PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with future mods...

trxsandman
03-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm looking for some top end pull. Please don't get me wrong, but the YFZ 450 lacks in this area. I'm in Glamis every other weekend and I'm looking for some extra power in fourth gear. When I drag up Olds the bike runs hard 2nd thru 3rd, but it falls on its face in 4th. What kind of Mod's would you suggest to help in this area. I'm running a CT Racing full exhaust system, K&n filter w/ no lid, and a 165 jet. Please help me out...

nicker71
03-05-2007, 10:53 AM
thats weird my yfz is all top and lacks bottom. but mines a 05

trxsandman
03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
The YFZ 450's 04 thru 07 are all great on the bottom end. If you have never been to Glamis then I will try to explain what olds is. Its a long sand hill. It's not that steep, but its steep enough to make a piped YFZ fall on its face in 4th. It seems to me that the stock gearing is great 1st thru 3rd but unless your on a track or flat ground 4th and 5th just don't pull hard enough. I'm not looking for top end speed. I'm looking for top end pull. As of now 4th gear just stays at about 3000 to 4000 RPM I want to mod the bike to have it sit at around 8000 to 9000.

06YFZ450SE
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Try putting on a 15 tooth front sprocket. That helps on Topend speed. My YFZ450 has enought power in low and topend now my mods are in my sig.

YFZ#426
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I just put in a 480 kit. Try that it will give you all the power u want!! haha

trxsandman
03-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Whats the stock gearing on the front right now? I'd love to get the 480 kit, but I haven't even put 30 hours on the bike yet. HAHHAHA. After about 50 or so hous it will be getting a little make over at CT Racing. Valves, Ported, and a higher comp. piston. Thanks for the advice thus far if anyone else has a suggestion please let me know what you think???

250r4life
03-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 06YFZ450SE
Try putting on a 15 tooth front sprocket. That helps on Topend speed. My YFZ450 has enought power in low and topend now my mods are in my sig.

that would only make the problem worse...

that would make the gearing higher, and he would be faster in 3rd, but wouldnt be able to pull 4th at all...

you could go down one in the front, and that would make you pull it faster...

also, what paddles are you running?

and, there is always the cam mod...

250r4life
03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by nicker71
thats weird my yfz is all top and lacks bottom. but mines a 05

every YFZ i have ever ridden had top but not bottom end... i always wonder what these guys are talking about...

and then i hear guys saying raptor 660s have lots of top end... i think a lot of people are confused... raptor 660s have tons of bottom end, torque and grunt for days, but not much on top...

thats the reason why i bought the yfz- it is most like a two stroke with that hard hitting top end, and likes to be revved to the moon...

250r4life
03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by trxsandman
I'm looking for some top end pull. Please don't get me wrong, but the YFZ 450 lacks in this area. I'm in Glamis every other weekend and I'm looking for some extra power in fourth gear. When I drag up Olds the bike runs hard 2nd thru 3rd, but it falls on its face in 4th. What kind of Mod's would you suggest to help in this area. I'm running a CT Racing full exhaust system, K&n filter w/ no lid, and a 165 jet. Please help me out...

im thinking you could probably get away with running a little fatter jet too...

i just have the baffle out and a pro design K&N, and mine is dialed in at a 170...

trxsandman
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm running 20x11x10 Extreme Haulers in the rear and 22x8x10 Dune Trackers in the front. The CAM mod is what I'm starting to lean towards, but what are some problems you guys have had happen our heard of happening by bumping the exhaust cam a tooth? It makes more since to just invest in some Stage 2 Web Cams or there equivilents. What do you think??? The CAM mod sounds good, but usually taking the cheap route will always come back and cost you more in the long run. The jetting is perfect at 165 with the CT pipe. Its got 16 disc on the supertrap and we found that to be the best on the dyno. It's pushing right around 48hp. If I drop a tooth in the front I'm afraid I'm going to lose the range I have in 3rd. When I'm duneing I like to stay on the pipe in 3rd, but dropping a tooth up front will more than likely make the bike want to tap into bottom of 4th alot more. Please let me know what you guys think... Thanks for the replies thus far. The information is great.

nicker71
03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Lighter flywheel maybe??

06YFZ450SE
03-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I did the cam mod to mine have had no problems at all. Its free and safe to do. You will make your motor the same timing as the YZ450F motor.

250r4life
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm running 20x11x10 Extreme Haulers in the rear and 22x8x10 Dune Trackers in the front. The CAM mod is what I'm starting to lean towards, but what are some problems you guys have had happen our heard of happening by bumping the exhaust cam a tooth? It makes more since to just invest in some Stage 2 Web Cams or there equivilents. What do you think??? The CAM mod sounds good, but usually taking the cheap route will always come back and cost you more in the long run. The jetting is perfect at 165 with the CT pipe. Its got 16 disc on the supertrap and we found that to be the best on the dyno. It's pushing right around 48hp. If I drop a tooth in the front I'm afraid I'm going to lose the range I have in 3rd. When I'm duneing I like to stay on the pipe in 3rd, but dropping a tooth up front will more than likely make the bike want to tap into bottom of 4th alot more. Please let me know what you guys think... Thanks for the replies thus far. The information is great.

how many paddles on your haulers?

250r4life
03-06-2007, 01:25 PM

the cam mod is safe... as stated its the same timing as the dirtbike...

if youve got all those supertrap discs to muffle the sound, you are also dampening your power...

yes, if you go down one in the front you will have to shift a lot more... you can also go up one or two in the rear, which will not affect is as much as messing with the front...

250r4life
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
im in the exact situation as you are in by the way.... with the exception of patton, i can run all the hills in 4th, but am actually faster in 3rd...

im hoping with getting an aftermarket exhaust and doing the cam mod, i will be able to pull 4th how i want to...

if not, i may try getting some 6 or 7 paddle haulers to switch to at night...

trxsandman
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
There are 8 paddles on the Haulers. I'm running about 3.5psi all the way around. The disc on the supertrapp are there to create more HP, not kill the sound the pipe is right around 102 dB right now. I'm going to be in Glamis this weekend and then again on the weekend of the 23rd. I'm gonna try to play with the gears this trip and see what happens. If its good then problem solved, but if not I'll try the CAM MOD for the trip on the 23rd. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Is anyone here gonna be in Glamis on either of the weekends???

250r4life
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
you probably would have been a little better with a paddle or two less...

pump those suckers up...

i may be in glamis one of those weekends... if i am i'll let you know...