PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex how to run more than ltz or 450 trx stock???

crazyquader
03-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Hello all..

I am from portugal and i was wondering what can i do to go faster and quicker than an ltz 400 and/or a stock (or piped) trx450???

dont have much to spend though, thats why i was wondering if u guys could help.

dont want no bore kit's as they are expensive here in pt.:ermm: and i dont have that much money...

like, pipes, jet's, or even cheaper. i already have a uni air filter.

thank you all, and great bikes and forum.

yours trully,

myself and i. :D

bwamos
03-05-2007, 12:29 PM
My suggestion would be get a High compression piston 10.8:1(stock bore). XR Gaskets, Cam. Full Pipe. Filter. Rejet.

You probably wont be outrunning a stock 450r.. but you should keep up ok.

dg26
03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
put some NOS on that bad boy

crazyquader
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
thank you all in advance.

bwamos, isnt a piston expensive??
how about cams?

maybe instead of a pistom, a bore kit...

a full pipe is in my mind.

how about any other cheap mods?

even though i think that a full pipe isnt quite cheap.

as it goes for like 700 euro here in pt.

like 1000 american. :ermm: .

dg26, good one, but, nitrous???? lol no need to go that crazy, and again, i wanna go fast enough under cheap mods.

so, what more besides the pipe?

its really hard for me to get a carburator here in portugal... i was trying to get a 450 one.

my target is to really smash that ltz, as the guy is always making fun of my trx.... no big deal but.... i cant stand it anymore..... and that thing only has 2hp more that my trx both stock...( i am not a kid to react like this but sometimes i behave like one..on this matter for ex. .. lol)

thank you all..

bwamos
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Nah, pistons are realatively cheap.

A new piston is about $125 +/-

A bore kit usually includes a new piston.

weekendracer91
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
440 kit
mild cam
full system exhaust
air and fuel kit

youlll keep up fine with a 450

crazyquader
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by weekendracer91
440 kit
mild cam
full system exhaust
air and fuel kit

youlll keep up fine with a 450

i c, but i am trying to go cheap.

and also trying not to open either top or bottom end of the engine.

so i think i would exclude pistons, cams, bore kits, etc.

would a cdi work good?

i actualy need between 3 to 5 hp so i can rip off that LTZ.

thank you all once again.

Wheelie
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Remove or drill holes in the airbox lid, remove choke, modify the stock spark arrestor and re-jet.

You'll gain a very noticable increase in power and the cost will only be a few bucks for the jets.

pigpin
03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
modify the stock spark arrestor <<< explain!!

maxamillion
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
To pick up a few cheap horse power...

Sparks timing advance flywheel key (use 93 octane fuel) $20
HMF slip on exhaust $220
HotCam stage 2 $120
Rejet carb

You wont have to dig to far into the motor to perform these upgrades.

Wheelie
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I did it when I first got my quad, and I was on a budget.

Remove the stock baffle. Once it's out, remove the stock spark arrestor--in one piece so it can be re-used. Take a cut off wheel and remove the restrictive core to the baffle. Slide the spark arrestor back in place and tack weld it.

Believe it or not this made a noticable difference.

crazyquader
03-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by maxamillion
To pick up a few cheap horse power...

Sparks timing advance flywheel key (use 93 octane fuel) $20
HMF slip on exhaust $220
HotCam stage 2 $120
Rejet carb

You wont have to dig to far into the motor to perform these upgrades.

with these mod's, how much faster will it go from ltz 400? fast and quick enough not to catch me???

and he will only know about the pipe.....

also, as i do a lot of mud tracks and small "rivers", i think its better not to remove or drill the airbox lid... dont you guys think?

thank you all, keep posting...

my main objective is to go way faster than the ltz and also with no big changes so he thinks that mine is stock....

tanks once again.

04450rrider
03-06-2007, 07:04 AM
You could also try switching to a smaller front sprocket. Then get your pipe and cams.

Mods isnt the only thing that is goin to make u faster. You have to be a good rider at the same time.

pigpin
03-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Mods isnt the only thing that is goin to make u faster. You have to be a good rider at the same time

AMEN

crazyquader
03-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by pigpin
Mods isnt the only thing that is goin to make u faster. You have to be a good rider at the same time

AMEN

People say i am.... lol

at least, i was really good for like 3 years im mx, not quad, but..... national champeon for 3 years...

what i really want is to get more power than a ltz.... so i can pull more, not only at mud but also in drag....... :)

thank's

pitchblack400
03-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Your pretty much not able to add power to a motor without money. If your wanting to add power to make a big difference your going to need to spend more money. The air box modifications and jets, are really the only cheap mods that you can do. That and drop one tooth on the front cog, that will make you a considerable difference in acceleration.

But man what your really saying is like you want 20'' wheels but you dont want to spend over 500 dollars. And you wont accept anything else besides 20''s made by a certain brand and style.

You should probably look at the used parts section on here alot and keep track of the good used parts that are for sale. I bought a big gun slip on for 25 bux and a boy owed me some money and gave me a hottcam stg2 cam for the money. Thats really the only way of gettin parts for cheap.

Speed is money, how fast can you afford?