PDA

View Full Version : 2007 project ultimate DRX 70

raidernut
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
wanted to share this build with you guys, it is Buddy Williams 2007 custom DRR DRX 70. The bike was sponsored to Buddy from drr, and will be powered by a custom Hetrick Racing 70cc water cooled motor. It will feature a ton of aftermarket performance parts and long travel suspension all around. Buddy
Williams will be running this machine at round 2 of the ATVA nationals, as well as the remainder of the WORCS National series and the ITP Quadcross. Will take pictures of the entire build if you all would like. I am doing all the work other than the powerplant myself. enjoy!

raidernut
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
phase 1 candy frame with DC motorsports gull wing long travel with 14" elkas

raidernut
03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Flexx handlebars, steering stabilizer, high capacity radiator

raidernut
03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
DC motorsports +3 long travel swingarm with 13" elka elite, ac nerfs

raidernut
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Hydraulic rear foot brake

raidernut
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
45 inch width, more to come later.....................

etondaddy
03-06-2007, 05:33 AM
WOW.................... is that nice or what.

robb
03-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Great job Mark!!!!!! That is one SICK !!!!!!!! DRX
cant wait to see the rest .

Livin4Real
03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
It looks nice, but I don't see any gussets :confused:

raidernut
03-06-2007, 07:24 AM
the gussets are there , but done very cleanly, it is not overly gussetted for this rider due to his 45 pound weight, soaking wet, and when you have this much travel and shock length with a light rider it is not too hard on the frame.

etondaddy
03-06-2007, 07:37 AM
You big time guys sure do nice work……….. Those bars are sweeeet. Maybe next year liquid cooled 90 DRR…………. We may have to give up the E-Ton thing……… I didn’t say that did I. LOL

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/90_Build007.jpg

Livin4Real
03-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
the gussets are there , but done very cleanly, it is not overly gussetted for this rider due to his 45 pound weight, soaking wet, and when you have this much travel and shock length with a light rider it is not too hard on the frame.

Gotcha, I wish mine was only 45lbs still :p That was about 35lbs. ago lol. That red looks sweet :macho

raidernut
03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
eton daddy you have done a great job on your bike as well, i have enjoyed watching the photos of it coming together. you will be pleased with that front end set up, we have been using that one so far this year

wvspeedfreak
03-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Raidernut,that is an awesome project!If I didn't have so much tied up in these Kaseas I would be looking into a DRX for sure.

etondaddy
03-06-2007, 07:36 PM
eton daddy you have done a great job on your bike as well, i have enjoyed watching the photos of it coming together. you will be pleased with that front end set up, we have been using that one so far this year

Thank you very much that means a lot coming from you. Kyle and myself take a lot of pride in his quad, the cool part is he’s a little gear head and loves to wrench on it with me.

Yea he can’t wait to get that new front end out on the track.

raidernut
03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
just make sure you have the caster and camber set properly, i dont know if your pictures are playing tricks with my eyes, but it looks as though you have a lot of negative caster which will make it real stable in the straights, but tough in the corners. About 4 degrees of caster is ideal with that set up. if you need to know how to set it up let me know. You might already be on just judging by the photos

etondaddy
03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
just make sure you have the caster and camber set properly, i dont know if your pictures are playing tricks with my eyes, but it looks as though you have a lot of negative caster which will make it real stable in the straights, but tough in the corners. About 4 degrees of caster is ideal with that set up. if you need to know how to set it up let me know. You might already be on just judging by the photos

I haven’t adjusted anything yet it’s all by eye. The only thing I know to do is set the quad upright on it’s butt make sure the handle bars are straight and make the tires level up and down. Then set it down put it on the crate and again make sure the bars are straight and level it up and down again.

Not sure if it’s right but that’s what I’ve always done.

raidernut
03-06-2007, 09:10 PM
there is a lot more to it than just that. with a fully adjustable front end like that, you really need to make sure it is adjusted properly for optimal handling. caster is very important, and is measured at the spindle. i would be glad to share this with you if you would like, it is not too hard of a process, but you need to get a cheap angle finder from the hardware store. you can get one from ace for about $10. i can help you set it up with that and a straight edge. let me know

QuadJunkies
03-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I believe Ive seen Buddy race at WORCS.He podium finish as last round, correct?
nice job and best of luck to your season:)

raidernut
03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
yes that is him, we appreciate your nice photos also

etondaddy
03-07-2007, 07:43 AM
there is a lot more to it than just that. with a fully adjustable front end like that, you really need to make sure it is adjusted properly for optimal handling. caster is very important, and is measured at the spindle. i would be glad to share this with you if you would like, it is not too hard of a process, but you need to get a cheap angle finder from the hardware store. you can get one from ace for about $10. i can help you set it up with that and a straight edge. let me know

Ok I have a small Dasco Pro angle finder plus level, magnetic base in my hand. I'm ready when ever you are. Well after I get home from work that is.

QuadJunkies
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
yes that is him, we appreciate your nice photos also
It is already for Havasu?
We just finished up the main build on my sons yesterday(still needs the front end adjusted some)he will be racing it for the 1st time in Payette(they threw out rnd 2 and 3)

Stop and say hello if you see me out there and Ill get a few shots.

etondaddy
03-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Ok I read up a little on caster I should have known I used to be a Chevy mechanic. But that was a long time ago. But any way is this right if it is it’s about 17 degrees. Your saying I should be about 4. So I need to more the a-arms or a-arm to make it right. ????

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Caster001.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Caster003.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Caster005.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Caster006.jpg

BradLoomis
03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
17 degrees will be very hard to turn, but would be great for drag racing. You can decrease the caster two ways.

1. lengthen the front heim on the lower a-arm or shorten the rear heim on the lower a-arm.

2. lengthen the rear heim on the upper a-arm or shorten the front heim on the upper a-arm.

Or any combination of the upper two choices. All you are trying to do is to move the lower a-arm backwards towards the rear axle, and/or move the upper a-arm forwards away from the rear axle. By doing this it will twist your a-arm mounts on the spindle more over the top of each other and produce less caster which will make the bike easier to turn.

But remember to keep both of the front wheels the same distance away from the rear axle otherwise one tire could be further forward or behind than the other. Which is a totally different problem.

Also make sure that all of these measurements are taken at normal ride height. Have your rider get on the bike and settle their weight onto it. Push the bike forward and back to get it to settle into it's ride height. Measure from the grab bar to the ground and the front bumper to the ground. Now use a strap to cinch down the rear suspension to the proper distance and make sure that when you adjust the front that you take your new measurements at the correct ride height.

etondaddy
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks Bradloomis, after reading raidernuts post I started doing some thinking and reading and that's what I thought. Both you guys have been a big help.

So I'm checking it right ?

Thanks
Mike Kozura

wvspeedfreak
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Etondaddy,just be glad you have the ability to adjust your caster.I got Austin's Kasea back together and it was very hard to turn.Come to find out the a arms I have are built with 16 degrees negative caster(Thanks again Brad for your help on that!!).If I had it all to do over,I would have just gotten a dual a arm DRX to start with :ermm:

mxdad423
03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey Brad I also wanted to say thanks myself and etondaddy have been on the phone for the last hour, I also have the same dual's, I got mine last year and ran half the year with them and apparently they are out of wack also because mine are set right now the same as etondaddys. My son said it handled great last year so after I get it set correctly he should be really happy. I also have the DC's on the 90 Kasea we just built this winter so I am going to have to reset thos also. Thanks again you have been a big help to myself and etondaddy.....

Kevin Smitley

BradLoomis
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Not a problem guys... I just want the kids to have fun and be safe while trying to keep our "dad" sanity in check.

raidernut
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Brad is exactly correct on how to adjust that, and yes 17 degrees is way off. like he said when you do it make sure that all other measurements remain constant. you can also set your camber with that angle finder. stick with about 3-4 degrees max with those a arms to minimize the bump steer, and definately make your adjustments at ride heighth as brad suggested. also check your toe in, by measuring a point on the back of the wheel to a spot on the frame. make sure both sides are an equal measurement. Then measure the distance between say the outer side middle knobby row at the back of your tires about frame height. then measure the front at the same point of the tire at frame height. The rear measurement should be no more than 1/4 inch larger than the front measurement, thus giving you 1/4 inch to in max. You can also run it equal. but be sure to make sure the distance is the same on both sides in relation to the frame. have fun!!

mxdad423
03-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Thank you raidernut, my son and I are going to work on both of his machines today and hopefully get everything set right. on the camber you said you could have 3-4 degrees is that top in or bottom in. Again Thanks for all the help....

Kevin Smitley

raidernut
03-08-2007, 07:30 AM
should be top in

Nichols Atvs
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Question on the flexx handle bars did you use 12 or 14 degree
set up and did you have to change the brakets

raidernut
03-08-2007, 12:59 PM
14 degree sweep, and just used some standard fat bar mounts for a regular quad

Nichols Atvs
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
this the first time useing theseflexx bars or have you run them before

raidernut
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Bike is finally done!! we didnt get it done in time for the glen helen nats, so we will be debuting the bike next weekend at the worcs round 3 in idaho. We still dont have the wide rear axle so we are making due with some spacers, that still doesnt make it as wide as the front

raidernut
04-01-2007, 10:26 PM
more pics

azextreme
04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
WOW! Nice what kind of travel does that have???

raidernut
04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
about 9 inches

raidernut
04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
about 9 inches

kenjolly
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Very coooool quad!!!!!!!!!!!

My son runs a drx 50 and he has to move up next year to the 90 class.I am getting a water cooled drx90 and wonder what you think of them vs air cooled. drr says they will send me all upcoming upgrades for the water cooled.