PDA

View Full Version : 07 Kicker WILL NOT START HELP

staakej
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Please if you dont know dont sent my stupid answers like "shoud have bought a LTR" I'm not in the mood

I bought A brand new 07 450R kick starter. When I picked the bike up I had a hard time starting it, but it was sitting outside on a cold day. Once i got it home and warmed up in the shop it fired right up. I let it run for 5 mins and took a short ride up the street and back. Everything seem to been in order so I started to tear it down to build my race bike for this season.

Got my motor out took the head off sent it off for porting. Got
my head back put it on put in a crf cam added a sparks exhaust system , sparks needle, boysen quick shot, removed air box lid, I removed my key switch and cut the wires from the factory kill switch and wired in a pro design kill switch in its place. Everthing else was left stock.

After doing all my mods and resambling the quad I was ready starter up. So I filled the tank up with some VP 110 pulled the choke and started kicking. NO GO :( The bike would fire for a 1/2 second and die. I thougt the bike didnt want to idle so I turned up my idle knob. Still would just fire for a 1/2 second then die. So i thought I should up the pilot jet one size. No Change. So then I thought I should check my timing agian pulled the valve cover and timing was spot on.Checked the valve clearences spot on Now I'm scrachin my head :confused: . So I go back and Check the the three things you need to make a motor run Got Fuel Got AIR Got Spark. Still the same thing run for a 1/2 second then die.
So I decied the I screw up some where and decied to put the bike back to stock being that it ran stock before I added mods to it. I put my stock cam back it put the carb back to stock put the air box lid back put my factory key switch and rewired the factory kill switch back on. Still the same result fire for a 1/2 second then die? :mad: Now i'm pissed I have abrand new bike that wont run :mad: SO I check timing AGIAN and clean carb from top to bottom check all breather hose and vacume lines to make sure nothing pluged. Still no change runs 1/2 second the dies. So being at a loss I consult with my father to get a second opinon. He listen to kick it over and says I have a timing promblem He thinks it sound's like it will fire for a brief second under the power of me kicking it but once it has to run on it's own it not fireing at the right time or at all. So i check the timing agian and show my father the repair manual on how to set the timing he double checks my timing marks on the motor and concures with that my timing is spot on. So moving on to the next thing that controls timing I unplug my CDI box. NOT having any any 06 07 cdi boxes I get a stock 04 05 cdi box that i had from an old bike. so I pluged the 04 05 cdi in pluging the the 2 plugs in leaving the thrid plug undone being the 04 05 cdi boxes only have 2 plugs where as the 06 07 have three. Kicked it over and bam fired and pured like a kitten :) . So they for I though I had solved the promblem and got a new cdi box. New cdi came put it in and kicked it over still the same promblem hits for a 1/2 second and dies? took out the new cdi put the old 04 05 cdi in and she fires right up? Now I'm really confused why will it not run on its own cdi but i can put a different on on it from an older modle and it runs ? So i had a friend of mine that works at a honda dealer call up honda and talk to a tech and he said i need to check my stator and pick up coil I'm gona get a volt om meter tomorrow and checkin wires and one else have any ideas ??????????

oldracer
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I do know for cold starts. you need to pump the gas 8 times. then kick(or push the magic button)
with the choke on.
but don't give it any gas while kicking.
try it. it can't hurt.

staakej
03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
NO dosnt matter pumping it choke no choke hot start still the same result 1/2 second then dies

ss440ex
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
You had the engine out to remove the head.
Any wires not hooked up or lying loose?
Grounds??

Teather switch splices not grounding out any where??

Good luck,keep us up dated!!!

Snoopy450r
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Could it be some problem from removing the key switch?

staakej
03-06-2007, 06:03 AM
I thought it may be the key switch also but i did put it back to stock with no change and I did think I may of had a ground promblem being I powdercoated the frame but I took my coil off and and filed off where it bolts on down to the metal to make sure I'm getting good ground.

dober250R
03-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Did you re-jet after porting and doing all the other things to it?

ss440ex
03-06-2007, 06:59 AM
If it is not running....or not running at idle.
That is the idle mixure screw or pilot jet.
Any shop rags left in the carb or intake boots?????

Keep us posted!!

staakej
03-06-2007, 03:10 PM
NO you guys are not reading I can plug in a 04 05 cdi box and the thing runs and but my 07 cdi wont work got a brand new one from honda still wont work plug the old box back in and it runs somthing is causing my cdi not to work correctly but somthing that the old cdi box dont pick up on. Please dont tell me it not jetted correctly that's not the promblem

honda4life72
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
are u running the 06/07 thumb trottle? is the tps pluged into the o6/07 cdi?

Dave400ex
03-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a wiring issue. Something must have got messed up or disconnected when you had it apart. That is a good point about the throttle, check that out.

staakej
03-08-2007, 07:45 PM
well guys I finaly got a bike so swap parts of and finaly found out that my wiring harness is bad crazy. thanks for your help

QuadRacer041
03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by staakej
well guys I finaly got a bike so swap parts of and finaly found out that my wiring harness is bad crazy. thanks for your help

what was wrong with the hareness?

staakej
03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
has a short some where just gona get a new one it's the only thing ive switched off another bike that will make it run.