PDA

View Full Version : Output shaft play, normal? or not...

FrankenWheeler
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi all,
So I just bought my second 250r after selling my '88 about 7 years ago.
This one I just had out in the dunes yesterday and noticed a fast gear oil leak coming from the output shaft.
I figured just a seal but now that the sprocket is off there is about 2-3mm of play in the shaft.
I doubt this is normal, my cr250 doesnt have it, but I wanted to check.

Thanks in advance, and I love the board guys!

Scott-300ex
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeh, I'd say thats not supposed to happen, you could ask a shop, but maybe an inner bearing I'd say.

Nice R.

FrankenWheeler
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah, thanks Scott.
It doesn't seem normal, hehe. Maybe someone will chime in and say that it is so I can feel better about my purchase!!

Otherwise I guess I'm tearing it down...

deathman53
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
thats not normal, sprocket could be loose, or bearign inside is broke, I had it both happen to my bikes. When the bearing broke, I replaced the cases, as the cost of all the bearings and my case had some damage on it, in the couterbalance holder area.

mfr422
03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Baaad bearing, the end of the shaft should have no play in it, just like your cr. Sounds like it's time to look inside your cases unfortunately, assuming your talking about up and down play not in and out. :eek2: Good luck.

86 Quad R
03-06-2007, 07:18 AM
provided yor talking up/down, side/side. i'd have to agree. the bearing is going bad. i wouldnt run it any longer. it could have an adverse affect on other tranny components.

FrankenWheeler
03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
yep, up and down side to side play.
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll be tearing down.
It has a 300 kit on it, (which rocks!) But I'd like to get new cases for it. Would the new cases need to be machined for the 300 kit?

Also if there are any good rebuild threads could someone leave me the links.
Thanks again!

86 Quad R
03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
nahhhh! the 300 kit will bolt right up to a set of cases but, unless your cases are toast. there really isnt a need to replace em. get yaself a shop manual and read up on it. if your mechanically inclined at all. you shouldnt have any problem. use a common sense approach to the inspection of the internal parts and of bearings for wear.

FrankenWheeler
03-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh yea, forgot to mention the hairline crack on my drainbolt hole, hehe.
And the P.O. crossthreaded it too, yippe!:rolleyes:

FrankenWheeler
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
I put the sprocket back on and checked for play and there is none now. I then realized that the little collar that goes over the output shaft that the oil seal seats on wasn't pushed in all the way...
So when that collar is out it seems like there is booku play in it!
Am I learning now? YEP.
:blah:

Scott-300ex
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Ha, Nice, at least its fixed.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-07-2007, 07:24 AM
If the shaft had play in it with the sprocket off, then that play is still there in the bearing.
Probably whats happening with the sprocket bolted back on, the collar that goes over the shaft behind the sprocket, that collar & seal is holding the shaft in place & not letting the play in the shaft be shown.
Best to replace that bearing & if that one is worn out, what about the other bearings in the transmission.
Neil

FrankenWheeler
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Well now that I have the seal out to me it looks like the wrong bearing was used. The output shaft moves easily 3-4mm within the inner race of the bearing. (check the pic, see that gap?) Am I missing something? should there be a sleeve or something that slides inbetween the shaft and bearing?

This does not seem right and the only other thing that was in there was this o-ring, but it seems unlikely that the shaft rides on that alone....

The bearing is good it just seems too big for the shaft!!
Please help :confused: thanks

FrankenWheeler
03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
nt

86 Quad R
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
that would appear to be the wrong bearing. i recently tore down a engine that i'm building for my son. i'll compare his counter shaft to the conter shaft bearing when i get home this evening en post my findings. :cool:

FrankenWheeler
03-07-2007, 01:34 PM
thanks man :)

C-LEIGH RACING
03-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Thats deff the wrong bearing.
My thinking now is, wonder where who ever installed it got that bearing from & if they missed that detail in fittment, what else did they miss while putting the engine together.

The output shaft is suppost to be a slip fit through the bearing but not real loose.
It should be a tight enough fit through the bearing that if a little rust was to be on the shaft, it might not go through the bearing easy.

You have the splitting the cases job ahead of you.
Neil

86 Quad R
03-08-2007, 08:01 AM
neil is absolutely correct. i dug out the sons tranny and slipped the counter shaft into the bearing and had resistance from the buildup that is on the shaft. very close tolerances......

im wondering how long your engine was run with this particular bearing?

personally i would have to splt the cases to see what other issues may exist. if nothing more than to inspect the tranny for wear that may have accured from the slack countershaft.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-08-2007, 08:25 AM
This is the very reason right here I would 10 times rather buy a 250R engine taken apart & in a 5 gallon bucket than one put together.
Neil

FrankenWheeler
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
You guys are right, how do I know there isn't other issues going on in there...
What a lame-o the P.O. is, I mean how do you miss something like that???

The engine runs excellent and is very fast, I'm just hoping the bearing is the only problem.

Do you guys like service honda, bike bandit, planet honda, etc? and are all the gasket brands similar in quality?

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

FrankenWheeler
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm ordering a manual now, but what special tools should I order for the teardown?
I'm sure there are other ways for certain things but what tool cant I live without?!

thanks

Aceman
03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
My thinking now is, wonder where who ever installed it got that bearing from & if they missed that detail in fittment, what else did they miss while putting the engine together.

I agree. If they screw something up that critical, imagine how the rest of the quad is put together. If I found something like that on a newly purchased quad, I'd immediately tear the whole thing down for inspection/lubrication and put it back together. You don't want to take a chance and ride it to have something like a shock bolt come out, etc. Look it over good!

86 Quad R
03-08-2007, 03:32 PM
about the only special tools i can think of right off is:

a penny or two - to wedge the crank gears when breaking the crank bolt

a rubber mallet - to break the cases

a fly wheel puller - to remove the fly wheel

2 old steals and a fiber plate - to break the inner clutch hub nut

a pair of vise grips - to hold the 2 steals and fiber plate together

an impact(electric or air)

zip ties to hold the tranny after removal

:cool:

FrankenWheeler
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
ahh, zip ties to hold the tranny, very clever!! :D

C-LEIGH RACING
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Dont forget the duct tape, it aint a man alive that can call himself a man that dont have a roll of duct tape somewhere around his house or shop. :D
Neil

FrankenWheeler
03-09-2007, 02:33 AM
haha, last weekend I was all packed for the dunes and did my last minute look around the garage, guess what two things I forgot to pack?

yep, zip ties and duct tape! :blah:

what a douche