hey, might be the price you have to pay for first place every time.
Neil

wilkin250r
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I've seen and ridden a few, and I just don't like them.

Sure, they have lots of power, but not as much as the drag banshees. You're never going to be top dawg, you'll always be limited to a mid-level player. Unless you are running an organized event that separates single and multi-cylinder engines, I don't see the point in drag racing a CR500 motor, considering the cost and effort involved.

And if it's not drag racing, I still don't see the point. The vibration makes it useless for almost anything else.

Now if it was counterbalanced, that would be a different story. It would make a perfect duner. Huge 2-stroke horsepower, and a broad power curve, you couldn't ask for a better dune motor.

atvmxr
03-07-2007, 08:19 AM
ummm, neil, fiesta, and wilkins
did you go the saber website??? they have kits to turn the TRX250R (counter balanced) into a 500..... i would ride that all day 80-95 hp :devil:

opdmize
03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
I like the whole Sabertooth route except it is more $$ than a stock CR500 motor and more importantly, a motor that high strung even if suprisingly reliable for being a 500 big bore kit would never be as reliable as a semi stock CR500 engine. What would be involved in counterbalancing the engine? Is is even possible?

kiesta00
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
ummm, neil, fiesta, and wilkins
did you go the saber website??? they have kits to turn the TRX250R (counter balanced) into a 500..... i would ride that all day 80-95 hp :devil:

yeahh, i've been there a few times...but this topic is about the CR500 motor, thats why we've been discussing issues about the 500r motor, not the sabertooth.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by kiesta00
yeahh, i've been there a few times...but this topic is about the CR500 motor, thats why we've been discussing issues about the 500r motor, not the sabertooth.

Thats right,

A CR500R engine, thats what was being asked about.

Neil

zedicus00
03-08-2007, 08:27 AM
really if u do all the right tricks, urathane bushings on the engine mounts, trued balanced welded CR crank, fill the handlebars with silicone an run an antivibe stem u can make the CR500 engine in the R frame not too bad.

as for adding a counterbalance to a CR500 engine. it wouldnt be too hard to add a place in a set of custom made cases for a counterballance, it would be harder to actually make the counterballancer itself. based off the 250R one as a starting point its doable. but then with time and money anythings doable.

for the time and money involved in setting up any sort of usable CR500 i would still put my effort into getting a saber kit. for the price of the complete kit and all it comes with, everything from clutch to pipe and ignition. its a steel. basically you provide the bottom end and end up with a bolt in turn key hotrod set up for drag, dunes, trails, whatever u want.

atvmxr
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Thats right,

A CR500R engine, thats what was being asked about.

Neil

ok fair enough, I was asking about the saber and I thought zediucous responded to me and then someone quote him responding to me as though we were talking about the cR500R.... :blah: :D

well, after I become rich and famous :rolleyes: , I think I want to use a saber in my full on aftermarket 'R that I hope to build one day...

course I think by the time Im ready, they will have stopped making it , just like my CR500 linkage, tpin front end laeger frame I want :ermm: