PDA

View Full Version : Skidplates for mx?

quadgeek631
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I was wondering what most of you mx riders do about skid plates? It seems like a lot of time you just see engine skids on mx quads. Does anyone run a-arms skids or swingarm skids for mx?

max777
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
i know people who run swingarm skids, but personally i just use the stock plastic skid on the swingarm. you dont need A-arm skids but i would definatly invest in an engine skid, armadillo skids are light and cheap i would go with that

400exrider707
03-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah I see quite a few different combos, but never a-arm guards. I ordered a chassis skid to give it a shot and see if I like it. I've seen some bottom of frames get literally trashed in a few races from hitting the ground so much. I know blingstar makes one now that covers pretty much just the engine, looked pretty nice, I ordered a pro-armor chassis myself, we'll see how it works.

quadgeek631
03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I purchased a small engine skidplate from ac, because like you said the bottom of my frame was thrashed. My stock swingarm skid was also very beat up, that's why I was looking into getting a heavier duty skid for that. But my real question is on the a-arm guards. I mean, people spend a grand on a-arms, I don't understand why nobody runs skids on them for mx? Do they not offer as much protection as other skids or what?

bwamos
03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by quadgeek631
I mean, people spend a grand on a-arms, I don't understand why nobody runs skids on them for mx? Do they not offer as much protection as other skids or what?

In MX you shouldn't be hitting large rocks/stumps with yorr a-arms. So should be no real need for the a-arm guards.

300ex mxracer
03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
i will be trying a CF chassis skid hopefully ordering it this week. ill let ya know how it is.

max777
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
if you get a skid plate for your swing arm, check it frequently. my freind had one and the brake rotor carved a slot into the metal after a while and the brakes got locked in there while he was jumping and he flipped over. but all i am saying is to check them once in a while for damage and what not

400exrider707
03-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by max777
if you get a skid plate for your swing arm, check it frequently. my freind had one and the brake rotor carved a slot into the metal after a while and the brakes got locked in there while he was jumping and he flipped over. but all i am saying is to check them once in a while for damage and what not

Thats scary that he didn't even know until it flipped him over... I know I clean my quad after every ride and would definitely know something like that... you would have to be legally blind to miss something like that...

300ex mxracer... I cant even get a CF hood to last more than a couple races I cant imagine the skid plate being much better.:ermm:

JW450R1
03-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Yea,that happened to me with my old banshee.Boy that was a fun ride when it locked up.

NacsMXer
03-08-2007, 07:40 AM
I run just a AC chassis skid on mine. Really takes the beating off the frame for MX as there are a good amount of scratches in it from normal use. I like how it is nice and lightweight, not overkill for MX at all....more like a tough skin for the frame. The fact that it extends over the front bumper comes in handy if you bump into somebody too. If it ever gets dented just pound it out with a mallet against a hard surface and it's good as new.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p8d62aae1d0c9d8b565895276ad0aea1b/eea25d63.jpg

quadgeek631
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Thats scary that he didn't even know until it flipped him over... I know I clean my quad after every ride and would definitely know something like that... you would have to be legally blind to miss something like that...

300ex mxracer... I cant even get a CF hood to last more than a couple races I cant imagine the skid plate being much better.:ermm:

If you have nothing nice to say......Shut the F*** up! Why is it that all you do is downgrade people and their parts???

300ex mxracer
03-10-2007, 07:18 AM
wtf? hes just stating his opinion. if you take regular care of your quad, you should see that your rotor is digging into your swinger skid. also i bet that the cf hood and skidplate are made from different materials or something because ive talked to numerus people who havent had any problems with them. i only race mx so we'll see how it goes.

400exrider707
03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 300ex mxracer
wtf? hes just stating his opinion. if you take regular care of your quad, you should see that your rotor is digging into your swinger skid. also i bet that the cf hood and skidplate are made from different materials or something because ive talked to numerus people who havent had any problems with them. i only race mx so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah I thought about that too, the hoods are pretty much paper thin, it literally almost ripped completely off my quad with the first tiny bit of contact I made with another racer.

Also blingstar makes a chassis skid that is only like half length, I thought about looking at it but went with a pro-armor anyways.

300ex mxracer
03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
the one im am getting is like 3/16"-1/4" thick i think so it should hold up better

400exrider707
03-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by 300ex mxracer
the one im am getting is like 3/16"-1/4" thick i think so it should hold up better

Definitely, could you post a pic of it when you get it? Thanks.

300ex mxracer
03-13-2007, 07:55 PM
this is the pic i have of one but its not on my quad.