PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gear problem

PismoLocal
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Ok heres the deal i am almost positive I stripped out third gear but I just want to ask on this site and see if any one has any opinions.
When I shift into third and slowly accelerate (from 0 to 1/3 throttle) the quad is fine, but if I accelerate from 1/3 to full throttle The quad feels like it shifts into nuetral for a split second but then catches and takes off. Under constant throttle it pulls for about a second and then slips, revs up, and then catches and then it will pull for another second and then slip and rev and then catch and it does this cycle over and over again. It only slips for about half a second so I think I might have lost a tooth or two on one of the gears in the tranny. It only does this in third gear though all the other gears run fine. Any experience backed opinions?

Honda#4
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
have you looked at the clutch.

PismoLocal
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
have you looked at the clutch.
Not yet I only have 10 laps on a mx track and 2 dune trips on my plates.

Honda#4
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I think it would be more so your clutch leting go, when I ride my quad at WOT sometimes it slips out of fifth gear then I have to put it back into the gear.

If you lost gears in the tranny I don't think you would move much that or the gear would lock up on you and you would be able to move.

400ex18
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
It sounds like to me that you have some teath messing on ur third gear in the tranny! i striped out secound in mine! And it was a ***** to fix!

Wheelie
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Mine did the same thing before I installed the stroker, actually the transmission failure was part of the reason I installed the stroker. The cases were split--why not?

I digress--in my case the teeth on all gears in the trans were fine, however I had one shifting fork with some unusual wear on the fingers. Also the 'fingers' that grab the shifting collar were lightly rounded on the ends, causing the trans to kick in and out of 3rd under a load. I believe the 3rd gear failure also caused the shifting fork to look the way it did.

If you're mechanically inclined, have tools and a service manual, it's not a hard fix. Just time consuming.

PismoLocal
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Mine did the same thing before I installed the stroker, actually the transmission failure was part of the reason I installed the stroker. The cases were split--why not?

I digress--in my case the teeth on all gears in the trans were fine, however I had one shifting fork with some unusual wear on the fingers. Also the 'fingers' that grab the shifting collar were lightly rounded on the ends, causing the trans to kick in and out of 3rd under a load. I believe the 3rd gear failure also caused the shifting fork to look the way it did.

If you're mechanically inclined, have tools and a service manual, it's not a hard fix. Just time consuming.

Yep thats how its acting. Under light throttle it doesn't slip but when I pin it or hold it at an aggressive throttle position it clicks out of third for a little and then catches. When it catches its not a subtle catch like the clutch slipping its more violent and feels like I popped the clutch reved out in second.

How much work is involved with spliting the cases. I rebuilt my head, installed a hotcam/CRF cam chain, new cylinder, put on new clutch plates/hinson basket, a new cylinder, and a 440 piston. I have worked on my motor a lot, but I would like to know some more about what has to be done before I decide what to do. Could you maybe give me a summary of what has to be done once the top end is off?

Wheelie
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM
The engine doesn't have to torn down much further than what where your's was at when you installed the cam chain/440 kit.

Remove the stator, flywheel, clutch and basket, primary gears, sprocket, oil pump (I don't remember if it was necessary, I removed it for inspection) and remove all the case bolts--then split the cases.

Don't let the transmission scare ya'. You'll be suprised how simple the transmission is once the cases are split. IMO--buy a Honda manual, it shows where every washer/bolt goes. Which will come in handy once the trans is tore down. Take you're time, pay attention where everything goes (label stuff if necessary) and it'll be done before you know it.

FYI--I bought a OE Honda gasket set, it was just over $100 I believe. I also bought a complete second trans off ebay, took the two transmissions and made one. If anything had the slightest amount of wear on it anywhere, I replaced it. I didn't want to skimp, because I didn't want to split the cases again.

Sorry for being long winded.

PismoLocal
03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
The engine doesn't have to torn down much further than what where your's was at when you installed the cam chain/440 kit.

Remove the stator, flywheel, clutch and basket, primary gears, sprocket, oil pump (I don't remember if it was necessary, I removed it for inspection) and remove all the case bolts--then split the cases.

Don't let the transmission scare ya'. You'll be suprised how simple the transmission is once the cases are split. IMO--buy a Honda manual, it shows where every washer/bolt goes. Which will come in handy once the trans is tore down. Take you're time, pay attention where everything goes (label stuff if necessary) and it'll be done before you know it.

FYI--I bought a OE Honda gasket set, it was just over $100 I believe. I also bought a complete second trans off ebay, took the two transmissions and made one. If anything had the slightest amount of wear on it anywhere, I replaced it. I didn't want to skimp, because I didn't want to split the cases again.

Sorry for being long winded.
The Longer and more detailed the better. Looks like I'm in the market for a stroker crank and new transmission.

Hows this for a starting parts list am I missing any thing?
Stroker crank
crank shaft bearings
complete gasket kit
new trans

mod440ex
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
you should go with the stroker 500 kit from four stroke tech. that would be one bad ex after it was done.

PismoLocal
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex
you should go with the stroker 500 kit from four stroke tech. that would be one bad ex after it was done.
I'm not interested in the 500cc kit. I have looked into them and I couldn't find out very much info. I want something that above every thing else is reliable.

brokenmike
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
If you broke a tooth or 2 off of a gear it would do it the whole time it is in that gear. It should feel like you only have 1 tooth on your front sprocket. When I broke a tooth off of 2nd gear I went and put a hotrod crank and a 440 kit in mine.

Wheelie
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
The Longer and more detailed the better. Looks like I'm in the market for a stroker crank and new transmission.

Hows this for a starting parts list am I missing any thing?
Stroker crank
crank shaft bearings
complete gasket kit
new trans

An HD con-rod. It's an extra $200 bones, but money well spent. One more note, if you end up removing the crank, it's a bit of a PITA to get back in correctly. The crank itself isn't bad, but pressing it back into the cases while keeping the counterbalancer timed correctly can be frustrating. It's not that big of a deal, just something to watch out for.

Also, be sure to buy a flywheel puller.