PDA

View Full Version : Who has a street bike?

Punk'd
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Im 17 and I was offered a pretty good deal..

A 1995 or 1996 (forgot) Honda CBR600, but I dont know how much I will be paying for insurance. He's selling it for $1200 so I really dont want to pass up this deal.

My only problem is convincing my parents because I get the ol "not in my house" speech:rolleyes:

But does anyone have any idea on how much insurance would be for me (not full coverage) Prolly wont need it.

Also does anyone have or know anyone who has a CBR600?

Thanks

pro-pain
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
i dont have a street bike right now but a lot of my friends do. its really important to know the milage of the bike, if it has a lot on it 30K and up, i would hesitate to get it even for that price. these are made to go fast and it may have problems after being rode long and hard.

i dont know how much insurance will cost

overall its kinda old but if it runs ok and you have some money you can get it to just mess around on, if you want a serious street bike that will look good (get you chicks) and perform, i would save up about 2 or 3 more and get something newer.

HiperEX
03-05-2007, 09:54 PM
i used to have bike like your sayng 96 cbr 600 f3, i thought it as a nice bike, never had any troubles except for the cam chain, was a nice beginner bike though, i would highly suggest taking the bike safety course and gettin your real bike lisense, it helps alot

mephyst
03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I have a brand new 07 r6, and pay I think 215 a every 6months. But I had to move my truck on my own plan as well, and ya... it's somewhat expensive but not too bad.

I also took the MSF course and that gives you a discount as well. (In CA you are forced to take it if you are under 21)

derekhonda
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
03 600 RR - 280 every 6 months i believe, under parents name though...

mephyst
03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Lol, I had to go on my own plan and switch insurance companies. (State Farm is the best for motorcycles, hands down) I was on Allstate... but we have so many vehicles that they wouldn't insure anymore on the same plan lol.

x.system
03-05-2007, 10:12 PM
I've had a few bikes but I had a 98 cbr, exact same bike as the 96 just a little different plastic. The cbr's loose their value fast, $1200 is probably a fair price but not a smokin deal in my book. They are a heavy bike compared to the newer style or even F4, F4I. I've got a 954 now that weighs less than most 600's. The lighter they are the easyer they are to manuver. My 98 ran flawlessly and when I sold it I had put over 21,000 miles on it. They are very dependable and almost indestructable bikes. My insurance is cheaper with my 954 than it was with my older 600. The only place to get insurance for a streetbike is State Farm or I should say cheapest place. You will need to have a car insured with them to get bike coverage but its worth it in the end with the money you will save on the bike insurance. Your area is going to determine your insurance cost so your best bet is to get a quote on that bike.

BTW, I agree with your parents. Every 17/18 year old I have known that bought a bike ended up totaling it, every single one and 2 of them lost their lives because of it. I've been in two wrecks because people don't look for bikes and pull out in front of them constantly. I don't even ride mine any more unless I go to bike week or deals gap, its just not worth it.

mephyst
03-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Yup. So many stupid drivers out there. I am 18, been riding bikes on the street since I was 16... I have kicked in a couple peoples' doors already to say the least... broke off a few mirrors. Maybe they will remember to look better for a bike next time. I'm sorry, but when you come that close to ending my life, I'm going to react with something that will make you to never do that again.

Luckily, I haven't been down yet... but everyone goes down, it's just a matter of time.

Streetbikes are one of the most dangerous things, especially here in Southern California. I plan on racing mine on the track.

Punk'd
03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a feeling my parents minds will not change on this matter.

When Im 18 ill be able to buy one myself without their signature correct? What about insurance? Will I need them for that as well?

Id just like to have one because of gas prices or just to go from place to place. Right now I have a Ranger, but plan to keep it so when I go to college I can bring my bike with me and ride that when I need to go from place to place. Prolly cheaper that way.

If I do end up buying one it will prolly be a CBR600rr or a R6. Which do you guys prefer?

BTW: Thanks for all the help everyone:)

mephyst
03-05-2007, 11:03 PM
As of this year, the r6 is the bike to beat. I bought new because I put 0 money down, got it for 9,999 OTD and my minimum payment is like $90 a month and only 8.6% interest for 3 yrs, then 10.6. Not too bad... I plan on only giving about $150 a month and then selling my bike before 3 years. I shouldnt loose to much on it, then I will upgrade to maybe a 1000cc bike, but I really want a Ducati...

HiperEX
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
i dont know about a R6 ive read alot of info that they hav clunky trannys

mephyst
03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
i dont know about a R6 ive read alot of info that they hav clunky trannys

The 2007 r6??? This is the smoothest shifting bike I have ever ridden... lol.

Smokin 440
03-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Well if you can talk your parents into it, maybe the bike could be titled and insured under one of them? I thought insurance was going to murder me(multiple tickets)... But because my dad's name is on the title of my R6 so insurance is just under $90 every 6 months for full coverage.

JJs450r
03-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd

A 1995 or 1996 (forgot) Honda CBR600, but I dont know how much I will be paying for insurance. He's selling it for $1200 so I really dont want to pass up this deal.

My only problem is convincing my parents because I get the ol "not in my house" speech:rolleyes:

But does anyone have any idea on how much insurance would be for me (not full coverage) Prolly wont need it.

Also does anyone have or know anyone who has a CBR600?

Thanks

wow hah ithought it was just my parents that gave the not in my house speech

400exrider707
03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
$1200 for a 95 or 96 is not that great of a deal at all... We bought a 96 before for $700 and that was probably three years ago. You gotta think that bike is 11 or 12 years old now

Rekd
03-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd

First bike?

17 years old?

CBR600?

That's a lot of bike. Be careful. ;)

Originally posted by mephyst
Yup. So many stupid drivers out there. I am 18, been riding bikes on the street since I was 16... I have kicked in a couple peoples' doors already to say the least... broke off a few mirrors. [b]Maybe they will remember to look better for a bike next time. I'm sorry, but when you come that close to ending my life, I'm going to react with something that will make you to never do that again.

So you destroyed someone's property because they didn't see you? :rolleyes:

Just curious, were you, um, you know... driving over the speed limit at the time? Weaving in and out of cars at the time? Driving in a manner that made it harder for them to see you?

Perhaps a better method (other than you exibiting road rage) is to act like they are going to try to hit you because they, um, can't see you.

joshyz125
03-06-2007, 06:19 AM
i have a 03 F4I,

I don't think 1200 is a smokin deal, it's not a bad price, just not the deal of the century,

Alot of guys swear by that F3 and f4 motor, Many of the Mini sprint guys use that as a beginner engine because they are pretty tough, and take alot of abuse.

CBR's are good bikes in my opinion, i just don't think they're the fastest.
But there not very many people that ride on the street only that will ever use the full potential of a bike,

Insurance, i have state farm, With you being under 18, even on a 600, i would be surprised to see you pay less then 300 for PLPD.

Chin_Chilla
03-06-2007, 08:34 AM
This is my other toy. 2001 R1, very very addicting!

derekhonda
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I think its a good deal, providing it doesnt have 30k miles on it. Worst case scenerio, just get liability on it (should be much cheaper)

If you down it, tires and engine alone should still be worth $500.

mephyst
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Rekd
So you destroyed someone's property because they didn't see you? :rolleyes:

Just curious, were you, um, you know... driving over the speed limit at the time? Weaving in and out of cars at the time? Driving in a manner that made it harder for them to see you?

Perhaps a better method (other than you exibiting road rage) is to act like they are going to try to hit you because they, um, can't see you.

Wtf? No. I am extremely cautious when riding on the street... and there has maybe been 5 different times where I've almost REALLY gone down. 4 of those people were......... TALKING ON THEIR STUPID CELL PHONES AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION. They could have easily ended my life or severely injured me. Most people just DON'T think about looking for motorcycles especially when they are on their cell phones. The last case was an older guy in an old Lincoln town car. He was coming off an exit on the freeway, it is an odd one, but when he was merging over he clearly did not turn his head and merged over 3 lanes at once. I was in the far left lane and was literally pushed into the gutter between the curb and his car. I sped up along side him and nailed his window with my carbon fiber knuckles a few good taps to get his attention then screamed at him the next stop light.

So yeah, I take it personal when someone almost kills me when it is their fault.

It's like going riding and someone ripping through camp in a big buggy or race truck when your 7 year old son, daughter, brother or sister is clearly riding on a little kiddy track. It's like wtf?? Do you not see them????? Go around moron.

Oh, and btw, it is extremely dangerous to go the speed limit on a bike. Anyone knows this that rides streetbikes. You have to go a little bit faster than the flow of traffic or you are going to find yourself in some horrible situations. They even taught us this in the MSF course put on by the CHP.

My bike:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/P1010004.jpg

Rekd
03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
Wtf? No. I am extremely cautious when riding on the street... and there has maybe been 5 different times where I've almost REALLY gone down. 4 of those people were......... TALKING ON THEIR STUPID CELL PHONES AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION. They could have easily ended my life or severely injured me. Most people just DON'T think about looking for motorcycles especially when they are on their cell phones. The last case was an older guy in an old Lincoln town car. He was coming off an exit on the freeway, it is an odd one, but when he was merging over he clearly did not turn his head and merged over 3 lanes at once. I was in the far left lane and was literally pushed into the gutter between the curb and his car. I sped up along side him and nailed his window with my carbon fiber knuckles a few good taps to get his attention then screamed at him the next stop light.

So yeah, I take it personal when someone almost kills me when it is their fault.

It's like going riding and someone ripping through camp in a big buggy or race truck when your 7 year old son, daughter, brother or sister is clearly riding on a little kiddy track. It's like wtf?? Do you not see them????? Go around moron.

Oh, and btw, it is extremely dangerous to go the speed limit on a bike. Anyone knows this that rides streetbikes. You have to go a little bit faster than the flow of traffic or you are going to find yourself in some horrible situations. They even taught us this in the MSF course put on by the CHP.

I'm just curious, because I've been riding on the street twice as long as you've been alive and that's only happened to me a few times.

But then, I watch out for what other people do, not just pay attention to what I'm doing. No matter how safe I think I am. I guess they don't teach that in the MSF courses any more.

Either way, I was curious if you honestly think it's OK to damage somone else's property simply because they didn't see you.

FYI, I have two young kids and I wouldn't break off someone's mirror for speeding around camp, (I'm always at the desert or beach camping and riding).

I make sure my kids are out of the way of speeders and instruct them to watch out for the speeders or other riders.

How can you honestly control what someone else does? By damaging their stuff?

No.

That will only bring more action and attention against US, be it on the street or in the dirt.

I can only wonder what you would do if a cager ran you off the road because he was pissed at you for not seeing him. Or if some big, pissed off gang-banger riding his quad got cut off by you because you didn't see him. When he broke off your handle-bars, or smashed in your face, would you say you deserved it? (And I don't want to hear that you always see everyone around you, because you simply don't)

Just think a bit before you go kicking in doors. If the guy saw you THEN ran you off the road, I could undstand your anger, but what you do to those who simply didn't see you is wrong. Plain and simple.

Punk'd
03-06-2007, 01:41 PM
So is a R6 a good bike to start off on? Is there any tips or anything you guys want to add for a beginner?

I've never ridden one before, but i've rode pretty much anything else you can think of.

300exQuadracer
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mephyst
[B] TALKING ON THEIR STUPID CELL PHONES AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION. They could have easily ended my life or severely injured me. Most people just DON'T think about looking for motorcycles especially when they are on their cell phones.

last summer me and some friends where riding there was 5 of us and we where goins around a small blind curve in the middle of the day on a fairly busy road and here comes a lady on the cell in our lane right at us! my buddy was right ahead of me and he layed his bike down the guy beside me ditched his too, so me and one of the other guys chased her down she sped up and was doing over 90 as soon as she seen them go down and we caught up to her and she said she never seen us but we held her till the police came and she ended up havin to pay to get my buddies bikes fixed

mephyst
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't feel like arguing at the moment and don't really have time in between class, but in the MSF course they do teach you to be aware of what others are doing as well as yourself. I am extremely alert when riding my bike on the street, and maybe I have just had some unlucky experiences so far. It's not fun to almost get ran over.

No, I don't enjoy damaging people's property and I've only done it a couple times. Do I regret it? No, not really.

And if some gang banger on a quad cuts me off or harms my little sister in any way by cutting through camp... I'm not really afraid to tell anyone that they are a moron and to not do it again... I go camping with several police officers that are family and friends. They will not hesitate to jump out infront of a sand rail or group of quads by themselves and i mean SCREAM at people for doing these idiotic actions. Some people are so clueless.

And I don't see how you've never had a case where some moron came blasting through the middle of your camp right next to your young kids even with cones setup and you didn't get angry... this happens almost every trip I go on to the dunes. There are a lot of morons out there, what can i say.

30liveStar
03-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I currently have a 2002 f4i.

I have owned a 2005 1000rr, 2003 gsxr 1000, 2002 954rr, and a 2001 GSXR 750 (for the girlfriend) - 99 f4...

I have ridden (ALOT) the following...
03 636 - 05 636 - 2006 zx10 - 2006 R1 - 1999r6 - 2005 r6

lets just say every bike has its flaws, and leave it at that... I completely MOLEST my f4i everytime i ride it, and it always keeps on ticking...

If you are getting a suzuki - you need an oil pickup...
If a honda - you need a manual camchain tensioner
If kawasaki - you need a manual camchain tensioner and the "clean-air" mod so it doesnt hydrolock.
Yamaha's are solid bikes, but they have tranny problems and other small issues...

Bottom line (not being brand loyal - from EXPERIENCE)

Honda makes the most reliable bikes... Ive seen someone drain ALL the oil out of their f4i and ride 500-750foot coaster wheelies on revlimiter for HOURS trying to blow one up... they finally had to put water in the case to make it throw a rod... And i ride the hell out of mine as well (not quite as hard as above)

I blew up my gsxr 1000 in 2 weeks (threw a rod) :mad:

but if you are going to baby your bike - get which one you think LOOKS the best, because it will run forever...

My 954 had 60k+ miles and the 99 R6 i rode had 50k+, both were running great when they were sold.

05_KFX
03-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Pic of my GSXR

Chin_Chilla
03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 05_KFX
Pic of my GSXR Just curious, but is your bike really stiff when you get on it or does it scrape like hell?

Seems awfully low just by itself, I can't imagine what it would be like with a 200lb person on it...

Not flamin or anything, just curious....

Tommy 17
03-06-2007, 09:19 PM
the bike to buy right now is the 07 cbr600rr... everyone is pickin them over the R6s... they new 600rrs are INSANE!

i personally have a 2006 cbr600rr tribal and i pay 650$ a year for comprehensive in my own name...

joshyz125
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I think you should stick with the 95 or 96 bike for your first bike, It'll give you some practice, Not to say you'll put it down riding it, but it'll fall over in the garage, on the sidewalk, or something like that, you'll lose your footing at a slick stop sign, Get a little seat time before you spend thousand's of dollars on a brand new kinda bike,

my $.02

Punk'd
03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by joshyz125
I think you should stick with the 95 or 96 bike for your first bike, It'll give you some practice, Not to say you'll put it down riding it, but it'll fall over in the garage, on the sidewalk, or something like that, you'll lose your footing at a slick stop sign, Get a little seat time before you spend thousand's of dollars on a brand new kinda bike,

my $.02

Oh I totally agree.. Im going to buy a used R6 or CBR600rr. I dont have 8-9k for a new one anyway. Im only looking to spend about 3-4k.

Rekd
03-07-2007, 07:15 AM
And if some gang banger on a quad cuts me off

You're not even reading what I'm writing.

I'm talking about when YOU cut somebody off. Will you be OK with it when they damage YOUR property because YOU didn't see THEM???

Please try to keep up.

And like I said, when I camp, I make it so people can't ride thru my camp.

Either way, I wouldn't take it upon myself to destroy their property. You're making ALL of us look bad because YOU are being childish.