PDA

View Full Version : Is Walsh/PEP the best 450r front end?

mephyst
03-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Honestly, I don't mind paying the little extra for a quality build. It seems that this combo is considered to be the best ride by most people. What is your opinion on this?

Also, what is your favorite tire setup for MX?

xsr_racing28c
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
It is all rider preference. You'll never find a group of people who agree on one front or rear end setup because it all depends on what you prefer and how you like your suspension to feel.

Walsh and PEP components are very nice product in my opinion, but saying that it is the best combo can be argued all day long.

What kind of riding are you doing and how much do you want to spend?

Walsh arm setup- $1250 approx
PEP ARC Shocks -$1650 approx

and if your going with this front suspension, your also going to want to match the rear end for proper feel and ride quality.

Walsh Swinger- $800 approx
PEP ARC shock- $1100 approx
LT Link-$150-350 approx

~Jay

TBD
03-06-2007, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mephyst
[B]Honestly, I don't mind paying the little extra for a quality build. It seems that this combo is considered to be the best ride by most people. What is your opinion on this?

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Like the post above, you will get quite a few "best front end combo" opinions but unless someone has ridden all of the suspension combo's out there they are just stating a opinion.

I myself happen to know (biengs that I design suspension components) that there is a limited amount of changes you can make to a the supension to make it work better then someone elses. All suspension builders are working with the stock frames so there is only shock positions and a couple of other things you can change to make the suspension perform better. Of course there is the workmanship and qaulity of hardware used that make different arms stand out. With that said, good luck.

400exrider707
03-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by TBD
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mephyst
[B]Honestly, I don't mind paying the little extra for a quality build. It seems that this combo is considered to be the best ride by most people. What is your opinion on this?

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Like the post above, you will get quite a few "best front end combo" opinions but unless someone has ridden all of the suspension combo's out there they are just stating a opinion.

I myself happen to know (biengs that I design suspension components) that there is a limited amount of changes you can make to a the supension to make it work better then someone elses. All suspension builders are working with the stock frames so there is only shock positions and a couple of other things you can change to make the suspension perform better. Of course there is the workmanship and qaulity of hardware used that make different arms stand out. With that said, good luck.

Well said, Im stealing the quote!!!:chinese:

xsr_racing28c
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
One thing to look at when getting new suspension is the quality of welds, placing of gussets and the quality of hardware ( joints, bushings etc...)

TBD: I've seen your work and I have to compliment you greatly on your craftsmanship!!!

~Jay

TBD
03-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
One thing to look at when getting new suspension is the quality of welds, placing of gussets and the quality of hardware ( joints, bushings etc...)

TBD: I've seen your work and I have to compliment you greatly on your craftsmanship!!!

~Jay
Thank you very much. That is why I'm trying to keep my product more hand built then mass produced. I'm a very picky person when it comes to workmanship and appearance. Hand built takes longer but at least I know I have touched every part and feel it's the best I can offer.
Again, thanks for the compliment.

xsr_racing28c
03-06-2007, 09:16 AM
No Problem TBD!

Mempyst: What current suspension do you have?

Jay

Ex_Rider43
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
It is the best I have ridden yet.

mephyst
03-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Right now I have stock suspension... I've ridden on Elka's before and they were nice, but I want better. :)

I think I want to go with PEP's for sure, but I will most likely go with a different company for the a arms... maybe houser/LSR/JB. I will also be doing the rear shock, but won't get the aftermarket swinger right away...

xsr_racing28c
03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
JB Racing makes good suspension components for the 450r for a good price.

Call up Janssen Motorsports @ 920-766-3411

Tell em Jason Conti sent ya...They are great people who are JB Racing authorized dealers

~Jay

rollie
03-06-2007, 02:10 PM
You should check out Herrmann Racing and Stadium suspension. when my stuff gets here ill take some pics

mephyst
03-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Alright, pics are always awesome. :) I was talking to one of the Bomb Squad filmers (who I happen to know) and he said he would use nothing but PEP. He said that he can get me a discount on everything basically through a guy that does all the suspension for the freestyle riders. He said there isn't really a waiting period because this guy is best friends with the owner of PEP and actually makes the shocks himself as well. So, I think I am going to buy a new 450 instead of upgrading my 04, and build it all up at once. Sound good? :p

Harbin_22
03-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I have messed with alot of different suspensions, and Walsh by far makes the best stuff I have ever dealt with. The craftsmanship is amazing, everything fits great, and works even better. As far as PEP's go I love mine, I have had elkas, axis and PEP and I will take PEP's over the others anyday. You can't go wrong with any Walsh/PEP setup.

xsr_racing28c
03-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Mempyst: I coulda swore nearly every rider from the Bomb Squad on Huevos 9 was using Elka shocks... am i wrong?

I just don't get why this guy would tell you that PEP is the only way to go when most of them guys are running something else...

In my opinion, PEP is the nicest shock out, but other shock and arm combos can perform just the same if setup correctly and valved for the rider.

~Jay

mephyst
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Mempyst: I coulda swore nearly every rider from the Bomb Squad on Huevos 9 was using Elka shocks... am i wrong?

I just don't get why this guy would tell you that PEP is the only way to go when most of them guys are running something else...

In my opinion, PEP is the nicest shock out, but other shock and arm combos can perform just the same if setup correctly and valved for the rider.

~Jay

I said the filmer for the Huevos video wouldn't run anything but PEP, and was recommended that by the guy who does all the setups for the Bomb Squad riders..... maybe they are just sponsored by Elka, not sure....

but it seems that in my past years of reading forums that Walsh/PEP setup is clearly the best. It seems like NO one can talk down on it whatsoever. Elka's are definitely not the best shock. Everyone knows that, but they probably sell more than any other aftermarket manufacturer.

xsr_racing28c
03-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Yea i think there sponsorship is through Elka.

Anyways, I do agree that you won't be unsatisfied one bit with running the Walsh/PEP setup one bit. I run all PEP ARC shocks on my 450 and have Walsh components for my 450r(Swinger& Savior Link) and YFZ (Arms, Stem, Swinger, Link).

Let us knw what you do.. ~Jay

mxracer99
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I have ridden everything including Elka, fox, Axis and pep, I have ridden a houser, jb, lsr, and roll, the best and smoothest set up i have ever ran is a walsh pep combo, everything works perfect, the second best set up would be axis/walsh, or pep/jb

MX450
03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
id say to me it sounds like a walsh/pep setup is what YOU want... in that case, get it, obviously its a good setup, or so many people wouldnt ride it and rave about it.. so that being said.. get the front end you really WANT... in your case walsh/pep, cant go wrong.

on a side note, id say go with jb, their arms are about 825, vs walsh's 1250... and they use cheaper components when it comes time to replace them, depending on what skill level you are, you might not benifit from the adjustability of the walsh arms (heims) and probly wouldnt know the difference, and you would save about 400 bux. You could also get PEP nar (non adjust rebound) and save another 500 bux, and again, depending on your skill level you might not benifit from the adjustablity.

Is a walsh/pep the BEST frontend?? Thats up to the rider.. is it top notch regardless.... yes!

mephyst
03-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by MX450
id say to me it sounds like a walsh/pep setup is what YOU want... in that case, get it, obviously its a good setup, or so many people wouldnt ride it and rave about it.. so that being said.. get the front end you really WANT... in your case walsh/pep, cant go wrong.

on a side note, id say go with jb, their arms are about 825, vs walsh's 1250... and they use cheaper components when it comes time to replace them, depending on what skill level you are, you might not benifit from the adjustability of the walsh arms (heims) and probly wouldnt know the difference, and you would save about 400 bux. You could also get PEP nar (non adjust rebound) and save another 500 bux, and again, depending on your skill level you might not benifit from the adjustablity.

Is a walsh/pep the BEST frontend?? Thats up to the rider.. is it top notch regardless.... yes!

Yeah man I see what you're saying. I'd say that I am an advanced rider. I ride fast/hard and put my stock suspension to it's limits. I want to start getting into racing mx, so in that aspect I'd say I'm a beginner rider.

I have only been to the track on my quad a couple times and am actually pretty good.

I race dirtbikes in the intermediate class and do quite well... but want to also get into quads.

mx86250R
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
ive heard from many people that Nar PEP shocks are the way to go...the adjustable rebound goes unused on about all ARC shocks from everyone i know who has them...and you save a good 500 dollars...i went with herrmann and Fox which should be a good front end..haven't rode it yet

JessetheKid
03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
JB makes some great stuff, if you are just an intermediate rider i doubt that you will notice much of a difference between walsh and the other companies. Here is jb's website http://jbatvracing.com/ atvfourplay also has some nice products, i beleive their engineer used to be the guy that designed all of jb's stuff. http://www.atvfourplay.com/ But dont get me wrong walsh makes some great stuff, but you pay for it.

mephyst
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I will be getting PEP's and probably getting the NARC shocks. JB seems to be very good according to a lot of research I've done and what some of you had said... Now I am wondering about LSR?? It's just one of those things I wouldn't want to have a bunch of different companies on my quad. JB doesn't make axles, but LSR makes the swinger/axles/a-arms/steering stems. I guess I am just picky.

Also, if I want to get long travel in the rear, can I just buy one of these companies links for now and use the stock swinger for awhile until I drop some more $$ for an after market swinger??

MX450
03-11-2007, 06:57 PM
baldwin makes a linkage for the stock swinger that is pretty good from what ive heard, if you got that you can always get a stock replacement swingarm, and keep your setup. JB makes a very good swingarm/link combo, but you have to have the swinger to run it.. but ive heard the baldwin link is pretty similer so you could always upgrade your swinger later

as far as having a bunch of diff companies.. im the same way, i like my stuff to be uniform... but with the axles, if youre really picky you would only get LSR or laegers, cause they are the only two companys who make everything.